Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
***First off I know that liter bikes with the same rider is a completely different beast than 600 class bike. I am not trying to debate why you dont need one or why one is better than the other for different types of riding.****

Ok after that disclaimer I have a few questions. I was watching a video of a r1 on the autobahn and it was the first time I saw a bike hit the governor which was 299kmh or 185.47 mph. The liters and hyper-bikes in the states are governed to 189 indicated. So my first question is that With the indicated being 189 wouldn't the actual mph really be in the high 160s low 170s. I ask that because I have seen 600s indicated at 171 on youtube but know that these bikes max realistically at around ~154-156.

My next question is does anyone know what the potential of these liter bikes are without the governor is?

And my final question is with a few mods for top end performance wouldnt a 600 be able to run, top end wise, with a bone stock liter

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
I don't know the actual top speeds of either bikes, but I can tell you 600s are fast and 1000s are fast as fuck. Go do some GPS top speed runs on a closed course.

No lightly modded 600 will keep up with a stock 1000. You would need forced induction on your side.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
O I am not trying to justify my bike as being fast or anything really with me but speaking strictly statistically. And I mean aren't there 600s that have full exhaust, custom tune and gears that can stretch out to top speeds of 165-170??? And that would be stock governed liter territory right?

·
Registered
664 Posts
Once bikes hit the 6th gear map in the ECU it automatically drops the redline rpm down a few hundred rpm and keeps it there.

Get a Factory Pro Teka Fire and that is no longer the case. But you lose your neutral light and will always indicate 5th gear i do believe.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Once bikes hit the 6th gear map in the ECU it automatically drops the redline rpm down a few hundred rpm and keeps it there.

Get a Factory Pro Teka Fire and that is no longer the case. But you lose your neutral light and will always indicate 5th gear i do believe.
And do you kno about how fast te top speed is on a say R1 or Zx10r?

·
Registered
664 Posts
The stated agreement between manufacturers was 186mph i believe. Its going to vary by some degree. No two machines are the same.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Wheres the Ninja ZX12R? Pretty sure i read an article that it reached a speed of over 200mph on test track. This was before the Max MPH agreement in 2000...i think. ill have to look in on that.

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
I don't know the actual top speeds of either bikes, but I can tell you 600s are fast and 1000s are fast as fuck. Go do some GPS top speed runs on a closed course.

No lightly modded 600 will keep up with a stock 1000. You would need forced induction on your side.
Based on my experience I'd have to agree with you...but this says otherwise

A 600

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
The f3 tambourini is a completely different spec from the Normal f3

All carbon fiber, super lightweight..it might be a liter bike killer

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That list is interesting I thought the zx10 was supposed to be faster top end wise compared to the other big four and right behind the BMW.
Also does the fact that the engine limits the bike to a speed does it limit the bike to that ACTUAL speed or the INDICATED Speed? Because if indicated then the bikes wouldn't be fast that's why I proposed the question

·
Registered
462 Posts
Actual speed. I believe the speedo will stop indicating at 186 no matter what. Gps will verify that liter bikes come near this speed though.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
O I am not trying to justify my bike as being fast or anything really with me but speaking strictly statistically. And I mean aren't there 600s that have full exhaust, custom tune and gears that can stretch out to top speeds of 165-170??? And that would be stock governed liter territory right?
We could speak theoretically all day long. It would be similar to the arm chair drag racers comparing a big block chevy to a turbocharger evo in a quarter mile.

Based on my experience I'd have to agree with you...but this says otherwise

A 600

Looks to be a typo. That's an F4 top speed. Everywhere else claims it is in the 160s.

Actually, let me rephrase from earlier. Add some formula 1 engine designers to motoGP engineering staff and a shit ton of money and I am sure they could come up with a 1000 killing 600.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yea I understands it's more than just the top speed that makes the 1000 elite but I wa wider if purely in too and capabilities ifs my scenario thanks everyone for chiming in

·
Registered
640 Posts
A world supersport bike (145hp, 148kg) might stand a chance against a bone stock basic Thou, like a fireblade or a R1 considering there hp output is relatively low. But of course supersport bike are quite sophisticated things and the engines are going to need a rebuild every so often. But its that whole torque thing too that helps.

It's a pointless argument/debate as a 600 would never keep up with a thou in an outright top speed race.

I've ridden my dad's a 12R before and seen 210 on the clocks, its ridicules how fast them things are, with the big fairing 160 just feels like 100 on the 6R, and you've still got 2 gears left haha!

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Ok after that disclaimer I have a few questions. I was watching a video of a r1 on the autobahn and it was the first time I saw a bike hit the governor which was 299kmh or 185.47 mph. The liters and hyper-bikes in the states are governed to 189 indicated. So my first question is that With the indicated being 189 wouldn't the actual mph really be in the high 160s low 170s. I ask that because I have seen 600s indicated at 171 on youtube but know that these bikes max realistically at around ~154-156.

My next question is does anyone know what the potential of these liter bikes are without the governor is?

And my final question is with a few mods for top end performance wouldnt a 600 be able to run, top end wise, with a bone stock liter
Ahh, so you want to know about speedometer error and what the bike is actually geared for. As an FYI, the 09-12 ZX6Rs are geared to 177mph at 16,000 RPM (redline) according to the math. The speedo error on these are pretty tight so you're not necessarily going to get that large of swing from readout to actual. If anyone knows the gear ratios and sprocket ratios for any bike we can run the calculations, it's not hard.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My zx10r hits 189 at around 12-13K i believe. so it still pulls, the speedo just doesnt go past 189.
Ok this helped answer my question some. Its got to be weird that the speedo stops but bike keeps gaining speed. I wonder what speed you are at when the speedo first hits 189

1 - 20 of 38 Posts