Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

(move if this is the wrong place, but I think it's the right place)

I am going to pull the trigger on the 2020 zx6r this spring or so. I want to get it from a dealer, that much I know.

Trying to figure out what a reasonable price would be ish to haggle for. I want the ABS model, and would pay cash on the spot.

Given the sticker price is 11k, and assuming most dealer fees are relatively similar (would be bought in WA state, and registered there as well) what should I be satisfied with?

Never bought from a dealer before, I want the experience and a new bike, and I don't have much credit, so I would just pay upfront. Any prices you guys got, and any disclaimers with your guys' deals?

If I could as well, was thinking about trying to get them to throw in some accessories, first oil change parts, or something similar, but thats not a necessity.

Thanks for any help guys, really excited to upgrade and get into a machine like this.

-Mike

·
Registered
986 Posts
Hey all,

I am going to pull the trigger on the 2020 zx6r this spring or so. I want to get it from a dealer, that much I know.

Trying to figure out what a reasonable price would be ish to haggle for. I want the ABS model, and would pay cash on the spot.

Given the sticker price is 11k, and assuming most dealer fees are relatively similar (would be bought in WA state, and registered there as well) what should I be satisfied with?

Never bought from a dealer before, I want the experience and a new bike, and I don't have much credit, so I would just pay upfront. Any prices you guys got, and any disclaimers with your guys' deals?

If I could as well, was thinking about trying to get them to throw in some accessories, first oil change parts, or something similar, but thats not a necessity.

Thanks for any help guys, really excited to upgrade and get into a machine like this.

-Mike

Congrats man this Sounds really exciting! If I were you I’d search high and low for a left over 2019 with the options you want and buy that...same bike just different colors as I’m sure you already know. Paying cash is gonna get you some good numbers either way.

I own a 2012 that I bought cash (had 1100
miles) back in 2015. I can’t be much help when it comes to pricing but I’d say not much more than $10k out the door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply NY.

Yeah I did think about the 2019, and I know it is identical. I do however really want the 2020 orange color.
I did see on the Kawi website that they have a $500 rebate going on the 2019 6Rs, and I want ABS, so the only color option I had would be the grey.

At least in my eyes, $500 is worth the color, I am pretty set on it.

Do you maybe remember the licensing/registration fees when you bought yours cash? (or anyone else chime in with registration costs from a dealer?)
I figure the sticker price is 11, and then fees, lets say are 1000 for ease, they would say its 12 ish out the door. Isn't 10 a little steep to chop that down to?

I've only bought a car from a dealer a looong while ago, and I don't even remember what I paid, and Id assume its different anyway.

Thanks for the reply.

-Mike

·
Registered
47 Posts
I bought my 2013 brand new with 0 miles on it. I'll have to look at the paperwork I have upstairs and see what I paid. I did finance it. Because dealers will give you a better price if you finance through them because they get a kickback on the financing from Kawasaki. That's what i did then paid the loan in full after 3 months.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
Make sure the dealer has the bike you want at the dealership. Every day it sits there, it costs them money. Bank on that. They are in the business of selling them.

Tax, title, registration.... All fees in, no more than the retail list price out the door, is a good deal.

A large high volume dealer will make that deal much more readily than a small shop possibly could. Dealers get volume purchase discounts that affects what they pay per unit.

Were I you, a cashier's check made out to the dealership in the amount you want to pay in hand shows how serious you are; and gives them a high degree of confidence that you want to buy a bike.

The longer the sales personnel can get you to sit and stew, they know for a fact, you will pony up more money. Time is in their side.

That price may take hours, or days. Don't expect an extended warranty, service contract, insurance to be factored into it.

Once you start grasping for the extra goodies, the further you will be pushed off your price.

Patience, and emotional detachment. Know what you want, know what you are willing to spend, and stick to your guns. When the salesman hands you off to the sales manager, you're getting closer.... When he hands you off to finance, you're nearly done.... When you sign on the line, you ARE done.

Drink the coffee, eat the donut, remain calm and collected. Don't negotiate.

·
Registered
47 Posts
This is all I have sorry. So the selling price in the bottom right corner is after TTL in NY. I put down $3000 and had a loan for $6247.22 which I paid off after 90 days so total it was $9247.22

This was a leftover though. So it has been sitting for a while.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,838 Posts
Hey all,

-Mike
A)- I highly doubt you will find a 2020 model anywhere other than a kawasaki dealership
B)- As far as price, 10,999 is retail but there are plenty of "discount dealers"........ go on someplace like cycle trader or even ebay motors and shop prices and see what is the best around (keep in mind to add in any bullshit added "dealer set up fees etc...")
Lets just say someone out there will sell one for 10,300 and no added fees
Go back to your prefferred dealer and make that offer
You have to consider your state sales tax, license fee and title doc fee..lets just say that will be around $700 on a 10,300 vehicle

C)- finally............. about your credit, the best way to start improving your credit is to actually get credit and pay it off on time and continue to do so (the longer you do on time payments the better, also credit available vs credit used ratio makes a difference)
ie.......... instead of simply paying cash for this purchase up front and not helping your credit at all......... perhaps- make a 5k downpayment to guarantee a loan approval, then pay that loan off in 30-60-90 days whatever..... Kawasaki financing options (through 3rd parties) may offer you 3.9, 4.9 or 5.9% which isn't horrible
~get a credit card (who cares at what interest rate since you will be paying it off every month anyways).... use it sparingly each month (even if it is only $100 or $200 a month) but pay it off completely each month too, costs you absolutely nothing but will continue to improve your credit
~You can't improve your credit by ignoring it, and no doubt some day you are going to really want that 792 credit score when you absolutely need to get a loan for a house or something big (the better your credit the lower your interest rate typically)

Reactions: Strider

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for the tips guys.

Side note, I am 21 years old, in college, and yes, I probably should have a CC by now, but I've just been paying for stuff straight from my checking account, and don't make a whole lot in a year. Enough to support a hobby at a time, (with some parental support) and my living expenses though.

Is there a benefit price-wise to perhaps put down say 5k and take out a loan, then shortly into the loan just pay it in full before the payments are due? Could i negotiate a cheaper price by taking out a loan, but then just paying it in full say in the first month or whatever? Does the interest still get piled into a loan paid in full or is it deducted because you paid early?

And yes, the bike I want exactly has been sitting in my local kawi dealer as long as I can remember. The exact color and model I want is there, and has been there for about a year now *at least*. The dealer I have a good relationship with as an existing customer (buying parts and such for the past year plus) is I would say a medium sized motorcycle/powersports dealer, they have a good selection of a wide variety of bikes, scooters, and even jetskis and gear. My preference would be to buy from this dealer, for convenience, personal experience, and that I know they have the exact bike I want, or if it sold, they said they could order in another with a deposit on the purchase.

Like I said, I want the 2020 model, should I just look at other dealers I dont want to buy from that may have it, and jusy try to bust their balls for a good offer, then bring it to my local dealer?
Of course I want the best deal, but if my favorite dealer offers a couple hundred bucks more than another, I would still take it to stay close with the nice and helpful people at my local dealer. The other dealers in my area are not as nice or helpful as the one I regularly visit.

And yes, I will have all the cash for the purchase in hand at the time of buying, and yeah sounds like a good idea to have a cashiers check in my hand, good call. But like I said, what do you guys think about taking out a loan anyway to negotiate perhaps a better price and paying it in full early, is that a waste of time or is there some benefit?

Thanks a ton for the help guys, really appreciate it. Hyped to get this bike.

-Mike

·
Registered
505 Posts
Not sure how things work in WA. I always ask for an out the door price. Doesn't matter what they put on the paper just what is the bottom line after all taxes and fees. I don't care if they want to charge $1,000 for paperwork if the bottom line is good - around here document fees are not taxed so the more they charge and the lower the bike price the lower the taxes. Bought my 2014 ABS back in 2016 and went to Albany GA to get it. Think it was around $8,000. Again not sure how things work out in that part of the country but I bought two bikes in Georgia and they did not charge sales tax - I had to sign a form I was taking it out of the state. Bought a van in Tennessee and the dealer actually charged me the Alabama sales tax. Had to sign a form and get a temporary tag as I was taking delivery and taking it out of state. Think I had to leave the state in a few days or something. Again it depends on the dealer and how much they want to do business. Towards the end of the month may be a good time. Not sure you will have much success getting a local dealer to match an offer. It can be an adventure or a real hassle. A lot of motorcycle sales are financed which provides a revenue stream to the dealer so they may actually look at a cash offer as a negative. I'd get the price before saying anything about how you are going to pay.

·
Registered
7,838 Posts
Thanks for the tips guys.

Side note, I am 21 years old, in college, and yes, I probably should have a CC by now, but I've just been paying for stuff straight from my checking account, and don't make a whole lot in a year. Enough to support a hobby at a time, (with some parental support) and my living expenses though.

Is there a benefit price-wise to perhaps put down say 5k and take out a loan, then shortly into the loan just pay it in full before the payments are due? Could i negotiate a cheaper price by taking out a loan, but then just paying it in full say in the first month or whatever? Does the interest still get piled into a loan paid in full or is it deducted because you paid early?

And yes, the bike I want exactly has been sitting in my local kawi dealer as long as I can remember. The exact color and model I want is there, and has been there for about a year now *at least*. The dealer I have a good relationship with as an existing customer (buying parts and such for the past year plus) is I would say a medium sized motorcycle/powersports dealer, they have a good selection of a wide variety of bikes, scooters, and even jetskis and gear. My preference would be to buy from this dealer, for convenience, personal experience, and that I know they have the exact bike I want, or if it sold, they said they could order in another with a deposit on the purchase.

Like I said, I want the 2020 model, should I just look at other dealers I dont want to buy from that may have it, and jusy try to bust their balls for a good offer, then bring it to my local dealer?
Of course I want the best deal, but if my favorite dealer offers a couple hundred bucks more than another, I would still take it to stay close with the nice and helpful people at my local dealer. The other dealers in my area are not as nice or helpful as the one I regularly visit.

And yes, I will have all the cash for the purchase in hand at the time of buying, and yeah sounds like a good idea to have a cashiers check in my hand, good call. But like I said, what do you guys think about taking out a loan anyway to negotiate perhaps a better price and paying it in full early, is that a waste of time or is there some benefit?

Thanks a ton for the help guys, really appreciate it. Hyped to get this bike.

-Mike
Whether you finance or not- the price "should" be the same (unless there is some "rebate" if you finance)

The only benefit to financing some part of the purchase and then paying that off- is to boost your credit score (unless you got 0% financing- then by all means drag it out and keep the payments on time til paid off)

Go to your local dealer and see what their price is.........don't allow them to pressure you with some "today only" bullshit!!!! unless the deal was so good you know it is awesome, say $10,000 all in out the door price or some such bs.....

to me at this point, I would suspect you could/should be able to buy a 2020 for sub $11,000 OTD (including all taxes, license and title fees and whatever bullshit made up fees the dealership wants to add)......How much less- I do not know

Last brand new Kawasaki I purchased was in 07 was a current model 07 (my zzr)and had a 7399 retail and I brought it home for 6700 all in with tax, title,license- so reality is I paid about $6200 for the bike, state mandated $442 in sales tax, $20ish for license plate, and another $30ish for the title and doc fees...... I had negotiated in a deal on some other bullshit at the same time (oe service manual, some oe oil filters and something else........... So when I paid and walked out the door it was 6800 total ; bike and the other stuff combined)

I have gone with customers to purchase new vehicles and in 2012 one of my customers got a new 2012 Zx10R... I believe- from memory- it retailed for 15k and he was all in out the door for $14,500 (same deal, sales tax ate up about $950, license another $20 and title/doc fees about $30......so really $13,500 for the bike plus those state mandated fees)
Which is about the same deal most have gotten on current model year stuff, on the other hand buying NEW LEFT OVER stock one can always do much better on.......

Plus, make sure you look and see if there are any rebates or discounts for military service or students etc......... or any other possible discounts Kawasaki may or may not offer at this time

https://www.kawasaki.com/Products/2020-Ninja-ZX-6R-ABS?cm_re=CATEGORYLANDING-_-PRODUCTTHUMBNAIL-_-PRODUCTDETAILS

Reactions: RJ2112 and Strider

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
When I purchased my 2009 (back in 2009, hehe), I searched online for prices all around here (within about a 250 mile radius). I found a dealer about 200 miles away that had the best price ($7,900 if I remember correctly). Then I called a couple local dealers and asked them if they would match that price. One of them said they had it in stock and would match the price, so rode my 2008 250R there, traded it in, and rode the brand new ZX-6R back. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sparky, I would HIGHLY recommend looking for your 2020 at places that sell mainly off road types, like quads, 4 wheel drive, waver runners, and similar. I posted last June after I bought my 2019 ZX (non-ABS, I like the feel better).

It was listed at $9,999 but, I was able to snag it for $8,100. I looked at several Kawi Dealerships including the one I bought my last 3 bikes at and NO ONE could match it.

Typically those outdoor sports stores have to sell a few of them in order to sell their other products and do so at or below cost just to do that since they do not make the money on the sport bikes because their Top Sellers are all those off road vehicles.

Trust me, DO YOUR RESEARCH, call around go talk to them, etc.

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
OP, before you drop all your cash on the purchase, make sure you understand the total cost of ownership. At 21, that first 10K is a relatively small portion of the money it will take to operate the bike legally.

Find out what insurance is going to cost you. Consider theft as just as likely as a crash. Paying cash gives you the choice of liability insurance, vs. carrying full coverage. The more insurance you can afford, the more reasonable the deductible may be. Certainly, the better the coverage with the higher premium.

Find out what tires cost, and how often they will need replacement. Find out the price of mount and balance.

Where will you keep the bike when you aren't riding it? Do you have a secure location available?

Do you know the cost of the various body panels that may be damaged in any fall the bike may suffer?

How much money do you have apportioned to pay for riding apparel? Helmet, jacket, boots, gloves..... The list goes on.

·
Registered
7,838 Posts
Reactions: Strider

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys for more info!

As for cost of legal ownership, yes I very much so have looked into this. I think my insurance is relatively high already, being a high risk category (even with a spotless record) so I am prepared to pay the probably ludicrous insurance associated with this class of bike. I already pay full coverage and more on my current bike, including theft and some other things.

This is not my first bike, I have learned about the costs of ownership a good deal already. I will always have a garage, I already have some decent security gear for theft resistance, I use about 3 sets of tires a *year* currently, and am prepared to pay for 3 sets of 600 size tires a year as well. My local shop hooks me up with a nice discount on tires and mounting as well :) Got all my gear as well, multiple sets of gear in fact, and have a great set of metric tools and tools to work on it.

I am not concerned about the costs of ownership as much as I am concerned about the cost of purchase. Because the more I can save there, the more cash I have left over to put into the other costs.

My local Kawi dealer here at school is very much so an off-road specialist dealer, so I could definitely see how willing they are to get me a sport bike, and sit down and get some numbers. I could also look into the wholesale places, I would just hope I could get the same or similar post-purchase support, that is why I am looking more at my local dealer.

Sounds like the general consensus though is to look for a price under 11k OTD, likely around 10.5 correct? I will definitely ask for prices OTD before stating how I would pay, might be curious what they think if they ask my method of paying first...

Any more comments guys?
Thanks!
-Mike

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
Odds are good you will be ignored if you walk in off the street, without some evidence of ability to pay. "Give me your best price on xyz".... The dealer would consider that as somewhere well North of retail. His best price is everything in your wallet, and you financing the difference. They're not in the business of losing money, after all.

If you have a shop that knows you well, they are more likely to get over it sooner. Small mom and pop places do not get the volume discounts larger dealerships do. They literally pay more and make less on the sale as a result. The difference can be thousands per unit, if the big dealer buys a big slug of bikes.

Facing that, any post sale service support you may purchase is very weak tea. Service departments are frequently break even segments in the dealership. Often, they are operated in the red, simply because customers want that presence, warranty work has to be supported, etc. Same deal with parts and accessories....

The profit is in selling used bikes, more so than new. The mark up for new, is much more easily determined by a savvy customer. Used, you have no idea how the dealership treated the previous owner.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good call. So you would suggest finding a bigger dealer, knowing the fact that they buy bikes in bulk then?

I am not worried about being able to get parts, I've been able to get all the kawi parts I've needed somewhat easily, and I would do some hunting for parts to get the best prices and stuff.

I've got decent experience buying parts, I am just inexperienced in buying bikes from a dealer. How else could I prove that I am a serious buyer, without flashing money in their face? Obviously I am currently a motorcycle owner and pay for parts and stuff at my local dealer, but without carrying around checks or whatever, how can I get a serious offer that's good?

I am most trying to figure out the literal dealership interactions. What questions I can ask, what things I should say, hell, even what clothes I should wear if it hedges my bets in getting a good deal.
What do you think?

thanks for the advice.
-Mike

·
Registered
5 Posts
ABS model 2020 you should be able to get for around $10300 plus tax and tags based on your state. Non ABS about $1000 less. You might be able to do a little better but prob not much

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks guys for more info!

Sounds like the general consensus though is to look for a price under 11k OTD, likely around 10.5 correct? I will definitely ask for prices OTD before stating how I would pay, might be curious what they think if they ask my method of paying first...

Any more comments guys?
Thanks!
-Mike
OTD price will vary tremendously based on the state you are in as every state is different in the cost of taxes, title and registration. Those prices are set by the state. Dealers will usually add $100-$200 document fees on top of the state charges to process the paperwork. I doubt you will be able to get an 2020 abs for $10,5 otd currently unless you live in a state like montana or Delaware that has no sales tax.

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
OP, if you are dressed business casual, carry a portfolio, and a calclator, and have print outs of the best internet deal you can find you are far more likely to reverse intimidate the sales person you first interact with. The sooner you get in front of the documentation guy, the better.

Dealer invoice is typically 85% of MSRP. That would be the wholesale price with one motorcycle being purchased by the dealership. Holdback, other stuff is not disclosed when there are discounts applied to the big lot purchases.

Remember, they will not sell for a net loss. Keep your emotions out of it. It's just a thing you are willing to buy, IF you get the price you want. You haven't cut deep enough if they haven't asked you to leave.

When you do get to a deal for the bike, you will be asked about insurance, warranty, service plans.

Arrange whatever portion of that you desire to have, through your own means.... The dealer has significant markup on all of that.

If you ever get turned around and get hooked on what the payment will be, rather than the purchase price....... Go ahead and bend over.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts