Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

61 - 80 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
12,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #61 (Edited)
RJ, how'r the treatments goin man?
Thanks for asking. So far things are good. Still taking pills once a day, to reduce the prostate, and subdue any runaway cancer cells. No new symptoms, no noticeable symptoms whatsoever. Right at the moment, I wouldn't believe anything was wrong had I not been diagnosed, and read those biopsy results.:dowhat

The schedule of treatment accelerates in the next months. Pre op visit on the third of this month, then a dry run for the radiation therapy on the 22nd.... They have to map my body in 3-D so they can plan the attack. After this they fit me for a brace/cradle to hold me in one position for each session.

19 August, the brachy therapy. When they lay me out to insert the radioactive material, they will also install gold reference targets to make sure of the alignment for the follow on radiation therapy.

Another visit mid September to evaluate progress, to set the start date for that radiation therapy.

Roughly 6 weeks post brachy, the beam radiation begins. That will continue anywhere from 5-8 weeks, until the lethal dosage has been applied to the areas they deem necessary. The number of visits to reach those values, depends on how well I can tolerate the treatment. The hotter they can go, the less time overall, 'under the gun'. That's the most difficult of for me to understand right now. Be a tough guy and bear as much as I can stand, or go easy on myself and suffer through it longer?:O

I'll lose work time over that part. It will be every weekday trips to the hospital, for at least a month and a week, to as much as nearly two months. About 30 miles one way from home. About 40, from work.

If this can be done in the evening, I can suffer the consequences overnight, and might be able to work the following day. As I understand it, the cumulative effects are what make that harder and harder to do. Should be fine, at the beginning....:dowhat

Between my built up vacation time, credit hours, and medical leave, I have well over 600 paid hours I could burn through before I am at a critical juncture with regard to employment. I am confident that this round can be dealt with out of those resources.

Still in good spirits, still looking for the rainbow exit ramp from this shit show.

My oncologist is investigating genetic therapy for me. They're supposed to be doing genetic sequencing of my cancer cells, to determine whether they can train my immune system to attack the cancer cells. The two insurance companies are fighting that, so the outcome is unknown at the moment. I'm starting to apply pressure with regard to that. Seems like the best solution possible for anyone who would suffer from this.

·
Skin Flute Master Instructor Level III
6,307 Posts
It sounds like you've got a solid plan laid out with the doctors. Having a clear path is a good thing. Sounds like you should be through with everything sometime around halloween/thanksgiving?

·
Registered
12,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
It sounds like you've got a solid plan laid out with the doctors. Having a clear path is a good thing. Sounds like you should be through with everything sometime around halloween/thanksgiving?
I'm expecting to be done by November.... There's an overseas work trip is I'd like to repeat in the first part of next year, my goal is to make that trip. Don't know if it will happen, as I notified the sponsors as soon as I was diagnosed to give them the best options to support their mission. If they want me and I am able, I would love to go.:kiss

Remission will be a tricky thing to assess, it may take years for that to be declared. Really hoping the genetic attack can be implemented...... Nothing better for the job than the system meant to deal with disease.:coocoo:nerd

·
Registered
12,819 Posts
Thanks for asking. So far things are good. Still taking pills once a day, to reduce the prostate, and subdue any runaway cancer cells. No new symptoms, no noticeable symptoms whatsoever. Right at the moment, I wouldn't believe anything was wrong had I not been diagnosed, and read those biopsy results.:dowhat

The schedule of treatment accelerates in the next months. Pre op visit on the third of this month, then a dry run for the radiation therapy on the 22nd.... They have to map my body in 3-D so they can plan the attack. After this they fit me for a brace/cradle to hold me in one position for each session.

19 August, the brachy therapy. When they lay me out to insert the radioactive material, they will also install gold reference targets to make sure of the alignment for the follow on radiation therapy.

Another visit mid September to evaluate progress, to set the start date for that radiation therapy.

Roughly 6 weeks post brachy, the beam radiation begins. That will continue anywhere from 5-8 weeks, until the lethal dosage has been applied to the areas they deem necessary. The number of visits to reach those values, depends on how well I can tolerate the treatment. The hotter they can go, the less time overall, 'under the gun'. That's the most difficult of for me to understand right now. Be a tough guy and bear as much as I can stand, or go easy on myself and suffer through it longer?:O

I'll lose work time over that part. It will be every weekday trips to the hospital, for at least a month and a week, to as much as nearly two months. About 30 miles one way from home. About 40, from work.

If this can be done in the evening, I can suffer the consequences overnight, and might be able to work the following day. As I understand it, the cumulative effects are what make that harder and harder to do. Should be fine, at the beginning....:dowhat

Between my built up vacation time, credit hours, and medical leave, I have well over 600 paid hours I could burn through before I am at a critical juncture with regard to employment. I am confident that this round can be dealt with out of those resources.

Still in good spirits, still looking for the rainbow exit ramp from this shit show.

My oncologist is investigating genetic therapy for me. They're supposed to be doing genetic sequencing of my cancer cells, to determine whether they can train my immune system to attack the cancer cells. The two insurance companies are fighting that, so the outcome is unknown at the moment. I'm starting to apply pressure with regard to that. Seems like the best solution possible for anyone who would suffer from this.
Damn its cool how much precision goes into that stuff. Almost makes it sound fun haha.

But thats good man, hope u can tolerate more of the radiation and get it over with quickly.

·
Registered
12,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Damn its cool how much precision goes into that stuff. Almost makes it sound fun haha.

But thats good man, hope u can tolerate more of the radiation and get it over with quickly.
The technical aspects of this are interesting as all get out.

·
Registered
12,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Volumetric study complete.... Knocked out for half an hour, maybe that long in recovery. Home an hour later. I'd recommend against catheters, if you can.

From the info they got, the decision on what material, how much, and where it will be placed is determined. Next time, it's plug and chug; a couple of hours knocked out and I come away with more than I arrived with. That's on the books for 19 August. That one will involve more blood, and I'm expecting another round with a catheter.

·
6,307 Posts
Catheter is definitely not on my list of things to try.

·
Registered
12,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Catheter is definitely not on my list of things to try.
I can state that broken ribs are worse, as are kidney stones..... Just unpleasant for a couple of days. The really freaky part is the medication they give you to ensure there is no infection. Looks like you're peeing pure carrot juice for many hours afterwards. :dowhat

·
6,307 Posts
I've had cracked ribs. Spit up a little blood, laughing wasn't great, neither was coughing or sneezing lol.

·
Registered
12,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
I've also sprained an ankle that was much more severe than the catheter, there's a lot of things that have happened to me that have been worse, TBH. This one just stands out because of the extremely personal nature of the procedure, especially as they did that to me after I'd been knocked out. No idea who handled my junk, or any opinions that were shared with regard to same. (probably better, that I wasn't there to hear about it, LOL)

·
Registered
12,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
I left work about noon on the 1st of Aug, to go from there to the pre-op meeting with my urologist. I was supposed to leave at noon, actually made it out of there at about 1245, with about a 40 mile ride to get to the Dr's office, for a meeting at 1430. 1345 arrival, shouldn't be any problem...... of course I hit road construction and have to sit in line for about 10 minutes, which means I have to abandon the edge of the river ridge run I had been planning on and simply make up time on the more direct route. Widely divided two lane highway, almost the entire way once I was past the construction. Long sweepers, moderate traffic, clear dry weather...... easy to do 70 in a 55 in that environment all day.

I had somebody on a Ducati Monster go past me like I was standing still. Two cars were running with this guy, at speeds that would land them without a license, minimum. :) Excellent. We have bait. Now, all I have to do is sit back far enough to slow down should these people draw the ire of the county or state enroute to where I need to be.

A very quick and pleasant 30+ miles occurred, and I got to work the motor in the power band a bit in 6th. Managed to remember where the visit was supposed to happen, made it there with about 30 minutes to spare. Plenty of time to take off the gear and casually arrive.

Meeting with my Dr. went well, no problems have arisen with regard to the procedure on the 19th. One more phone interview with a hospital nurse, which won't say anything new.

The whole thing should take about an hour, with whatever time to recover afterward..... probably half a day at the hospital. The discussion of how the material will be inserted is a bit mortifying; the same area I would call 'taint' in my callous youth, will be punctured 16 times or more to perform a series of 'vertical' insertions in a grid pattern 4X4. As the material is packaged in stainless steel cladding, and is physically the size of sesame seeds -- I'm not looking forward to the size of the needles used to transport the material.... I'm told my 'taint' will be black and blue afterwards, and points further back will also be aggravated from the sensor that will be monitoring the exact location of the needles and material placement.

In addition to the radioactive material, they will place three gold targets in my prostate so the beam radiation team has good aim points. Seems I will also gain some gel material placed to keep the prostate physically separated from other parts of my internal structure, to reduce the chance of damage to my colon.

the 12th of this month, I meet with the radiation team to practice the beam portion of the process, which isn't going to happen until late Sept, or Oct.

·
Registered
12,819 Posts
Holy shit man. I cant imagine needles poking me in the taint. I hope ur gonna be asleep during the poking??

·
Registered
12,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
I will be knocked out for that, and very happy to be so. I can't imagine walking into my house afterwards is going to be particularly pleasant, either.

I will be issued a card stating why I am mildly

·
Registered
12,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
I will still take a few days off before I go back to work..... think the worst of that is already behind me. Will know more after the MRI next Monday; I'm a bit nervous because they said before the surgery that having any of the seeds end up in my bladder would be bad. I was told there should be no need for a catheter.....

Woke up peeing blood clots, which everyone seems to not be concerned about...... Think I've now passed all of the material that was blocking flow, and just need time to have everything that was abused to go back to 'normal'.

If they overshot and planted stuff in my bladder, they knew before hand that they would have to go in and fish it out. Only one way to get there, from my way of thinking...... I'm sure grasping something the size of a sesame seed or sucking it out would require something larger than a sesame seed to go in and get it. Not terribly surprising if there is some pain afterwards.

So far, ~20 hours post surgery, I haven't needed any pain medication. Getting a mild headache from not consuming my usual amount of coffee -- that is apparently a bad idea as it would add stress to my colon..... If my biggest short term problem is a lack of coffee, I'd have to consider that a minor irritation in the grand scheme of things.

·
6,307 Posts
So far so good from the sounds of things man!

·
Registered
12,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Recovery is progressing.....the actual procedure was nearly pain free which was a pleasant surprise. Less irritating than the mapping session, no worse than the biopsy.

The last few days haven't been a lot of fun, due to the spasms occurring in the muscles adjacent to the operative site. Heat is helping..... The heating pad will have to be destroyed when I'm done with it, as it will be contaminated...... longest time I have slept is about 3 hours, gradually improving.

Haven't had to resort to the prescription pain killers, heat and Tylenol seem to keep things bearable.

Can't sit on a wooden chair yet, so I'm pretty sure a bike ride this week is not going to happen.

·
6,307 Posts
Not a fan of prescription painkillers myself. After having plates put in my arm I stuck with ibuprofen, so I don't blame you there.

·
Registered
12,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Not a fan of prescription painkillers myself. After having plates put in my arm I stuck with ibuprofen, so I don't blame you there.
Couldn't get any rest, without resorting to the prescription stuff.... I can tell when I get to 5.5 hours out of the six between doses.:roll:

The broken ribs were definitely worse, and I believe the medication prescribed then was much stronger.

61 - 80 of 143 Posts