Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Portimao
Decided to do my first euro track day to portimao in Portugal, booked with no limits £479 included hotel, bike transport and 3 days on track so me and my best mate booked up and decided to take the girls along too to keep them happy for not leaving them at home and stay a couple of extra days to make more of a holiday of it. The euro day had 3 different groups 1)inters 2)fast and 3)pro, on a normal uk day we book into the inters being a middle group but being a euro track day we were unsure what to expect thinking the standard would be higher so we booked into the first group. We had to take our bikes off to Swindon the Saturday before we went and pack them onto a stillage which was tight as fook to get everything on but got there eventually, one guy managed to drop his mates bike on it side while loading it on no pic as we all ran to help him lift it up luckily just a light bit of faring scuff and cracked the screen. All loaded up it was time to say good bye to my bike until we met on the other side...

The circuit
Wow first impressions as we came up to the circuit were impressive to say the least, a lot of money had been spent here and just the sight of the cambersome corners and the way it carved into the hills was amazing. We unpacked the stillage as quick as we could and got the tyre warmers on ready for our first session out.... 3 sighting laps to try get an idea of where to go and take in the 15 corners, hill crests and descents then the green lights above the start line indicated a go.. go.. go.. with fresh unscrubbed tyres I think I took the first lap a bit too hard I endo'd into turn 5 momentarily locking the front wheel with screech and a puff of smoke and then after turn 8 in second gear I hit a huge wheelie over the hill crest followed by head shake as I landed into the downward decent leading to turn 9, this circuit was fun especially as I had never been on a track with much more then a level camber but I had to remember to pace myself as I had 3 days to try master it. The Portuguese fuel was weird tho 95ron was black almost felt like you was filling the bike with 2 stroke and the super unleaded was dark blue, both worked out about the same price as back home prices. The sunny algarve weather had been the best for us with it hitting between 25-28'c on all 3 days and not a drop of rain in sight, we met a lot of top guys at the track with plenty of banter round the paddocks. Over the 3 days I got faster and faster and me and my best mate had a few wicked battles chopping and changing, over taking and retaking each other as we carved through the rest of the group which become apparent when lots of the guys in the paddock started talking about us as the ninja twins cos once they had seen green come past they knew blue would be too and vice versa. I was rolling on Pirelli supercorsa SP's which I had never used before they were the street compound version of the race tyres but I never had them slip once in the whole 3 days we were there, the lean you get from these is phenomenal I was constantly getting my knees and toes down and as I got faster I even managed to get my elbow down round the outside of someone hard into turn 14 on the final day... :) :) :) I came into the paddocks with a grin like a Cheshire Cat as I raised my elbow with excitement to view the scuff as if it were a trophy, anyways I'll end it now with a few pics I didn't take many was busy enjoying the time but if you've not done a euro day yet be sure to get one booked!!!

Stillage:

Finally loaded no room to spare:

Time to catch a plane :)

Tired girl wants to stay in bed ;)

In hire car on route for first day

All set up:

The track :)

Swimming pool in pits :)

Track time from first day

Elbow down last day :) excuse naked guy in background lol

Hotel clock thinks it's time to get it on ;)

After 3 days on track time to relax

·
Registered
879 Posts
:eek2: badass dude. looks like you had an awesome time. that track looks sick, much better surface than my regular texas tracks.

edit: do you even lift bro?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:eek2: badass dude. looks like you had an awesome time. that track looks sick, much better surface than my regular texas tracks.
Thanks mate, Was really good surface and having 3 days there could really learn the circuit, can't wait to do another euro track possibly Bruno

1 - 5 of 5 Posts