Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys
I'm supposed to be picking up a 2013 616 on Saturday. I've confirmed it does have the cold start issue. I called kawasaki about having the ECU replaced, not only will they not do it, the lady I talked too (Stephanie, aka satan) refused to acknowledge there is an issue with them. She said it's the first she has heard of the problem. Liar!!!!!

Anyways, worst case scenario is it won't get fixed. Is it a really big deal if I leave it as is? Does it just take an extra push of the start button to get it going? Does it get worse with time???? Is it really more of an annoyance problem more then anything???????

I guess what I'm asking is, should I pass on buying the bike this weekend if it has the cold start issue and can't get kawasaki to replace it

Chime in let me know. Thanks

·
Registered
972 Posts
Hey guys
I'm supposed to be picking up a 2013 616 on Saturday. I've confirmed it does have the cold start issue. I called kawasaki about having the ECU replaced, not only will they not do it, the lady I talked too (Stephanie, aka satan) refused to acknowledge there is an issue with them. She said it's the first she has heard of the problem. Liar!!!!!

Anyways, worst case scenario is it won't get fixed. Is it a really big deal if I leave it as is? Does it just take an extra push of the start button to get it going? Does it get worse with time???? Is it really more of an annoyance problem more then anything???????

I guess what I'm asking is, should I pass on buying the bike this weekend if it has the cold start issue and can't get kawasaki to replace it

Chime in let me know. Thanks
It's not too big a deal, just takes a few starts but they should fix it. A poster here, RK something can help.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Here I am !!!!! Lol

I pmd you back OP .

I gave you the Richards direct number . Hopefully you get it all resolved !

My bike stalled from day 1 .. it even stalled on my sales guy when he was showing me the bike before picking it up ... I just had no idea it would be an ongoing issue lol .

Plus my view on the issue is this ... the bike was brand new .... it shouldn't have any issues . And if it does and the dealer duplicates the issue in personn, the issue should be resolved or noted .

Thankfully after lots of fighting and arguments it all worked out . !

·
Registered
161 Posts
Rk! Mind sending me that number too? Mine has the issue, and its still on warrenty, but I'm told I'm SOL by my dealer

·
Registered
135 Posts
Is this a Canada thing? I was having the cold start problem from day 1 and when I brought her in to the dealer for the 600 mile service, THEY replaced the ECU without me even asking about it. I'm sorry you're having this issue, but like 2y4life said, it's not too big a deal, just takes a few starts. I've also heard on another thread of guys turning up the idle speed only 200 RPM and that "fixed" the problem.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Is this a Canada thing? I was having the cold start problem from day 1 and when I brought her in to the dealer for the 600 mile service, THEY replaced the ECU without me even asking about it. I'm sorry you're having this issue, but like 2y4life said, it's not too big a deal, just takes a few starts. I've also heard on another thread of guys turning up the idle speed only 200 RPM and that "fixed" the problem.
Probably lol they never wanted to replace the ecu comps .. freaking annoying !

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the responses. It Sounds like it's more of an annoyance more then anything. I'll keep fighting with kawasaki, hopefully they will cave. Big props to rkt14 for hooking me up with the number. Much appreciated..

·
Registered
77 Posts
It was an issue for me with the stock idle. I raised 200-300 rpm, and it was *almost* gone. the only few time i had to start the bike a 2nd time, it was near freezing outside.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
It was an issue for me with the stock idle. I raised 200-300 rpm, and it was *almost* gone. the only few time i had to start the bike a 2nd time, it was near freezing outside.
This was still not good enough for me lol . Again new bike .. should in perfect working order ..

I brought my idle up too because thats what kawasaki told me to do. . Mean while they were just lazy and didn't want to start the paperwork to get warranty work done . Funny I paid for extended warranty too and still had to pay for all the check ups .. that's annoying too .

The guy that I dealt with said that adjusting the idle is not a proper fix ( obvioualy lol ) . hhe said dealerships should not be telling people this Because it is misleading

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Thanks for the responses. It Sounds like it's more of an annoyance more then anything. I'll keep fighting with kawasaki, hopefully they will cave. Big props to rkt14 for hooking me up with the number. Much appreciated..
Nooooo problem at all ! hopefully you'll get a hold of him he's a super nice guy . Definitely kept my faith in kawasaki strong .. I was starting to loSe the faith in Kawi because of all the lazy dealerships

·
Registered
161 Posts
With the new exhaust on it. It doesn't actually stall out anymore. But you can hear it struggling and coming close to stalling for the first 3 or 4 seconds before the high idle kicks on

Its my understanding that it should high idle right away and not chug its way there.

Even if its not really as issue ( I was originally just going to live with it) a new ecu is a new ecu. And if I don't have to pay for it.. Why not. Solves an annoyance and gets me a (not so) shiny new part for my bike that makes it run how it should. People pay good money to make their bikes run a little better.. Myself included. This ones on the house

·
Registered
116 Posts
This is the first time I've heard of this problem. I haven't had any problems with mine but I've only had it since August 2014, bought new and mainly used for track day riding. It's completly stock with low miles, under 4000. When does this problem start to show up?

·
Registered
135 Posts
This is the first time I've heard of this problem. I haven't had any problems with mine but I've only had it since August 2014, bought new and mainly used for track day riding. It's completly stock with low miles, under 4000. When does this problem start to show up?
Depends upon when the bike was built. I understand from other threads on this forum that 2013 bikes built after a certain date have the ECU problem fixed at the factory. Since it sounds like yours may be pretty late in the build year, you should be OK. I don't think this cold start issue (or hot start as some other have mentioned) is a problem that can just develop after over time. I'm fairly certain that if you had one of the bad ECUs, you would have problems the first day.

Reactions: 2y4life

·
Registered
46 Posts
I got my 2013 with 0KMs on it in March 2014... Never had any issues, I assume it was a late 2013 model with the improved ECU tune

·
Registered
116 Posts
Depends upon when the bike was built. I understand from other threads on this forum that 2013 bikes built after a certain date have the ECU problem fixed at the factory. Since it sounds like yours may be pretty late in the build year, you should be OK. I don't think this cold start issue (or hot start as some other have mentioned) is a problem that can just develop after over time. I'm fairly certain that if you had one of the bad ECUs, you would have problems the first day.
Whew, thanks for the info! Yeah, I'm sure mine is late production since I bought it from a mega dealership in late August 2014.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Had the cold start issue with my 2014. It's more of an annoyance than a problem. I wouldn't steer away from the bike, because it has this annoyance. All bikes are going to have a quirk about them. If you plan on getting a piggy-back ECU and/or exhaust, then I definitely wouldn't worry about it.

I alleviated the issue by adjusting my idle speed. It was hovering around 1100rpm. I increased it to about 1200-1300rpm and the problem was fixed.

I put on a new exhaust, got rid of the ExUP system and then put on a Bazzaz. This cured the problem 100%. I was even able to adjust my idle speed back down a hair. I think I have it around 1100rpm. Anything more than that, seems to give me a noticeable kick when I go from Neutral to 1st at a stop.

We all know it has a cold start issue, but I would make sure your idle is set to 1300rpm. That is what the service manual calls for and most bikes that come out of the dealerships are set too low. From what I have seen, is they tend to idle around 1000-1100rpms.

G

·
I have a few friends with the 2013 and they don't have any issues, and my '14 starts just fine when cold. If anything it's an ECU issue which would be covered under warranty so you have nothing to worry about. Always let your fuel pump prime before you hit the start button.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts