Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

121 - 140 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #122 (Edited)
So I had a orthopedic clinic visit Tuesday, the tendon is confirmed to be separated. Going to an MRI in an hour,where the doctor will start making a plan for surgery. I expect to be getting operated on within 10 days or so.

Throughout all this, I'll be doing some minor work to the bike to get it ready for the season. One big change that will be happening is I will be pulling the M4's, T-Drives and the aftermarket MC to put the bike into Superstock form. It's an outstanding brake setup, but at the moment it's not doing me any good and most likely won't matter for my racing performance in the near future.

If anyone is interested in the front brake setup, let me know. Otherwise, their going up on the market by the weekend.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
We got into surgery pretty quick. I was in and out on Friday with minimal effort in repairing the tendon. Now it's just a waiting game and get my physical therapy started. 55 and a wake up til the first 2020 WERA National Series race at Roabling!

Can't wait to get back out there!!!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
Things are still progressing with the bike while I'm healing up. Got a screaming deal on eBay again for this 120mm stroke Ohlins steering damper. Had to get the fork clamp separately, but all totaled it was a couple hundred cheaper than buying it all new.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
I've always liked that arrangement better than the ones going side to side.
Yeah me too, it's by far the coolest setup I've every had on a personal bike. And honestly, if it wasn't for WERA requiring them, I wouldn't have any damper. I like the bars to have some movement so I can feel what the front's doing.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
So we're still moving forward on the bike to make it as competitive as possible. One area that it will have issues with is top speed. Tracks like Roabling, PBIR and Road Atlanta will be tough to hand with R6's since they have such a big advantage in this area. So with a stock motor at 18K miles on the clock, I'm trying to reduce the deficit anyway I can.

MWR makes some awesome filters and I've had them on several bikes over the years. They have 4 different types depending on the bike, unfortunately the older bikes get a little less love so the best one available was the HE (High Efficiency) version. This is also partly due to the fact that the 2005/06 air box isn't designed that well to begin with. So with that being the case I decided to make the best of it with the MWR Adjustment Kit they offer to change the angle of the plate. The purpose of the plate is two fold: first is to evenly distribute the air at each cylinder and second is to reduce intake noise (something that's important in Europe I guess).

I'm after balance in the air box. I'm using (4) short stacks (aka the outer stacks on each cylinder) and tuning with only one O2 sensor in the pipe, so balanced fueling is very important to gain acceleration. I won't get into the actual numbers I used to set the plate because it will change I'm sure. After I get my base tune done, I'll start making some tweaks and with the data-logger we will be able to see where it's helping/hurting performance in 4th, 5th or 6th gear. So with that done, I'm going to get a base tune with KWS in the coming weeks for REC90 fuel and MR12. If we can see 115hp/45tq on pump gas, I'd be very happy.

·
Registered
647 Posts
You always manage to find shit I've never seen before...like that airbox. That's cool as shit! Curious to see what you think of it after getting some seat time with it.

Funny story about the 05/06 636. That platform was my first ever track bike, and the previous owner bought it from a police auction as it was a theft recovery. The thieves had put a nitrious system on it (no shit), and he had to seal the hole in the airbox and all that shit to return it to normal. I've had a lot of bikes since that first 636, and honest to god, it was the fastest 600 I've ever ridden, and I've had the chance to ride some pretty pimped out bikes. I don't know if those guys did any internal motor work on that specific bike or not...but I'll always have a soft spot for that generation bike!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
You always manage to find shit I've never seen before...like that airbox. That's cool as shit! Curious to see what you think of it after getting some seat time with it.

Funny story about the 05/06 636. That platform was my first ever track bike, and the previous owner bought it from a police auction as it was a theft recovery. The thieves had put a nitrious system on it (no shit), and he had to seal the hole in the airbox and all that shit to return it to normal. I've had a lot of bikes since that first 636, and honest to god, it was the fastest 600 I've ever ridden, and I've had the chance to ride some pretty pimped out bikes. I don't know if those guys did any internal motor work on that specific bike or not...but I'll always have a soft spot for that generation bike!
Yeah man, I just pulled some info up on MWR's website based on my ZX10R experience and found this setup. It's not cheap all together, but I plan on keeping this bike for a long time, so why not. Plus I'm laid up waiting on the leg to heal...lots of time to research!

So I can't really complain about the mid range grunt but in stock form there is a lot left at the top end for power. At Jennings I was using a stock headpipe and just a TwoBro slipon (with baffles) to stay under the 104db limit. This made the high rpms a bit weezy honestly. Like just no power at all above 13k or so. With a full exhaust plus a tune, it should wakeup!

I'm really falling in love with this bike. It's just really, really good in practically every area. I don't feel there's really any disadvantage anywhere except in peak power when compared to "modern" 600's . One day I'd like to go full retard and do a 674cc kit and race B Superbike! Give those 750's a run for their money...

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
I did later on haha, here is a Woodcraft toe guard I installed. For $47 it's not bad, but if I had to do it again, I'd get a solid one instead.

Also got a couple pieces to help with the paint scheme a little. Gone are the green tank and green fender!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
One last update for you guys. As has been well discussed and proven over the last decade or more, is the jumper mod. This switches the ignition map on a US/CANADA bike to the EURO ignition map. Well since I'm using the Woolich system, I needed to go get the EURO map and load it into the US table for my bike. So here is the difference:

What we see here is a max RPM ignition increase of nearly 10 degrees of timing. From a simple Google search, this is worth anywhere from 5-7hp at peak. Now it's time to start road tuning with the autotune feature on the Woolich system. Could be on a bike in a couple weeks!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Build is looking good bud! A 09-12 6r shock is a nice cheap upgrade. Is a touch longer and has high speed compression adjustment. It does have a softer spring but your 05 spring should fit fine. I was pretty impressed with this shock back when I had my 05 6r. The added length really helped with exit drive.

121 - 140 of 174 Posts