Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wats up everyone wonder if u can help wit helmet fitting problem.So i USE to have very long dreads an becaue of them i use to wear a large helmet i have 2 Scorpion exo 700 helmets both large now i never really had everythought about cutting my hair until i lost a dum bet an ended up letting my 16 yr old shave me bald now my helmets dont fit.Wat i need to know is has anyone else cut there hair an still used the same helmet ?Mine u this is a safety thing wit me. Did u end up replacing ur helmet or are still riding wit it if i have to replace it i'll have to get 2 cause i dont believe any rider should own just 1 So guys an gals give me some feedback

As for the bet i had wit my daughter i alway tell my daughter to be better than me so i told her if she stays on the honor roll the full school yr finds a parttime job AND stick wit her ROTC traing i will shave my head an send her an her mother too Italy well needless to say the head is shaved an i've had dreads since she was born lol i feel soooo naked rite now lol

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Some companies you can buy thicker cheek pads. I did that with my NEXX helmet. Had to get them direct from NEXX. However, like you, I'm very safety minded. That helmet doesn't fit me that great still and I will not wear it at the track. It's my night helmet with a clear shield. Usually only use it to go to bike nights or doing other stuff at night.

·
Registered
13,657 Posts
Wats up everyone wonder if u can help wit helmet fitting problem.So i USE to have very long dreads an becaue of them i use to wear a large helmet i have 2 Scorpion exo 700 helmets both large now i never really had everythought about cutting my hair until i lost a dum bet an ended up letting my 16 yr old shave me bald now my helmets dont fit.Wat i need to know is has anyone else cut there hair an still used the same helmet ?Mine u this is a safety thing wit me. Did u end up replacing ur helmet or are still riding wit it if i have to replace it i'll have to get 2 cause i dont believe any rider should own just 1 So guys an gals give me some feedback

As for the bet i had wit my daughter i alway tell my daughter to be better than me so i told her if she stays on the honor roll the full school yr finds a parttime job AND stick wit her ROTC traing i will shave my head an send her an her mother too Italy well needless to say the head is shaved an i've had dreads since she was born lol i feel soooo naked rite now lol
First of all..... good on you, your daughter, and your wife! What a great family.

Second, helmet fitment is very hard to describe well -- there are a bunch of videos out there from a number of parts sites which show how to tell. If your lack of hair makes your helmets not fit, time to get a new one, and hang on to the old ones until your hair returns.

·
Registered
46 Posts
+100 on being a great father and role model.

Look into thicker padding first. If you can't find anything then a new helmet is in order for the next few years of hair growth

·
Registered
413 Posts
You could try this for a guide to helmet fit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1Y93JW7Tsc

As far as the helmet goes, you can try to swap out the liner and cheek pads but I would honestly replace it. The EXO-700 was a great helmet but has to be a number of years old now and it probably past, at or close to its due date anyways. Plus, depending on how loose the fit is, new pads will likely not make up the difference to get a proper fit again...

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea i ordered a new one for now an gonna get another as the hair grows n it DOT rated an i research it while its not a scorpion it will do for the start of riding season until i decide on the rite scorpion helmet i want

·
Registered
50 Posts
Start by taking OUT the pads. Crown of the helmet should fit snuggly around your head, a little bit over eyebrow height. If you don't have even contact all the way around, helmet size/shape isn't right.
Regarding pads, they should be tight enough to where pulling helmet on/off is hard until broken in (helmets will break down 1/2-1 size once broken in, especially cheek pads.)
Also for women, put your hair down, ponytails throw off figment and will make you get to large of a helmet, which can lead to a concussion in an accident.
Hat size measurements get you in the ballpark.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
I had long dreadlocks as well (over 20 yrs) and when I cut them I had to get a new helmet, I went from a XL Arai to now I wear a medium in the same model. The difference is size was just to big even if I switched the pads. If you cut your locks after 16 years I say you deserve a new helmet regardless! I'm sure that wasn't easy, It was very hard for me to cut mine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts