Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know it should not happened, but my 3 year old dropped a ball point (pen) in the exhaust of my Zx6r 2014 with scorpion exhaust, what should I do now?
I don’t have any good mechanic near me.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Can you remove the muffler ? Should just be able shake it out if its still in the can or pick it out from the intermediate pipe if it slid all the way down to it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can you remove the muffler ? Should just be able shake it out if its still in the can or pick it out from the intermediate pipe if it slid all the way down to it.
I haven’t done it before but I have removed the fairing one time to change the tail light. Should I start the bike? Also attaching the pictures in the post.

·
Registered
8,726 Posts
2 springs and one bolt off the passenger peg (likely 10mm head) and can is off, then start bike and pretty sure with a little rev the pen will slide or fly out long before anything gets hot enough to melt it.... May even make the journey out with can intact

·
Registered
29 Posts
I wouldn't start the bike. You could melt it and have an even bigger problem on your hands. If you can't remove the exhaust on your own, I would trailer it to a shop to have it done.

Or you could possibly use a flash light and bend a metal coat hanger wrapped with electrical tape (to prevent scratches) to fish it out.

·
Registered
13,313 Posts
I bet if you start it up and give it a good rev, the pen will come out without having to remove anything.
Thats what I was thinking too.The engine pushes a lot of air through the exhaust system. A good rev should shoot that pen right out. Thats the easiest method.
If it doesnt work, then shut the bike off before the muffler gets too hot. Then u have no choice but to take the muffler off. But try the easy method first.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Have you looked in with a flashlight to see if you can see it? Might not be too far down and possible to carefully fish it out. If that doesn't work would try taking can off. Last choice would be run the engine, if I did that would lift the front wheel as much as possible- no I'm not saying wheelie :)

·
Director of Moderation
10,506 Posts
A friend's kid did the same thing with his Aprilia except for he threw a rock down the pipe. Ended up taking the exhaust off. I highly doubt starting it up and revving it will push it out. I once dropped a screw from the db baffle down my exhaust and revving didn't do anything. But being steel, I just got one of those thin telescoping magnets, shoved it in the pipe and pulled the screw out that way. Not gonna work with a pen unless it's partly made of steel :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks everyone for your suggestions, I went for a small ride. After coming back to home I took off the exhaust along with other extensions I don’t know what they are called but there was no pen inside it, so I am pretty sure when I went on a ride it was thrown away at high rpm.

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
Thanks everyone for your suggestions, I went for a small ride. After coming back to home I took off the exhaust along with other extensions I don’t know what they are called but there was no pen inside it, so I am pretty sure when I went on a ride it was thrown away at high rpm.
Yup! I knew a good rev would throw it out of there! :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts