Thanks for asking. So far things are good. Still taking pills once a day, to reduce the prostate, and subdue any runaway cancer cells. No new symptoms, no noticeable symptoms whatsoever. Right at the moment, I wouldn't believe anything was wrong had I not been diagnosed, and read those biopsy results.:dowhatRJ, how'r the treatments goin man?
The schedule of treatment accelerates in the next months. Pre op visit on the third of this month, then a dry run for the radiation therapy on the 22nd.... They have to map my body in 3-D so they can plan the attack. After this they fit me for a brace/cradle to hold me in one position for each session.
19 August, the brachy therapy. When they lay me out to insert the radioactive material, they will also install gold reference targets to make sure of the alignment for the follow on radiation therapy.
Another visit mid September to evaluate progress, to set the start date for that radiation therapy.
Roughly 6 weeks post brachy, the beam radiation begins. That will continue anywhere from 5-8 weeks, until the lethal dosage has been applied to the areas they deem necessary. The number of visits to reach those values, depends on how well I can tolerate the treatment. The hotter they can go, the less time overall, 'under the gun'. That's the most difficult of for me to understand right now. Be a tough guy and bear as much as I can stand, or go easy on myself and suffer through it longer?:O
I'll lose work time over that part. It will be every weekday trips to the hospital, for at least a month and a week, to as much as nearly two months. About 30 miles one way from home. About 40, from work.
If this can be done in the evening, I can suffer the consequences overnight, and might be able to work the following day. As I understand it, the cumulative effects are what make that harder and harder to do. Should be fine, at the beginning....:dowhat
Between my built up vacation time, credit hours, and medical leave, I have well over 600 paid hours I could burn through before I am at a critical juncture with regard to employment. I am confident that this round can be dealt with out of those resources.
Still in good spirits, still looking for the rainbow exit ramp from this shit show.
My oncologist is investigating genetic therapy for me. They're supposed to be doing genetic sequencing of my cancer cells, to determine whether they can train my immune system to attack the cancer cells. The two insurance companies are fighting that, so the outcome is unknown at the moment. I'm starting to apply pressure with regard to that. Seems like the best solution possible for anyone who would suffer from this.