Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all,
So I've been riding my 99 zx6r to work the past couple mornings and the other day the battery was dead, OK I thought, "it's just because the cold starts". So jumped it off and rode it for maybe 30mins and noticed it was about to cut off taking off from 1st, got home dead again. Then no headlight. I tested the voltage and SOMETIMES the headlight is on and only then it seems to be charging but when it's off no charge!

Last night I went to take the alternator out and notice the plug was MELTED WTF! Wires still connected but the bare metal connects I'm pretty sure shouldn't be touching.

Please any help would be greatly appreciated! Or send me somewhere that already covered this. Only had this bike since December.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I took it out it's just a matter of waiting on one. Would it cause the plug to melt like that? I'm assuming I'll have to pay close attention when plugging the new one back up. Thanks for the advice guys!

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Did you replace the burned up wiring as well?

Not questioning your capability just don't know how much electrical experience you got.

Just solder in new wires up to the point where the original is flexible again.

Also, I wouldn't ride the bike until you figured out the root cause.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you replace the burned up wiring as well?

Not questioning your capability just don't know how much electrical experience you got.

Just solder in new wires up to the point where the original is flexible again.

Also, I wouldn't ride the bike until you figured out the root cause.
from what i could see last night the wires didnt look bad. they were actually all still connected just no male and female plastic cover.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
I took it out it's just a matter of waiting on one. Would it cause the plug to melt like that? I'm assuming I'll have to pay close attention when plugging the new one back up. Thanks for the advice guys!
My brother bought a Ducati that had been sitting for a few months a while back. He rode it home as I followed him nd when I looked in my rear view to back into the driveway, the rectifier completely combustes with smoke billowing out of it. That entire thing was roasted! Needless to say, that bike never ran again, lol.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I just received my rectifer today and installed it. Bike was charging fine thought I had solved the problem but then no charge and seen smoke where I had taped the connection that got melted (3 wires from stator) so my question is is my stator bad? I just don't understand why it would make the wires get hot. Please someone give me some info this has ruined my whole day I am just ready to ride!

·
Registered
12,981 Posts
Pop off your stator and check it out. I bet the wires comin out of it are melted... Its gonna get messy when u remove the stator cover btw...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Today I snipped the 3 wires from the stator and the harness then soldierd each individual wire and put heat shrink on them. And the link in my previous post was absolutely right! It's holding great charge! Too bad I spent money on a new rectifier but it's OK. I have the wires where I can reach them and also see them I will continue to keep an eye on them but if anyone has this problem I highly recommend checking this connection issue first and save yourself some money!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts