Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my new (to me) rear shock from a 09 zxr6, that im going to put on my 03 this weekend and was wondering if there is any prep i need to do or can do to it before i put it on this weekend or anything that you guys can think of doing while i got the bike apart this weekend also, and im also gonna be swapping a race tech spring on to it soon also with my fork springs in a few weeks to better match my weight, thanks

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
I just recently watch a YouTube video on this. They performed the rebuild on a CR250F, but I'm pretty sure it's the same procedure. Aren't these shocks filled with nitrogen though? I could be wrong.

·
Registered
48 Posts
^^^ correct, says it on the shock itself.

Reactions: 636MOBIN

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Its excpetionally unlikely that if you are asking these questions that you have the tools to refresh it yourself. Basically, oil, seals, and fresh nitrogen would be the best approach, and maybe like a racetech gold valve and proper spring, but at that point, you are getting up there in cost ($300 for the refresh, plus parts...another $100 for the spring, probably $150 for the gold valve) If its a reasonably low miles shock, just plug and chug....:lol:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Me to matey, learning about suspension set ups myself. Switched my shitty old 99 shock for a refurbed zx9 shock with a maxton spring. I think paying someone to set your suspension up is like having a garage change your oil. Only takes a few hours reading up and patience and you've cracked it. I'm enjoying making these fine mods myself. Just makes my track days much more rewarding when I know I've done all the hard work myself.

Reactions: 636MOBIN

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
its excpetionally unlikely that if you are asking these questions that you have the tools to refresh it yourself. Basically, oil, seals, and fresh nitrogen would be the best approach, and maybe like a racetech gold valve and proper spring, but at that point, you are getting up there in cost ($300 for the refresh, plus parts...another $100 for the spring, probably $150 for the gold valve) if its a reasonably low miles shock, just plug and chug....:lol:

thats what i thought, i thought id ask before i installed it this weekend, I AM GONNA ORDER THE SPRING WHEN I GET BACK FROM VEGAS NEXT MONTH BUT I FIGURE THAT WILL BE THE EXTENT OF SUSPENSION WORK FOR ME TILL I GET TO THE TRACKS AND REALLY DECIDE ON WHAT I WANT NEXT

EDIT: WTF IS WITH MY CAPS LOCK......LOL

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
If you're gonna spring it, and have it rebuild, I imagine that a regale is included or at least is only a few bucks more... Depends on the shop, but especially in the off season, it shouldn't be too hard to find someone legit.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
if you're gonna spring it, and have it rebuild, i imagine that a regale is included or at least is only a few bucks more... Depends on the shop, but especially in the off season, it shouldn't be too hard to find someone legit.
i was gonna swap the spring my self, is there something i dont know , i thought it was simple ?

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
You do need to know the spring length of the new spring. It needs to be setup so that the adjuster is approximately middle of it's adjustment range when you have the preload set correctly. If it's identical to the stock spring your good to go. If it is different you may need a spacer. They had to make one for me when I had Traxxion Dynamics respring my '07 shock.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts