Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anybody else not like riding people on the back of their ninja?

i used to have a honda 250 and that thing was great for riding people on the back...smooth and comfy.

the ninja, dont get me wrong, is an amazing bike i love it to death. but when i take someone for a ride, its really awkward. they dont kno where to put their hands and they constantly change positions, often putting their hands on my tank (which i hate)

so am i doing something wrong? i take off and stop pretty smoothly but the passenger still either jerks back on takeoff or smushes me (and my uh.. buddies) on slowdowns. is this how it is for everyone? or am i just bad at riding people

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
i don't like riding 2 up, but if you do, having the passangers put their hands on the tank in front of your stomach is the key to having them not clank into you, and smash the back of your helmet. this way they're supporting their body weight, not you....makes it much more pleasant. and when you go fast its easy for them to push there arm against your sides to hold on.

btw, riding 2up is the best first date transport :devious

-:banana

·
Registered
211 Posts
I rode my girlfriend on my Ninja for the first time last weekend, it wasn't as bad as I exected it to be. But yeah, she left smudges all over my gas tank! Also, we were a bit wobbly when going real slow, but once we hit like 10 it was fine. Sucked having to take my rear seat cowl off and on tho.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I'm not crazy about it, bike just really isn't made to have someone back there and handles a bit weird, though having a passenger that knows what she's doing makes a huge difference, getting her her own bike makes an even bigger one though:thumbup

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
I used to 2-up my sister and my friend around. Both used to smash me in the back of the head. And it was on the old 250 (I could at least kind of touch the ground on that) so every corner we went around kind of decent the exhaust and pegs would scrape. I'd giggle with glee while my passenger squeezed the bodily fluid out of my kidneys.

Would never ride 2 up on the Ninja. It just doesn't look like a bike that would enjoy it. I went 2-up on it when my riding buddy test rode it for me. He accelerated to merge and I nearly flew off the back. Honestly, there is no way to sit comfy on the back of it. The angles are all wrong and it's uncomfortable as hell.

·
Registered
124 Posts
A 2 up ride is an awesome first date! Not too much awkward talk haha.

And I find that it depends on who you are giving a ride. Some people are twitchy back there, but some people you dont even notice.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I generally only dink my kid, and I have a buddy belt for him, there's no way he could get around me and onto the tank. :laugh

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have been doubling my wife around for a couple of years. We never had a problem until the 636, as there is not much to hang on to. I bought a ventura grab rail for her to hold on to and now most of the time its like she isnt even there.

·
Registered
503 Posts
i ride with my kids on the back quite regularly. SMOOTHNESS is the key!
There again, both my kids are GREAT on the back and don't try to steer from the rear as some pillions can do!
I can easily keep up with mates on ride-outs with my kids on the back and the only real differences i can find are that braking is a bit heavier on my arms and i tend not to move around on the bike as much. Keep the gear changing and braking progressive and smooth and both bike and passengers will be happy!

(Still faster and more fun on my own though!!!!)

·
Registered
894 Posts
I've had a number of different pillions on different bikes...

636's are not good to go 2up on. however, as long as you have set out the ground rules with your passenger (i.e. a tap on the leg mean hang the fark on!), it's all good. :)

·
Registered
590 Posts
I only have a problem riding two up on my ninja if the passenger doesnt want to co-operate, and behave themselves on the back. My girlfriend goes on the back all the time and she is great on the back, i barely even notice she is there. However i have had my brother on the back once and he was a pain. He liked to lean the opposite way then where i wanted the bike to go.

That being said i still love to ride without anyone on the back. You can ride the bike the way it should be ridden without a passenger.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts