Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys so I just upgraded from an R7 to Zx6r. After about 30 min I notice my wrists starting to hurt. I know to squeeze the tank with my legs and use my core to support upper body and stay light on the bars. But my knees don’t seem to be sitting in the proper groves of the tank, also I feel like I can’t grip to tank good enough. I did just order some tank grips though, hopefully that helps. Also when I’m in full tuck I feel like my feet are too far forward, making it awkward to use the foot control. Comparing to the R7 that bike for me spot on. Should I adjust the handle bars maybe? Or rearsets? What do you guys think

· Registered
2004-20-23 636
387 Posts
How tall are you? But yea you’re on the right path. It’s a different bike and you already seem to know where you would like things moved. Sounds like adjustable rear sets and clip ons are in your future
the 636 does have a much more aggressive riding stance than the r7 for sure and no matter what you do it will never feel like a r7 lol. I’m the opposite tho I hate the way I feel on the newer r7”s. It’s prob a lot just getting use to what you have.

· Registered
322 Posts
I installed Helibars 1.5 risers and lowered the seat 1 inch. These 2 small changes have drastically changed the riding experience. I ride for about 5 hours/200 miles every Saturday in the summer with zero discomfort. Before the changes I got neck and wrist pain after about 30 minutes.

The Helibars are great but the OEM end caps don't fit nicely into the bars so they need to be rethreaded or different end caps.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay I just went for a ride and i think I’ve figured out what exactly is bothering me. The problem is I keep sliding forward into the tank no matter what I do. I squeeze the tank as tight as I can and one little tap on the brake or bump in the road will send me sliding forward. Try to keep my butt back but nope don’t work. I really hope these tank grips will solve the problem once they arrive

· Registered
306 Posts
Okay I just went for a ride and i think I’ve figured out what exactly is bothering me. The problem is I keep sliding forward into the tank no matter what I do. I squeeze the tank as tight as I can and one little tap on the brake or bump in the road will send me sliding forward. Try to keep my butt back but nope don’t work. I really hope these tank grips will solve the problem once they arrive
The exact same thing happens to me, although I'm used to it, I sit as far back as I can and no matter what I try I slide forward and my delicate parts end up against the tank.

· Registered
322 Posts
I don't see how tank grips are going to resolve the wrist discomfort or increase visibility from the forward leaning position. I had tank grips for a while and they really did nothing for me so I removed them.

The aftermarket risers not only raise the bars but also remove the downward angle which is where the wrist pain comes from. The higher bars and lower seat will increase visibility by allowing your head to sit at a more comfortable position and therefore mitigate head up fatigue.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't see how tank grips are going to resolve the wrist discomfort or increase visibility from the forward leaning position. I had tank grips for a while and they really did nothing for me so I removed them.

The aftermarket risers not only raise the bars but also remove the downward angle which is where the wrist pain comes from. The higher bars and lower seat will increase visibility by allowing your head to sit level.
wrist pain can also occur from supporting too much of your body weight on your arms/wrists. Tank grips would allow the legs to squeeze the tank better allowing you to use your core/legs to hold your upper up instead of the arms

· Registered
322 Posts
wrist pain can also occur from supporting too much of your body weight on your arms/wrists. Tank grips would allow the legs to squeeze the tank better allowing you to use your core/legs to hold your upper up instead of the arms
I guess if you're riding for short distances or in a straight line squeezing the tank with your legs may offer some relief. I put 10k miles on the ZX6R and rarely am I sitting in a position where I can squeeze the tank with my legs.

· Registered
4 Posts
Hey guys so I just upgraded from an R7 to Zx6r. After about 30 min I notice my wrists starting to hurt. I know to squeeze the tank with my legs and use my core to support upper body and stay light on the bars. But my knees don’t seem to be sitting in the proper groves of the tank, also I feel like I can’t grip to tank good enough. I did just order some tank grips though, hopefully that helps. Also when I’m in full tuck I feel like my feet are too far forward, making it awkward to use the foot control. Comparing to the R7 that bike for me spot on. Should I adjust the handle bars maybe? Or rearsets? What do you guys think

I had the same problem when I bought mine, and yes tank grips will make a big big difference from sliding forward, also when you're full tuck sit as far as you can from the tank (towards the back).
As far as the wrist, you'll get used to it, it's just gonna take a little bit, I was on the same page, couldn't ride 30min without them hurting now I ride 1hr without any problems.

· Registered
2023 636
8 Posts
I have a 650 and 636 so I alternate during my commute week. With that said I feel like the 650 gives me pain the most to be honest. I am young and short , so maybe that’s it. The suspension sucks up all that extra fluff for me so it feels more relaxed and tuned. I usually alternate in my sitting position depending on traffic or familiar bumps. My wrist also is chillin. I think you just need some adjusting time to it and you will find that spot for each different scenario rather than one riding position. My 650 has my feeling like I’m chilling watching the sunset listening to synth and I usually have my left hand chillin resting my leg. The 636 has me feeling like im in a game.
About 13k miles combined experience.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts