Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few days ago I was cut off and dropped my bike on it's right side after locking the front brakes. I rode it about 1/3-1/2 a mile the next day and luckily it seemed to be running fine. Yesterday, however, I was riding it and about 1/2 a mile down the road the rpms started fluctuating. I was just pulling into work so I didn't have time to check it out. When I got off of work and went to ride it, it would start fine, however as soon as I tried to turn the throttle, the rpms would increase about 500 and then they began to lower, then raise again a little, then lower more, continuing until it died out on me. Could someone please tell me possible problems this could be? Thank you

Side note. I started it up today and for about the first 5 second I could give it gas and it would act normal, however after that the rpms began to fluctuate and die out, and would not go above 3k rpm even with the throttle turned all the way.

My bike is a 1996 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R

·
Registered
50 Posts
maybe knocked a cable loose? check the fuel pump is priming properly.

personally save yourself the hassle take it to a mechanic or have your codes read if that applies to the 96 model

·
Registered
40 Posts
Is the 96 carbed or FI?

On my 250 which was carbed I had a similar issue and it turned out that the carbs needed to be drained and tapped a bit. Think it was something with the floater? Also, check your idle adjuster even though it's likely on the left side. Wouldn't hurt to double check your throttle cable as well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts