Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a new helmet visor for my Scorpion helmet, and was blown away by how clear it is. Evidently I do major, major damage to visors when I clean them with a paper towel. I really have to stop doing that, but I'm not sure what my alternatives are.

How does everyone else clean their visor, or do you figure that a new visor per every year is normal and you just live with the damage done by paper towels?

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Plexus and blue shop paper towel. Should have altleast 3 extra visors on hand for the cool factor. When debugging, place a wet paper towel over the said visor and let it soak a minute.

·
Administrator
8,182 Posts
I have a transitions visor on my Bell helmet and I was a little worried about which chemicals or fabrics might degrade the coating but I haven't had any issues using Sprayrite glass cleaner and blue shop towels or a washcloth. I know... you guys all use your fancy special products and I'm all over here like: "Anybody got any tonic water and a washcloth?"

*shrug*

Then again, I don't spend more than 200 dollars on a helmet anyway because I use them every day. :p So maybe it's best to clarify which members are anal retentive about their gear care and which of us just do what we gotta do.

I also use Armor-All on my leather jackets. :p :D

·
Registered
402 Posts
Spray way is super safe and cheap my local tint shop told me it's safe for their film so I figure it safe on my screens haven't had a issue yet!!

·
Administrator
8,182 Posts
Spray way is super safe and cheap my local tint shop told me it's safe for their film so I figure it safe on my screens haven't had a issue yet!!
Maybe that's what I'm thinking of. Blue aerosol can? Some white on it? I use it to give my bikes french-whore baths too.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I usually use a damp microfiber cloth to get the bugs and dirt off. Then i spray wax it once its clean and dry.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have a transitions visor on my Bell helmet and I was a little worried about which chemicals or fabrics might degrade the coating but I haven't had any issues using Sprayrite glass cleaner and blue shop towels or a washcloth. I know... you guys all use your fancy special products and I'm all over here like: "Anybody got any tonic water and a washcloth?"
I purchased a Bell Star Cerwinske Carbon Fiber with the transitions lens when it first came out (2011), I spent about $1000 for the helmet and visor so I am very careful with how I clean mine. I use running soft water and gently rub my visor with my clean hands until it is cleaned off. I then use a micro-fiber cloth to dry it off. I have had my helmet since they first came out and not a single scratch is on the visor.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I also have the Bell photochromic (carbon star), and I live in gnat country. I wash mine twice a day 4 times a week during the bug season. I like using "Lysol Dual Action Wipes". They are very wet, and have a textured side that makes getting the bugs off very easy with light pressure. Been doing that for 2 years and it has not affected the tinting or clarity.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I also have the Bell photochromic (carbon star), and I live in gnat country. I wash mine twice a day 4 times a week during the bug season. I like using "Lysol Dual Action Wipes". They are very wet, and have a textured side that makes getting the bugs off very easy with light pressure. Been doing that for 2 years and it has not affected the tinting or clarity.

Never thought about using Lysol wipes on my transitions. I've always just used soap and water with a microfiber cloth

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you use Windex and products of the like they will make the visor brittle over time and presumably less safe in the unwanted even of a crash. I just use water and a microfiber and that seems to be enough even if I was slacking and let those bugs dry over night.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Define "over time"?

If we are talking 3 years worth of daily exposure to windex before structural integrity is compromised, I can live with that. It'll be scratched and replaced before that happens.

·
Registered
196 Posts
little dish soap and warm/hot water..........thats it blow with hair dryer or ride with it ....... never use shop or paper towel..... use your finger but only after soaked for a while

1 - 20 of 20 Posts