Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Wanted to field some opinions here on a topic i'm not too knowledgeable on. so recently i picked up an '09 ZX6R. previous owner removed the cat.. had an m4 exhaust but tuned the bike to perform and be ridden without the muffler. so here's the predicament followed by the question.. i like loud things but this thing is f*cking obnoxious without a muffler. if i slap the m4 back on there, do i have to re-tune the bike to account for the muffler being there now(for lack of better words)?

·
Registered
14,145 Posts
Probably won't make much difference.... the M4 doesn't provide much restriction. If what actually happened was the resonance box was removed, rather than someone punching out the catalytic converter from the header, you're perfectly safe... the cats would provide all of the necessary back pressure to prevent damage to the valves.

If you have the dyno plots in hand from the tune that was done....... only then, would I believe any claims that it was tuned with an open header.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Probably won't make much difference.... the M4 doesn't provide much restriction. If what actually happened was the resonance box was removed, rather than someone punching out the catalytic converter from the header, you're perfectly safe... the cats would provide all of the necessary back pressure to prevent damage to the valves.

If you have the dyno plots in hand from the tune that was done....... only then, would I believe any claims that it was tuned with an open header.

yeah i may be calling it the wrong thing. forgive me, as im not overly inclined, mechanically lol. attached is a pic of what was removed. i always knew it as the Cat. google calls it a cat midpipe (same thing?) i know for sure it was tuned, the bike came from someone i know personally and i know the shop he took it too(i hear what youre saying though).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

i didnt think slippin the muffler in would make too much difference. i just wanted to get some opinions. i appreciate the input

·
Registered
2019 ZX6R
182 Posts
Its not a cat. It's a resonance box or some call it a prechamber. Like RJ said, the cat is actually in the header.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its not a cat. It's a resonance box or some call it a prechamber. Like RJ said, the cat is actually in the header.
ahhhhhh ok ok. im hoping he's right about the other part too then. that if this was taken off and tuned with no muffler on, there won't be much of a difference if i put a muffler on. i guess we'll find out and i'll report back :p. thanks guys

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
Yea, there won't be much difference with or without the M4 installed. It's such a short pipe and completely straight through.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yea, there won't be much difference with or without the M4 installed. It's such a short pipe and completely straight through.
Ok.... I’m researching slipons and a mid pipe for my newly acquired 2010 ZX6R. I assumed that “box” was the catalytic converter, like my Yamaha R1 has. So the cat is actually in the headers on the ZX6R then. When I replace the the resonator and muffler with a aftermarket (Akropovic) mid pipe and muffler I would be fine not having to reflash the ECU then?

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
It should be fine with the link pipe and Akrapovic. That's what I ran (no tuning or flash) before I installed an M4 GP.

Here is a clip with the Akrapovic on the front straight at CotA:

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
wow that IS LOUD
Yes, the Akrapovic is loud when you open it up. The M4 GP is loud, deep, and grunty at all RPM's (which I love)!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts