Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

Project Reborn: '05 ZX6RR Track Build

21K views 191 replies 17 participants last post by  Neonmarine 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm new to the ZX6R world but not new to the track. I started with a 2007 R6 years ago and have progressed to a 2016 ZX10R. I dabbled with racing in 2017 on 2009 R1, but didn't have the speed to make it worth my time. Spent the last few seasons working on my riding and upgrading to a current spec bike. Now, I'm at the point where my lap times are competitive but running a 205hp liter bike is killing my tire budget!

So when a friend of mine showed interest in my 2017 KX450F, we worked out a trade for a couple of his bikes that suited me more. Enter this :

It's a wrecked 2005 ZX6RR and I intend to make it my track day machine for training inbetween WERA rounds here in the south east. Along side my 2013 Ninja 300, I think it will serve a fantastic role as a trainer with the possibility of using it in some races in the future. Maybe a dedicated endurance bike?

Anyway, I've got new track bodywork on the way and some other goodies to make this conversion complete. I love the fact that KHI did such a good job setting this machine up from the factory for trackduty. Besides refreshing the suspension, brakes and tires, this thing is basically ready to go. The only "performance" mod on it is a Two Brothers slipon and doesn't need much more than that for now! I'll be posting more as this progresses.

See less See more
#2 ·
Suspension!!!

Shock and fork work would be bare bones minimums!!! after good tires, brake pads and proper service work on all the mechanicals...

#3 · (Edited)
I hear ya man, suspension is on the list but I will run it bone stock for as long as I can. I don't want to make any changes until its necessary, my ZX10R has all the goodies and I can promise you, this bikes suspension isn't that far off base on initial feels ;) !

I'm not the fastest guy, but I've done a couple trackdays and have a basic understanding of some stuff.:angel

#4 ·
comparing a 2016 ZX10 suspension to that of a neglected and abused 2006 ZX6R is like comparing the mechanical abilities of a trained professional to that of a hack who strips bolts everytime he picks up a tool...........

The suspension will suck ass, they did brand new and it will only be worse with 13 years of neglect and abuse

#6 ·
Parts on order:
Hotbodies Upper/Lower Fairings
Caliper rebuild kit
MC rebuild kit
Galfer SS brake lines

Parts on hand:
New fuel pump

I drop by CycleGear and get some spools and a set of stands to start pulling apart some stuff. Should have it running this weekend, then it's full on maintenance time.

#7 · (Edited)
When I first started using my ZX6 on the track in 2017 it started the process of upgrades just to try and match the feel of my ZX10.

Springs to match my weight
sprockets to get drive
Full exhaust, 09-12 stacks, MWR WSBK, and ECU tuning to get more power and try to get more drive and speed in the straights, after having a liter getting passed on the straights gets old quick when they park it in the turn.
Ohlins shock on the rear because the resprung stock shock just couldn't seem to get me through a turn. I am close to your wieght. Plus Fast Bike Industries was having a closeout with the new model coming out
Galfer Superbike lines because the Spiegler on my ZX10 spoiled me with new RJL pads to replace the oem. VIR south straight showed me the weakness of the stock lines and pads.

All of that was done in progression chasing my well sorted ZX10. I think your list might get longer as you ride it on the track.

Now in 2019 at VIR my ZX6 started to show me where my ZX10 was lacking and I am in the process of addressing some of those items.

Edit-----I am not inferring the stock stuff is not good enough to go fast on. People with more skill than I would take a stock bike and turn quicker times. I like to mod my bikes and improve them when I can. ----Edit

Reactions: Neonmarine
#8 ·
I think you and I are thinking in the same way, though you obviously are a couple years ahead of me! My plan is simple: be fast without any excuses. I've already had some negative feedback about my riding on the ZX10R with comments like "well the bike is insane so clearly you'll be faster". That's getting old. I'll upgrade and replace components as I reach those limits. The suspension will most likely be upgraded before the start of next season, but for now I'll stick with it and just learn how to get the maximum from the current setup.

Woolich Logbox will be here tomorrow, so I can unlock the ECU and start building a map specific for this bike and how I like the throttle response. I got the fuel pump yesterday and might start fitting it after I workout this evening. A full brake rebuild is in the works as you can see and depending on what I do with the ZX10R, there MIGHT be some M50's and 320mm Brembo T-Drives on this machine before long!

#11 ·
Key turned to run: exhaust servo activates, secondary TB's activate (no FP activation), flip run switch on handlebar-then hit the starter and the bike cranks freely. No FI light, tip over switch is "up" orientated.

I've checked the IGN wiring from the key to the harness-looks fine, no exposed wires or pinching.

#13 ·
So after looking at everything, I "think" it might be the damaged relay box. When the previous owner wrecked it, the subframe was bent and that relay box took a hit hard enough to split the plastics. Got another on on the way just be sure ($31+free shipping) and I'll see if there's anything that can work in the mean time.

#15 ·
Little weekend update: got the bike to fire and *kinda* idle. Seems there is a lot of timing chain slack that is making some noise. Oil pressure needs to be looked at because the topend wasn't getting anything and the light stayed on. Not sure what the issue is there, might just need time to burp a little after sitting for years without a full amount in the case.

Lucked out on a eBay purchase, ordered a new airbox (specific to the RR) and got a DNA filter as well! I've got a bunch of parts all over and more coming. Hotbodies fairings are here, front brake rebuild parts, Woolich system is installed on the bike and factory replacement bolts are on the way.

Really wish I could find a full exhaust for this bike. The stock catalizer in the head-pipe is nagging me a little. While it's not going to hold me back in making a lap time, it's rubbing my Germanic heritage wrong knowing the system isn't operating in the most efficient manner for track use. Hit me up if you guys know where I can find a full exhaust or racing head-pipe!

#18 ·
Yeah I hear ya man and normally I'd be all about that, but with a 15yr old bike, I don't really care about before/after numbers. I just want it to be a solid bike to learn how to go fast on. Nothing crazy, just reliable and cheap speed. :devious

#20 ·
Yeah the last time I was on track with a 600 was in 2014. 2007 R6R with a built motor pushing 130hp on pump gas. I remember the bike was nervous and I had to lower the rear a ton to get it to hold a line midcorner. Turn-in was super sharp as well. Cross your fingers: I want to be on track with this in a few weeks...

#21 · (Edited)

While I wait on some parts to arrive, we got the upper mocked up and to note of whats needed in order to get it mounted properly. Started pulling the random BS that's not needed for the track. Servo, horn, fan and some other things under the airbox. Cleaned up the replacement airbox and had to reseal the velocity stacks using weather stripping seal. Cleaned the DNA filter and installed it as well. The used Hindle system is on the way and should be here Thursday. Got a selection of parts coming from Sportbiketrackgear including: block offs, carbon brake pads, new plugs, Zerogravity windscreen, etc...

RonAryes is delivering the new clutch plates/frictions and a new clutch lever with missing bolt tonight. This weekend I plan to get the brakes rebuilt and install the SS lines/new pads. Ordered the front wheel tool so I can get some sticky tires mounted. Thinking of Either Q3's or Michelin Power RS's.

#24 ·

Got in fresh clutch bits. I'm going to adjust the stack height and play with the leaf springs to get the slipper working how I like. (3) 1.6mm steels should be enough to get it within the range I'm shooting for.

#25 ·
Made some good headway today. Burped the oil system and fixed the oil pressure light that was causing some worry. Routed some of the excess harness and fitted some homemade block off plates. Installed the Hindle full system I got off ebay and fiddle with the idle till it was just right. Motor sounds great, noticed the previous owner installed a manual timing chain tensioner, which was nice.

I'm really close to rolling this down the block for a small shake down. Still need to mount the tank and get the seat bolted down. OEM parts are on the way for most of that, so I fully expect to be on track with this in a few weeks. Gonna rock some Pirelli Rosso II's for the first time out. There's a lot to get used to and I don't feel like wasting good rubber while I learn to hand blip etc...

I'm looking to hit Talladega GP on the 14/15th, rain or shine as long as the bike is ready.

#27 ·
Made some more headway this weekend. Got the fairings mounted up and started trimming off the excess wires and connectors for the lights a such. Pulled the relay box into the sub-frame for crash protection and relocated the rectifier up under the fairings for the same reason. I'll be getting in another order from Sportbiketrackgear.com containing legit block off plates, new plugs, a windscreen and some other nick-knacks.

Aiming for the STT trackday's the weekend of the 14th.

#28 ·
More goodies from STG came in yesterday. Swapped out the old plugs and homemade block offs, started mocking up the windscreen (need to get some hardware to mount it). With the exception of the tail unit, I've pretty much got everything I need to get this on track next weekend... Fingers crossed!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.