Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was finally able to pick up a newer, and my second ZX6R! I’m the proud new owner of a 2016 ZX6R KRT-ABS edition, with only 834 miles! I picked it up to eventually be my next race bike, either 2020 or 2021 season at the latest. To be honest though, it’s kind of nice to have a stock street bike at my disposal to just hit some twisties with in between race rounds. But, I haven’t been on the street in almost 2 years though, and I’m not the hooligan I used to be. So it might be a bit overkill for me to just keep it for street duty.
You may have noticed I was going to part out my 09 ZX6R race bike, starting with my still fresh SS built engine. I was then going to swap any race parts that would transfer to the 2016, and part out the rest. Well, I received a solid offer on the 09 race bike as a whole, and I have a sale pending within the next week or so. It kind of throws a monkey wrench into my planning though since I’d have to pretty much start from scratch to make the 2016 race ready! So now I am torn since that will get a bit pricey this off season. I’m not sure if I should race the 09 one more season? Or take the money while I can and do the bare minimum build to get the 2016 race ready for 2020.
To those of you that have raced both platforms, did you like the 2013+ platform out of the box more than the 09-12?
I’m gonna start doing some research since I don’t know all that much about the 13+ when it comes to ABS and traction control. Is it a no brainer to disable the ABS for racing? And I’m wondering about the traction control since I’ve never had it before. Is the stock system reliable or are you using aftermarket platforms such a Bazzaz?
Anyway, I’m pretty stoked to go out to my garage and have two ZX6R’s in there now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Director of Moderation
9,839 Posts
@Backmarker will have good race set up and TCS info on the bike.
I don't think he's ever had a '13-'18 gen ZX6R. He skipped over that one. But between the '09-'12 gen and the new 2019, I imagine there are quite a few similarities to the '13-'18 as far as setup.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If The 09 sale goes through and I start building the 2016, it’ll be bare necessities for now. I’ll probably even go with the stock suspension for this season since even the “bare necessities” such as clip ons, Rearsets, engine case savers, bodywork, exhaust, etc..add up quick! And I figured I would at least need to buy a secondary fuel module like PC5 for a tune. But I wasn’t sure if I should just get a platform that controls the fuel, TC, and QS such as Bazzaz or Rapid Bike. I’d like to do everything right the first time on this bike when I make a purchase.

·
Registered
6,205 Posts
I don't think he's ever had a '13-'18 gen ZX6R. He skipped over that one. But between the '09-'12 gen and the new 2019, I imagine there are quite a few similarities to the '13-'18 as far as setup.
Yeah but there are more similarities between the 13 and 19 models. Everything transfers over. Same TC, engine, shock, linkage ratio, forks.

·
Director of Moderation
9,839 Posts
Yeah but there are more similarities between the 13 and 19 models. Everything transfers over. Same TC, engine, shock, linkage ratio, forks.
I'd like to get another ZX6R too. Preferably a 2019, but would be ok with a '13-'18 as well.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Congrats man! Take the money and rip the newer bike! Hit me up I may have some stuff I could sell ya that will work on the 13+ model. Buy a cheap set of hotbodies this year and send it!

·
Registered
687 Posts
Lots of stuff from the 09/12 fits 13+ and the 2019.

09/12, 13+ fork cartridges can be adapted into the 19. (You'll need the newer cap).

09/12, 13+ shock bolts right up.

09/12 wheels (not rotors,and you have to trim the sensor rings) Fit.

As well the exhaust, rearsets, front sub frame, 13+ clipons, radiator and on and on...

The 2019 items that are different from all models is the harness (and most of the electrical), back half of the sub frame, upper stay, cluster, seat and bodywork to name a few.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Congrats man! Take the money and rip the newer bike! Hit me up I may have some stuff I could sell ya that will work on the 13+ model. Buy a cheap set of hotbodies this year and send it!
Thanks man! I’ve been meaning to hit you up. Do you still have the Attack rearsets I sold you? Lol!

I'd like to get another ZX6R too. Preferably a 2019, but would be ok with a '13-'18 as well.

The guy who built my 09 engine before last season had a great deal for me to build a brand new 2019. But it was still a bit more than I wanted to spend. So when I was able to score this practically new 2016 for $2500-$3000 less than the 19’ I couldn’t pass it up.

Well my short lived dream of having two ZX6R’s in the garage came to end yesterday as I sold the 09. Part of me was hoping the guy wouldn’t get back to me to make my decision easier to keep it lol.
But at least he is coming out for his OMRRA novice license in 2020, so I’ll still be able to see the bike around.

·
Director of Moderation
9,839 Posts
The guy who built my 09 engine before last season had a great deal for me to build a brand new 2019. But it was still a bit more than I wanted to spend. So when I was able to score this practically new 2016 for $2500-$3000 less than the 19’ I couldn’t pass it up.

Well my short lived dream of having two ZX6R’s in the garage came to end yesterday as I sold the 09. Part of me was hoping the guy wouldn’t get back to me to make my decision easier to keep it lol.
But at least he is coming out for his OMRRA novice license in 2020, so I’ll still be able to see the bike around.

Nice! Now you can focus all on the new one :)

I just need to get my RSV4 sold and then I can start looking for a ZX6R again or R6 (I'd prefer ZX6R though). So many people selling bikes now and nobody's buying though :( Had a brief chance at trading it for one of the Roaring Toyz ZX6R's that they had for sale recently, but right as we started sending a few messages back and forth, some other guy bought it straight up from them :(

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nice! Now you can focus all on the new one :)

I just need to get my RSV4 sold and then I can start looking for a ZX6R again or R6 (I'd prefer ZX6R though). So many people selling bikes now and nobody's buying though :( Had a brief chance at trading it for one of the Roaring Toyz ZX6R's that they had for sale recently, but right as we started sending a few messages back and forth, some other guy bought it straight up from them :(

I saw the RSV4 on Facebook last night and almost offered you my 2016 plus cash, but you want “race ready” lol

·
Director of Moderation
9,839 Posts
I saw the RSV4 on Facebook last night and almost offered you my 2016 plus cash, but you want “race ready” lol

Well....depends on how much cash on the side lol I could certainly make an exception ;) But it also doesn't help that we're on total opposite sides of the country, and that would probably kill the deal.

There was a guy in california that had a race ready (endurance ready even) R6 who was somewhat interested in trading, but the cost and hassle of shipping each bike across country made it less appealing for both of us.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well....depends on how much cash on the side lol I could certainly make an exception ;) But it also doesn't help that we're on total opposite sides of the country, and that would probably kill the deal.

There was a guy in california that had a race ready (endurance ready even) R6 who was somewhat interested in trading, but the cost and hassle of shipping each bike across country made it less appealing for both of us.

I do want to keep the ZX6R, but I’d also like to take the RSV4 off your hands. Unfortunately it’s bit of stretch even without the shipping. But I change my mind daily so I’ll keep you posted lol

·
Director of Moderation
9,839 Posts
I do want to keep the ZX6R, but I’d also like to take the RSV4 off your hands. Unfortunately it’s bit of stretch even without the shipping. But I change my mind daily so I’ll keep you posted lol

Buying it straight up would definitely be the way I'd prefer to do it, that way I can look for whatever bike I want afterwards :D

I'll give you a slight ZX6R.com forum discount if you change your mind, and I'll even let you pay for it in 2-3 payments since I'm not really in any hurry ;)

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Buying it straight up would definitely be the way I'd prefer to do it, that way I can look for whatever bike I want afterwards :D

I'll give you a slight ZX6R.com forum discount if you change your mind, and I'll even let you pay for it in 2-3 payments since I'm not really in any hurry ;)

Oh man now you’re making it really tempting! I appreciate the offer, I will have to seriously think about it!

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So to give you an update I am really digging this 2016 and can’t wait to get out on the track with it. It’s been cool to be able to hit the backroads with it in the meantime though since I hadn’t ridden on the street in a couple years. I know it’s always better to buy an already setup race bike, but I’ve always wanted to build a new one from the ground up the way I want it, and this bike was about as close as I could get with a decent savings over brand new.

A HUGE help so far was securing sponsorship/racer support from Driven Racing and Graves Motorsports. I am beyond stoked to have their support on my side to say the least! Here’s some of the goodies I have picked up so far.

·
Registered
333 Posts
So your using Flash Tune for fuel management? Any particular reason why? I’m can’t decide between FT or Woolich for my 2016.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts