Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does a power commander with out a slipon make a differance? or do you need to do both i have a 03 636 and like the sound of standard exhaust but wont more power

·
Registered
617 Posts
I have a slip-on FMF exhaust and a Power Commander. The combo gave me a little bit more power, but what I found was that my fuel mileage has improved. If you're wanting more power, get a full system and a Power Commander ( you will need one ),also change over to a aftermarket air filter so your bike can breathe better,then get it set up and dynoed. Enjoy!!:thumbup

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
a power commander by itself will give you marginally better power. but that advantages really coming about when you change your intake/exhaust more drastically than just a slip-on. if power is what you want, get a full system.

-:banana

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so if i put on a power commander with out slip on or exhaust and get it set up on dyno the bike should ride better due to a smoother power band etc .
if you dont have the money for both straight up which would you do first exhaust or power commander ?

·
Registered
617 Posts
You can run a slip-on exhaust without a Power Commander, your bike may idle a little rough,but you can run it. If you were to go to a full system,then you would defenitly need a PC to straighten out the air/fuel mixture. You'll also notice a weight difference between the stock can and an aftermarket( the stock can has a catalytic converter inside),which translates into better handling,exelerating and braking. As I said earlier,I run a slip-on with a K&N filter and a PC with a custom map and I got an extra 7 horses over stock. But be warned,do some research into the different slip-on available,their not all made the same. I had a Leo-Vince before my FMF and my bike ran like crap but with the FMF even before I got the map, my bike ran really good,and sounded better. Hope this helps. :thumbup

·
Registered
584 Posts
Maybe the FMF is more restrictive than the LeoVince, hence the bike running better just by changing the can. Both FMF and LeoVince are very good brands that do a lot of testing, I can't say that one should be better than the other, but IMO LeoVince is a very nice quality good looking product.

Greenviper, if you are looking for the best thing to do first and don't care about the sound of the bike so much I would invest in a PCIII. Then you can save up for the full system of your choice; Arata :drool . A slip-on is not going to give much bang for the buck like a full system will, of course it is hard for either of them to offer a whole lot more than the stock system in the way of additional HP/TQ since stock systems these days are very good. However, as pointed out previously, they will take a lot of weight off the bike and they do help to give a better more usable power curve. The most difference comes from changing the fuel and timing though. The factory sets these bikes up VERY lean to make sure they pass emissions standards.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts