Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 1999 ninja zx-6r has started making a strange noise in the upper end of the motor. it only has 12,000 miles on it and hasn't been ridden very hard. my guess is that it is the timing chain and that it is just loose. i have been told that between 8,000 and 12,000 miles it is to require a service for the timing chain and to expect the valves. the prob is the service required is very expensive just to tighten a chain.

if anyone could help me out and let me know if anyone has had this problem, that would be much appriciated.

and how hard it is to tighten the cam chain.

·
Registered
617 Posts
It sounds more to me that your hearing valve noise. Cam chains are usually self adjusting unless there is a problem!. Have your bike serviced by a competent mechanic,remember,servicing is cheaper then replacing your motor.:thumbup

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the bike does run fine it just has a that noise, if it were the valves wouldn't it not run? the reason i think its just the chain loose is because if it were to jump a tooth that would cause it to run terrible, making the valves open at the wrong time. or not run at all.

·
Registered
617 Posts
When I say the valves are making noise, I don't mean that the bike won't run!,I'm simply saying that they probably just need adjusting. Kawi's by nature do make a fair bit of noise however a lot of noise could cause problems. When the the valve's are'nt set correctly they will make a lot of noise.If you have a shop service manual,turn to chapter 17-14 and read what it says. If you don't have a manual,go to the file vault and look it up.:thumbup

·
Registered
503 Posts
They all do that sir!!!
It's a Kawasaki thing, and part of the 'rough edge' we all love them for.
In general, Kawasaki's are made with bigger tolerances in the engine department then say a Honda or Yamaha so sound more rattly. The upside is how much power they make and the noise when they are on song is ACE!
If you're REALLY worried about top end valve train noise take it your local dealer for a listen. Shouldn't cost anything for them to just put your mind at ease.

p.s. Don't read any of my other threads on this subject..........

1 - 5 of 5 Posts