Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So basically i got some noob questions that u professionals can help me with quickly. It is appreciated.

I am attempting my first oil change with Mobile1 oil. I am doing my oil change exactly how this guy in this video does it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHtijvOAgwM

Now my questions are:

1.) What size do i need for that oil drain plug washer?
2.) Is it a MUST to always put a new washer on the drain bolt?
3.) Where do i get a "oil filter cup socket"? Do random bike stores sell these?
4.)I have read on here that many people tighten their oil filter with their hands and actually don't go by spec. What should i do?

When i am finished do i few the oil threw the sight glass while the bike is off the stands like normally? Or do i view the oil when the bike is on the stands to see if it is between the full and low line? I am 95% sure it is without the stand.

----

Shogun no-cut slider install. Can some please post a picture of your bike with sliders on? More specifically the 2013 636. I am mechanically dumb and i need to see the location of where these sliders are installed. My bike is in storage and i had about 4 days riding experience with it since i bought it last late fall. So a picture (close picture) of where it should be installed should do me fine.

Any advice on these shogun installs? Are they difficult like the previous years where we had to pull off all the plastic to get to the bolt? Or is the 2013 pretty easy to install these on?

Thanks!

·
Registered
879 Posts
1. i just use a wrench to remove the oil drain bolt.
2. i will probably catch flak for this, but i've done 10+ oil changes on just 2 washers, i think they are reusable but they are crushable and if you tighten too much the washer will be useless after the next time you remove the bolt.
3. the cup sockets are useless as hell. get one of these from your local auto supply store (i got this from autozone):

just use this device to remove the oil filter, not to install it. it will more than likely bend/damage the filter during the removal process, but this is no big deal as you will be throwing it away.
4. hand tight is ok on the oil filter, DO NOT OVER CRANK IT. just make sure it's on their nice and snug.

when you are finished, view the oil level while hte bike is level. if you have it on hte kickstand, the oil will look low or not even be visible. Also, turn the bike on and let it run for a couple of minutes or let it run while it's on the bike stands. this will let the oil fill up in the oil filter and give you a true reading.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ilotek you are awesome. Thank you very much. Any idea what that thing is called when I go to autozone?

Anyone got any pics of the exact location to install these sliders?

·
Registered
879 Posts
oh and a piece of friendly advice: i use the K&N filters now. the built in exposed nut makes installing/removing SO EASY.

the filter remover i posted above is called a cam action filter wrench socket.

·
Registered
42 Posts
uploadfromtaptalk1397784940003.jpg heres the shogun sliders. They are really easy to install u put the sliders on the hole that allready has a screw on it and isnt covered with the plastic tab

·
Registered
879 Posts
i'll check in my service manual tomorrow to see if it specifies the size of the crush washer. if worse comes to worst you could always just take the drain plug out during your oil change and bring the washer to home depot while you wait for the oil to fully drain and see if you can find an equivalent sized washer...

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Oh Yea, Any idea on the size of the oil drain plug washer? Anyone?
Just reuse the original washer. I'm still on the original washer at around 50,000 miles now.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I was wondering about this since I am 2k miles from my next oil change. I noticed the oil filter is conveniently placed on its side rather than traditional oil filters that are at the bottom of engines. Does removing the oil filter make a mess after draining the oil??:eh:

·
Registered
879 Posts
I was wondering about this since I am 2k miles from my next oil change. I noticed the oil filter is conveniently placed on its side rather than traditional oil filters that are at the bottom of engines. Does removing the oil filter make a mess after draining the oil??:eh:
not if you are smart about removing it. below the oil filter on the 2013 is a little plastic guard that collects and funnels any oil away from the center of the bike. the only problem is that the plastic guard gets in the way of any type of wrench you might want to use to remove the filter. so you have to remove the plastic guard (2 screws hold it in place) then use whatever wrench works for you to just loosen the oil filter, but not remove it. then reinstall the plastic guard and put more paper/towels below it to catch any oil that might come out of the filter. fully remove the filter and as quickly as possible lift it upright so no more oil spills out. if you do it right, you might only have to clean up a few drops.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Do u have any pics?

So.. I THINK i take the long bolt and shove it threw the slider and install it on the bike. But i am unsure what the black pieces are that are on the bottom of the picture. Are they spacers? If so, do i install the bolts threw the spacer into the slider then install it on the bike?

Reason im asking this is because i have seen a few people on here with the shogun kit and it didn't seem like they had these black pieces. Maybe they did and i missed it. Also, the long bolts are the same length and i read someone on here that the "short bolt" goes with the short slider.... ?? Well i don't have a short bolt. lol

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts