Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
7,845 Posts
NEVER EVER fall into the monthly payment trap!!!!!!!!! If they even ask that question, RUN don't walk right out the door- it is a scam always that will cost you way more than talking OTD price!!!

But as to your earlier question about proving eligibility/abilty to pay............. Take the 5k or all of it with you in nice crisp hundred dollar bills.........

My last several purchases of motorcycles I have walked in with cash then asked for the sales manager....... My zzr I plunked down the crisp clean hundos on the desk in front of him and told him what I wanted and what I was willing to pay......... he clicked a few keys on the comuter and within a couple minutes told me I had a deal.....

A few bikes since for customers I have essentially done the exact same method........ be willing to walk away! I have walked away atleast a half dozen times but have always gotten the deal I demanded in less than one day of shopping.
I have even made the deal over the phone once via a text pic image of cash to the sales manager and the promise of being there first thing the next morning (it was about 280 miles away)
and used bikes cash is definitely king in the buying and haggling, sellers can't often ignore those crisp hundos sitting on their seat even when 500 or more less than what they thought they wanted....

Reactions: Strider

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Hmm, riverszzr thanks for the input on your experiences. Having literal cash in hand is a pretty strong motivator for them to actually start listening. Although I am buying new, I still don't want to be treated like some random guy off the street.

I've become a little less attached to the idea of buying from a specific dealer lately, so it may be worth more of my time to go to a couple, and really be willing to walk away until I can get the deal I want. Definitely won't be doing payments, I definitely want the OTD price, I will be able to pay it all. I was thinking a check is probably the easiest way to pay, but you have a point with the cash. I'll have to think about how I want to do this part.

Thanks for all the insight guys, more is always appreciated, and I will update the situation once I start getting some numbers, comparisons, and seeing what I can do.

-Mike

·
Registered
507 Posts
Money always talks. My wife actually bought my first bike for me as a Christmas present (She knew what I wanted and found it at a dealership, called them up and got a price. As she was sitting in the sales office writing out her check the price was different. She closed her checkbook and started to put it in her purse. Dealer had a change of mind and honored the price. She was surprised as the dealership seemed to not know what to do when someone paid cash. LOL, I got the bike, great Christmas present. My wife is usually a much better negator than I am. After Christmas she collected most of the price from me, present was mostly surprising me with permission and a bike! She kept it a total secret, hid it at her brothers house and had him deliver it to her parents house so when we got there she was able to surprise me. My kids even knew - I did wonder why my helmet disappeared that morning.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Hmm, riverszzr thanks for the input on your experiences. Having literal cash in hand is a pretty strong motivator for them to actually start listening. Although I am buying new, I still don't want to be treated like some random guy off the street.

I've become a little less attached to the idea of buying from a specific dealer lately, so it may be worth more of my time to go to a couple, and really be willing to walk away until I can get the deal I want. Definitely won't be doing payments, I definitely want the OTD price, I will be able to pay it all. I was thinking a check is probably the easiest way to pay, but you have a point with the cash. I'll have to think about how I want to do this part.

Thanks for all the insight guys, more is always appreciated, and I will update the situation once I start getting some numbers, comparisons, and seeing what I can do.

-Mike

What part of WA state are you in? Don’t forget that we don’t have sales tax here in Oregon, it may be worth the trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Strider

·
Registered
7,845 Posts
Don't forget..........attendees at the IMS show get a coupon from the kawasaki display people for $500 off any Kawi motorcycle purchase...............easy way to justify going to the show if you plan to buy a motorcycle

$16 entry, another $15 to park and get $500 return on your investment plus get to see a few things all jammed in one place......

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Interesting, I will look into the show.

Im in seattle. I am wondering though, I know some people go to Oregon to buy stuff, but I vaguely remember people saying you end up paying the taxes later regardless... That, or they just make you pay WA taxes if you're a WA resident, and make you fill out paperwork to pay those taxes -but I am not sure if this is actually the case, I've just heard a few reasons why people dont just always do that.

Anyhow, got to test ride my friends 08 6R today, and man, even with the 599cc engine, and a couple mods he did to it, it was a damn good handling bike, the throttle response was super nice right around the throttle transition, and it was stable as hell once it was leaned over. And shockingly comfortable as well. Even got to wring it all the way out in a non-disclosed area, and it was great fun.

Tomorrow is the day I make sure all of my finances are in order to buy the bike, so once I check everything and it looks good, then I will start the buying process, beginning with more research.

Thanks a ton for the tips guys. I'll definitely see how much price busting I can do with cash, and see what I can do. Will update on the deal as I go and what I end up with!

-Mike

·
Registered
628 Posts
Interesting, I will look into the show.

Im in seattle. I am wondering though, I know some people go to Oregon to buy stuff, but I vaguely remember people saying you end up paying the taxes later regardless... That, or they just make you pay WA taxes if you're a WA resident, and make you fill out paperwork to pay those taxes -but I am not sure if this is actually the case, I've just heard a few reasons why people dont just always do that.

Anyhow, got to test ride my friends 08 6R today, and man, even with the 599cc engine, and a couple mods he did to it, it was a damn good handling bike, the throttle response was super nice right around the throttle transition, and it was stable as hell once it was leaned over. And shockingly comfortable as well. Even got to wring it all the way out in a non-disclosed area, and it was great fun.

Tomorrow is the day I make sure all of my finances are in order to buy the bike, so once I check everything and it looks good, then I will start the buying process, beginning with more research.

Thanks a ton for the tips guys. I'll definitely see how much price busting I can do with cash, and see what I can do. Will update on the deal as I go and what I end up with!

-Mike

Now that you mention it I think WA state does make you pay taxes on the sale when you came back to register it. The way around it is if the seller can show that they charged you tax on it. It might work with a private sale, but I’m not sure dealers would mess around with it. Most just come down to buy other items tax free like TV’s and furniture lol.
Anyway, good luck with the purchase and I hope you get it at a great deal!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,485 Posts
If you go to the show, and get the coupon..... Don't bring that out until AFTER you have their written agreement to YOUR price. Kawasaki pays that to them directly, completely outside your deal.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
if you go to the show, and get the coupon..... Don't bring that out until after you have their written agreement to your price. Kawasaki pays that to them directly, completely outside your deal.
this. !!!!!!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Hyped!

Well guys, everything looks good. I am officially starting the purchase process. It's happening!!

Next month will be when I get er, and hell yeah its gonna get some track time!
Will definitely try to get that coupon. Will update on my progress on the process soon.

-Mike

·
Registered
7,845 Posts
Hyped!

Well guys, everything looks good. I am officially starting the purchase process. It's happening!!

Next month will be when I get er, and hell yeah its gonna get some track time!
Will definitely try to get that coupon. Will update on my progress on the process soon.

-Mike
Kawasaki.com/kash E979-V17T-P59 gets you the $500 off...................

You have to register this code at that site then use it before May 30, 2020

It excludes use on the H2 and H2R models..............

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Oh wow cool! I will see what I can do.

I actually found a new 2019 model at a local Kawi dealer here for 8500 with ABS, and grey.

Sooo... the orange was worth a couple hundred to me, not a couple thousand...
19 and 20 are identical, so screw it, Im going to buy that one. First thing tomorrow Im going down there to talk them up.

How does the kawi kash code work exactly? Register it online, then bring in something to the dealer?

-Mike

·
Registered
7,845 Posts
Follow the link, enter all your information and the code I supplied.......

I am sure once registered the dealers can see you registered, but follow the directions on the link and then print it off- then you have something to take in..

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Well, I got the bike.

2019, brand new, grey, ABS.
I might have got a little duped on the price, but it was 11,100 out the door, with a free tank protector, and various discounts applied.

The sticker price was 8500, and their fees were a little high. like 700 ish for freight, 650 ish for assembly, and 250 for licensing stuff, and some other small ones I forget.
Might have gotten a better deal elsewhere, but you know I am happy. They treated me really well, they even offered a test ride over the phone before they even saw who I was.

They tried to sell me a bunch of maintenance packages, but I turned them down of course. They made a big point of showing me "what theyre seeing" on the fees and costs, and they showed me that they were making like 300 bucks margin. I offered a few hundred less, and they just said it was literally a zero margin sale, but I was able to still knock off some cash and get a tank protector at least.

I suspect the 2020 model they had, they would have drawn up about a 14,000 out the door price, so in a sense, this was more what I was expecting to pay to begin with.

In the end, I got the bike I wanted, might not have gotten the most screaming deal out there, but I feel good.

Those front brakes are STRONG. wow! Throttle is nice and smooth, and makes good microadjustments really well. Lots of torque as well.

Only thing that happened was the motor died when I pulled in the clutch once during the ride home, not sure why. It fired right back up though, and was running well before and after. I figure may be break in pains too, and the idle was set to 1000rpm when I got it, so i set it to 1200-1300rpm. Any idea why it might die? It did it one other time when I was trying to start it, it fired right up, then a second later just died. Idle just seems a little unstable. Normal for breakin?

Thanks for the guidance guys. Really appreciate it.

·
Registered
13,485 Posts
You're happy, that's all that matters in the end. Congrats on the new bike! Salut!

·
Registered
14 Posts
$10k out the door for my 2019. no abs, complete crap if you ask me. no pro rider would want abs either. to intrusive.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Yeah, well I plan on mostly street use for the bike, probably 98% of its miles/time most likely. It does help with the year round rain at home in Seattle. I have found the ABS on the '19 zx6r is way less intrusive than the ABS on my previous '14 Ninja 300. The 300 had functioning ABS but it really pulsated really hard, especially on the rear brake, but the front would really kick you with the lever if you braked onto like a wet metal manhole cover or something. The 6R is way smoother, and my hand and foot don't get kicked back really at all, the brake just becomes a bit stiff.

Actually hit up Arizona Motorsports Park today for a track day, but on the 300. Had a blast, got some real good practice in. Saw some shiny new 6R's out there, was sad mine wasn't out there, but soon it will be.

Tank grips and fender elim kit coming tomorrow. Braking on the 6R is quite hard without the tank grips, especially with a passenger lol.
Should get in some more riding this week once some rain passes through tomorrow.

-Mike

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just purchased my 2019 ZX-6R non ABS from a dealer. The bike is brand new, 1 mile on it. I got it for $9,495 Out The Door. Considering MSRP is $9,999 I think I did pretty good. I would have been happy paying MSRP OTD.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Yep I think you got a great deal. I paid about a hundred more than MSRP OTD but I am still happy. You did great! Glad to have you on the forums and on a great bike.
Gotta bust your balls for the same thing I was, where's the pictures, man?! Lol.

-Mike

21 - 40 of 41 Posts