Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ll start with a little backstory. Late last year, I purchased a 2016 zx6. It was in okay condition. The only thing I noticed was that the brakes were dragging a little bit. I thought they would loosen up after riding it as it had been sitting for awhile. This was not the case. I dealt with some pretty significant brake fade issues during longer races. Shorter races it wasn’t such a problem.

Fast forward to December of last year. I decided to rebuild the calipers and, during disassembly, I discovered that one set of the brake pads were worn unevenly on one of the calipers. So I rebuilt the calipers and the brakes were still dragging. Heres a video of what I’m talking about. The first bike is my 2016 zx6. The second one is my 2009 zx6.

Its kind of hard to do a scientific test on this but you can clearly see how much easier the wheel on the second bike spins compared to the first.

There are differences between these two machines. Mainly, the calipers. The 2016 has one piece calipers and the 2009 has two piece calipers. The other thing that is different is the way the calipers mount onto the fork bottoms. The 2016 uses dowel pins to ALLEGEDLY locate the caliper in perfect alignment with the front wheel. The 2009 does not. So, with this information, I removed these dowel pins and heres how it spins now.

It clearly spins much better than before. Again, I know its hard to tell, but the way it slowly comes to a stop instead of very abruptly is how I’m kind of determining this. I think the 2009 still spins easier which could be from the different style of pads. The 2009-12 uses a single pad for each piston while the 13+ uses one large pad spanning two pistons.

Now, I’m assuming that the quality control personnel was sleeping during the machining of the specific run of fork bottoms that mine came from. I would guess that maybe some of them were better than others? I have no idea. Feel free to investigate this on your own machines and post your findings. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Director of Moderation
10,476 Posts
There is also a difference in the rotors. 310mm diameter for the newer gen vs 300 for the '09-'12. However I'm not sure if it's only the diameter that's different, or the whole rotor. What I do know is that my 2014 spins the front wheel much easier than what you show in your video and I still have the dowel pins in the forks/calipers. The difference though is that I have full-floating Brembo rotors on it.

My old '09 zx6r would spin the wheels for days but I had Carrozzeria forged wheels on it. It was awesome! lol Meanwhile on my ninja 400 (which only has one rotor/caliper by the way), at one point the drag was so much that it wouldn't even turn a HALF of a revolution when spinning it like you did!

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is also a difference in the rotors. 310mm diameter for the newer gen vs 300 for the '09-'12. However I'm not sure if it's only the diameter that's different, or the whole rotor. What I do know is that my 2014 spins the front wheel much easier than what you show in your video and I still have the dowel pins in the forks/calipers. The difference though is that I have full-floating Brembo rotors on it.

My old '09 zx6r would spin the wheels for days but I had Carrozzeria forged wheels on it. It was awesome! lol Meanwhile on my ninja 400 (which only has one rotor/caliper by the way), at one point the drag was so much that it wouldn't even turn a HALF of a revolution when spinning it like you did!
I would think that the rotor size or type of rotor wouldn’t make a difference when just spinning it on the wheel stand, would it? From my understanding, the full floating rotors would only decrease drag mainly during cornering because of the load being put on the wheel and turning the forks ever so slightly which in turn would push one side of the caliper into the brake rotor, correct?

·
Director of Moderation
10,476 Posts
I would think that the rotor size or type of rotor wouldn’t make a difference when just spinning it on the wheel stand, would it? From my understanding, the full floating rotors would only decrease drag mainly during cornering because of the load being put on the wheel and turning the forks ever so slightly which in turn would push one side of the caliper into the brake rotor, correct?

No, they definitely make a significant difference when spinning it on the stand. You can even hear the rotor wiggling a bit on the buttons when you spin it because it can move freely, as oppose to stock rotors that don't. On my 400 it was the same. I went from a Galfer semi-floating rotor (similar to stock) to a Braketech full-floating one and it was night and day difference when turning it on the stand. If I recall it spun about 9 revolutions or so as oppose to 2-3 that I was getting with the Galfer. That being the only difference at the time.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, they definitely make a significant difference when spinning it on the stand. You can even hear the rotor wiggling a bit on the buttons when you spin it because it can move freely, as oppose to stock rotors that don't. On my 400 it was the same. I went from a Galfer semi-floating rotor (similar to stock) to a Braketech full-floating one and it was night and day difference when turning it on the stand. If I recall it spun about 9 revolutions or so as oppose to 2-3 that I was getting with the Galfer. That being the only difference at the time.
You got a part number on those brembos? I think Biden might be buying me a few new sets.

·
Director of Moderation
10,476 Posts
You got a part number on those brembos? I think Biden might be buying me a few new sets.

I believe it's these (I didn't buy them, JD did when he owned the bike):

Keep in mind they are 320 mm, so you'll need 5 mm spacers. I had mine made by TWF Racing.

Funny, cuz I was also just browsing the web looking for what I want Biden to buy me as well! lol

·
Registered
537 Posts
My '13 spins like dog dick most of the time. I've tried messing around with it, but it is generally a bit rough. I kinda stopped worrying about it since it does not seem to negatively effect the brakes/rotors as far as I can tell.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts

Is Biden going to get us the rest of the $2000 stimulus payments? I heard they are only going to give it to people who “need”
It but how do they determine that?

·
Registered
6,524 Posts
Full floating rotors spin without much drag. I had the 320mm brembo supersport rotos.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I believe it's these (I didn't buy them, JD did when he owned the bike):

Keep in mind they are 320 mm, so you'll need 5 mm spacers. I had mine made by TWF Racing.

Funny, cuz I was also just browsing the web looking for what I want Biden to buy me as well! lol
Yea, all I could find was 320s. I kinda want to use the stock size incase I actually decide to try to do the motoamerica round at BIR.

Well I just got 600$ worth of trump bucks today so maybe Biden will be buying me something else.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is Biden going to get us the rest of the $2000 stimulus payments? I heard they are only going to give it to people who “need”

Biden said during a press conference that they were going to prioritize female owned business owners and people of color or something like that. So based off of how long it took to get this last one, I would think if you meet that criteria in one way or another, you’d maybe see some cash in the next couple months? Everybody else will probably have to wait till the summer.

·
Director of Moderation
10,476 Posts

I don't know, but I NEED some tires or another gun, so therefore I NEED that stimulus money! lol

·
Registered
189 Posts
Ive had a similar issue...Could be a couple things. it could be in side the brakes or outside.

My 03 636 has full dual floating calipers. it's real easy to remount them wrong taking off/installing the front wheel.

It comes the down to the order at which you tighten the front axle. and forks to the calipers...but mainly getting the calipers square on the rotors.

Following the propper front wheel mounting can fix. whith caliper bolts loose spin front wheel grab band hold brake-tighten caliper bolts. release brakes
this at the very least will (assuming your pads and rotor's are square) have your calipers squared to forks rotor pad and axle.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ive had a similar issue...Could be a couple things. it could be in side the brakes or outside.

My 03 636 has full dual floating calipers. it's real easy to remount them wrong taking off/installing the front wheel.

It comes the down to the order at which you tighten the front axle. and forks to the calipers...but mainly getting the calipers square on the rotors.

Following the propper front wheel mounting can fix. whith caliper bolts loose spin front wheel grab band hold brake-tighten caliper bolts. release brakes
this at the very least will (assuming your pads and rotor's are square) have your calipers squared to forks rotor pad and axle.
I think its dave moss who has a video on youtube on how to correctly install the front wheel and calipers, which is what I do. The potential problem with the 2013 and newer bikes is that it uses dowel pins to align the calipers to the front forks. So even if you try to align the calipers by spinning the wheel and grabbing the brakes, it wont actually move because of the dowel pins locking them into a single position.

·
Registered
189 Posts
YES EXACTLY. TY zx6rguiy!

DAVE MOSS video is the EXACT and proper method

... I watched that video and solved my problem.

To do it right you need a stand to get the front wheel off the ground.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts