Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm debating on swapping out the fork springs in my 2003 Kawasaki ZX6RR. My question is: Is the swap worth it for me at this point?

I've been riding for a few solid years (~10k miles) and am planning my first trackday this summer. So far, I've done one riding school on a smaller track. Racetech recommends .90 kg/mm springs for me while the stock springs are .85 kg/mm (although I'm sure they're worn with 26k on the bike).

I just installed a 2012 ZX6R rear shock and have new fork fluid ready to dump in my bike so I figured maybe I should think about swapping the springs. I'm just not sure if my riding is to the point where the new fork springs would be beneficial or if I'm better off swapping fluid and just getting the oem suspension set for my weight for now?

Thanks all.

·
Registered
577 Posts
If you are doing the fluid, you are right there to do the springs. change the springs, seals and the fluid, and get the front and rear set up and measured for you at the track by the local track suspension tech.

suspension set up, and balancing the bike, to the rider, is VERY IMPORTANT to get the most out of the rider and bike.

correct suspension set ups, are better than ANY OTHER performance upgrade you can do to the bike.

Ski

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
If you are doing the fluid, you are right there to do the springs. change the springs, seals and the fluid, and get the front and rear set up and measured for you at the track by the local track suspension tech.

suspension set up, and balancing the bike, to the rider, is VERY IMPORTANT to get the most out of the rider and bike.

correct suspension set ups, are better than ANY OTHER performance upgrade you can do to the bike.

Ski
What is another $100 in springs for your weight? It really does make a more enjoyable track day when the ride is set up for you. Enjoy

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
If you have the time and $, may as well get the rear tuned too.
Is your bike doing street and track? Call around a few suspension service centres, get some prices and some advice.
Good luck:)

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input everyone. Looks like I will start shopping for new springs and then have my suspension fine tuned when I go to the track.

What is everyone using brand-wise? So far I'm looking at Racetech and Sonic Springs.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I have used Traxxon Dynamics mostly as well. AK-20's on the 10r, Ak-Gas on the 6RR, penske triples for both rears. Get the spring perch if you change out the rear spring. really makes the shock last. The Eibach springs have lasted well. I have the RaceTech emulators with their choice of spring (been awhile) with no complaints on the '90 7R although the Fox twin clicker is outdated.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts