Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

141 - 158 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
So while we continue to wait on the COVID-19 numbers to flatten out and/or start dropping, I'm continuing to hammer away at fixing little details on the RR. After finding a great deal on a full Akrapovic exhaust (in used condition), I've wanted to fix the busted endcap.

It's not super important but has always been an eye sore for me. So I dug around the interent for a few hours and found a replacement kit made by Akrapovic being sold on Amazon. $120 shipped to my door and I made quick work of replacing the damaged piece.

·
Registered
12,910 Posts
That will look better. I'm a little surprised that the muffler body is metal. A carbon end cap would suggest a carbon muffler..... Kind of a moot point, I'm sure the entire system weighs far less than OEM.

glad to see you tinkering.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
The body of the can is Ti and the rest is steel :( honestly I don't have much care for a full carbon can. Those can break too easily from what I've seen.

Next is a solid black paint job.

As for riding, right now a WERA race weekend is looking more and more promising based on Pennsylvania's opening schedule. That's May 16/17th however, if that falls through, I'll be at CMP with TrackDayWinner for the same weekend. Either way, I'm riding!

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
That will look better. I'm a little surprised that the muffler body is metal. A carbon end cap would suggest a carbon muffler..... Kind of a moot point, I'm sure the entire system weighs far less than OEM.

glad to see you tinkering.
My Akrapovic was titanium with a carbon fiber end caps as well:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
I just checked WERA's schedule and I need to make a correct to the riding plans stated earlier. May 16th weekend is a Nationals race in PBIR and that's my main priority, however if that gets cancelled, then we will be racing at Roabling the same weekend.

The first goal of this year is to spend the majority of my track time racing. Trackdays are good for getting seattime but I want to ride with the fastest guys possible and there is a distinct difference to a Novice race weekend then even Advance group at a typical TD. Not taking anything away from the A group guys, but tthe Noice racers have a bit more "urgency" in their riding. I want to surround myself with guys who will be pushing me. At a TD, I just don't feel the pressure. Lets face it, that's a good thing in that environment, but for me to grow I need the pressure of competition. So that's where I'll be going.

Just wanted to clarify that for you guys.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #150
Starting to get pretty close to finishing the race prep on the RR. Drilled the final few bolts for safeywiring as well as the front axle. Really excited to get this bike on track again!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #152

Putting the finishing touches on the bodywork while we wait for the 2020 season to start. So far I am down to ONE event out of three that is still a GO for May 16/17th. N2/WERA had to reschedule the PBIR round to September and TrackdayWinner had their CMP weekend canceled yesterday.

So it seems that my first time back on track after knee surgery is going to be during the race weekend with WERA at Roabling Road Raceway in a couple weeks. They should be confirming the event is a go tomorrow and seeing how Gov Kemp is really fast-tracking the state's reopening schedule, there is a very high chance this is work out!

Super pumped to get back out there. I'll be sure to have all my camera's on the bike to capture anything and everything that happens for you guys.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hey guys,

I'm new to the ZX6R world but not new to the track. I started with a 2007 R6 years ago and have progressed to a 2016 ZX10R. I dabbled with racing in 2017 on 2009 R1, but didn't have the speed to make it worth my time. Spent the last few seasons working on my riding and upgrading to a current spec bike. Now, I'm at the point where my lap times are competitive but running a 205hp liter bike is killing my tire budget!

So when a friend of mine showed interest in my 2017 KX450F, we worked out a trade for a couple of his bikes that suited me more. Enter this :

It's a wrecked 2005 ZX6RR and I intend to make it my track day machine for training inbetween WERA rounds here in the south east. Along side my 2013 Ninja 300, I think it will serve a fantastic role as a trainer with the possibility of using it in some races in the future. Maybe a dedicated endurance bike?

Anyway, I've got new track bodywork on the way and some other goodies to make this conversion complete. I love the fact that KHI did such a good job setting this machine up from the factory for trackduty. Besides refreshing the suspension, brakes and tires, this thing is basically ready to go. The only "performance" mod on it is a Two Brothers slipon and doesn't need much more than that for now! I'll be posting more as this progresses.
Any updated pictures of your zx6r project track bike?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #157
Buttoning up the last few little things before the opening round of 2020! Did a quick respray to match a set of leathers I have on order with OneX USA. She's really looking good I must say!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #158
Well it was a very eventful weekend. I've got so much to tell, but can't put it all to words. Here's a short video of the track via my Ninja 300 (racing F Superstock). More to follow!

141 - 158 of 158 Posts