Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an 07 ninja zx6r

i went to the gas station today after the fuel light went on, and i put the nozzle in and filled it until it clicked off. it clicked off after i put in only 2 gallons. huh?
i thought it had a 4.5 gallon fuel tank?
after i put in 2 gallons i could see gas in the tank as if it were clearly full. and i read the fuel light goes on when there is .9 gallons left. so that makes about 3 gallons, right? where's the other 1.5 gallons?

·
Registered
211 Posts
You have to pull the tip of the nozzle out and keep filling. I'm sure you had lots of room left. Those tanks are different from car tanks.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i'm paranoid gas is gonna come squirting out all over the bike/me

·
Registered
211 Posts
It's not. When you get near the top, just don't hold the trigger on the hose down fully and you'll be fine. It wont splash. You can pretty much top if off as much as possible and wont have any problem. Don't go by the automatic shutoff thing.

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
What they all said. If you rock the bike a little it will get rid of some of the air and give you a little more room, too. Your best bet is to fill the bike while you're sitting on it but that's not allowed and probably in your best interests not to do because of the static electricity hazard. If you bring the nozzle all the way out of the tank and keep pumping you'll be fine. You'll be surprised how much more you can get in there.

·
Registered
503 Posts
As above mate.:)
Sitting on the bike is BEST way to fill it up and not a problem over here in UK. When the bike is upright like this you should be able to fill her up to the brim, just more slowly than a car, EASY ON THE TRIGGER!
Fill it up about an inch shy of the filler nozzle.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Sitting on the bike is definately frowned upon here. On a couple of occasions the service station attendants have stopped the pumps and given me a public shaming over the pa. Then comes the inevitable lecture when you go to pay. I stand the bike up and rest it against my legs, and I can usually squeeze 13-14 Litres in there.

·
Registered
503 Posts
wierd!!! In UK we MIGHT get asked to remove helmet prior to paying, but can fill it up how we like!

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
huh thats weird i never heard that static electricity thing

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
and oh yeah thanks for the info everybody i havent tried it yet but i'm sure it'll work now thanks

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
They also make us get off the bike because of the hot exhaust, there is more chance of setting a bike alight than a car, if you spill some and get it on you crotch they don't care, some drips onto the exhaust and it goes up, they still don't care about you crotch, but the bike will fall over, spill the tank load and burn half the servo down.

The extra amount I can get in while it's upright compared to when it's on its stand is insignificant, so I haven't bothered for years.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hey i tried it--- it works. i managed to squeeze in just about an extra 1.5 gallons

·
Registered
316 Posts
What do you have to remove you helmets?

Some places in the UK insist you remove your helmet so that your face can be seen on the cctv cameras, we refuse to remove ours on principle.They dont ask a muslim woman to remove her veil so why should we take our lids off. Further persecution of the biker.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Damn! so much drama just to fill it up! I never take the helmet off, and yeah I do the same trick of pulling the nozzle out a bit and abuse the tank until I get it full. I don't sit on the bike though....I'm too short. You should see me, I laugh at myself. I also like taller women too. LOL

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
I always thought taking your helmet off was good manners. If you have to go inside the store and pay someone over the counter I mean. I don't take mine off when I fill up with my card at the private depots though.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts