Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

Parts I will be ordering shortly...

3K views 46 replies 7 participants last post by  RJ2112 
#1 ·
I like the Sato install with no fairing cutting. Full rails would offer more protection, I'm just looking to limit plastics damage in a low speed simple type of fall:

My OEM windshield is weathered and has some damage from spilled brake fluid.... Hoping to get a green shield:

Pegs an inch lower than OEM seem like they should allow me more comfort/less kink in my knees...

This gizmo locks into the same spot as the passenger pad, and has multiple tie down points. I can see that as the hard point for the second part of my tank bag to act as a top case, and it would also allow use of soft saddlebags without them hitting the plastics.

See less See more
#2 ·
I like the Sato install with no fairing cutting. Full rails would offer more protection, I'm just looking to limit plastics damage in a low speed simple type of fall:

I had the OES frame sliders on my 2012. No cut, and nice fit and finish. I had the front and rear spools as well. Just throwing it out there for comparison.

#3 ·
Like the gizmo, would be handy for long trips. I've wondered about doing long trips on a Z6R 636. Now have moved on for something that is a bit more suited for long rides but still the idea is tempting. I dropped my 2014 a couple of times on the left side at 0mph. First time I jumped off when someone turning a corner almost hit me - went by on my right!!! This was not in England where that is they way it is supposed to happen. Chipped the edge of the midfairing and scratched the lower a bit but no real damage. Drool[[ed it on the side of I-75 after pulling over th fix hy Sena bluetooth, flipped kickstand down but it ditnt go into position! Bam I'm on the ground and the bike is also! Hadn't replaced the chipped mid fairing so added another chip but not real apparent. Bent the clutch leaver but was able to continue on. I was amazed no more damage than that.

#4 ·
Do you have an alternative link to the gizmo? It just takes me to google and says "Product cannot be found".

#39 ·
Reading the reviews, you either take parts off your pillion pad,or source the brackets from somewhere else....

You get the plate, screws and spacers, but no brackets.
I bought a second passenger seat form a forum member for like $50, and I removed the cover and padding. That left me with the hard plastic base to mount things to. Same idea, but a .lot less expensive.

#7 ·
Ahhh cool, thanks for the text - when I googled that it came up with something. Google store still refused me (probably geo-location or some rubbish);

I have one like this, which attaches to the pillion seat: Oxford T40R TAILPACK - BLACK : Oxford Products

#8 ·
Just a word of warning with any luggage that sits in the pillion area. You may have to do a high-kick to get your leg over the bike and avoid knocking the luggage when you mount up. It's annoying but you get used to it.

Reactions: PhotoAl
#9 ·
On other bikes, I've learned to bend my knee and put that over the seat first, rather than the high kick. This one, it almost seems like I'd be better off standing on the left peg while it's on the side stand. Just not as flexible as I was in decades past.

#10 ·
Yes for sure need to work on the flexibility! Over the last couple of year have done several long solo motorcycle trips. In September when I traded bikes in the middle of a trip, the new bike (Yamaha Tracer GT) was a bit taller than old bike. Since my pillion seat had a 58 liter bag on it had to grab my foot and help it over - its tough getting old! After a few days didn't need the hand assistance and could get my foot over just fine. LOL almost fell one time getting off when my foot caught on the seat - that would have been damaging to my ego!

#11 ·
So far, I've ordered the MRA screen in green, a replacement clutch lever, New OEM steering neck bearings, a replacement cover for the rear MC... Will get the pegs ordered today, I think.

The body protection, I know I want a no cut design and I don't like single point connection to the frame. A race rail, or stunt cage just seems like overkill.... I know I can do sliders stupid cheap, and don't like the trade off. The Woodcraft street design would be my choice except for the fairing cuts needed were I to go that route.

Probably still going with the SATO design.

#16 ·
install went pretty quickly. Packaging and directions were of high quality, as are the parts. Took me longer to convince myself that everything was really that well sorted than the actual wrenching. Maybe an hour, all told.

left side

Looking down left side

right side

looking down right side

Attachments

#15 ·
Pickings are slim, for windscreens.... just placed an order for an in stock Zero Gravity Sport Touring windscreen in smoke tint. $64 with tax. Didn't like any of the green options for what is on the market at present, like the shape of the touring screen as it's simple and clean.

#17 ·
I won't bore you with pictures of an OEM clutch lever being installed, LOL. I only had to do it twice, after I realized I needed the bushing out of the first lever. Had to carefully drive that out, clean it up, laid a light coat of grease on the bushing before installing it into the new lever, which of course convinced me I needed to clean up the bolt that acts as the pivot. Another fine layer of fresh grease on that, and everything slipped right into place.

Nice to discover the bolt 'head' is keyed to the clutch perch so you don't have to hold it still while undoing the 10 mm lock nut under the perch.

Nice clean action, the lever wasn't as bent as the brake lever had been so the change in position is not as noticeable -- I know it's corrected, which is all that really matters to me.

#25 ·
It's especially galling when my wife's 2 nd COVID shot was just put off, due to the potential for bad weather. I'm going 25 miles further than her, to spend 6+ hours in the hospital in Stafford getting imaging done..... they're not closing. Most of the elective stuff is being shuttered, but a primary hospital's imaging department never sleeps.

#26 · (Edited)
So the screen and pegs were simple installs, hardest part was finding the circlip after it sprung off, and figuring out which way the springs install to keep the pegs fully deployed. Pleasant surprise when I found the bolts for the foot peg carrier had loosened....

Left side, without adjusting the shift lever... it should easily move to where I'll want it.

Right side, same story. This is the side the carrier was loose on. I should receive my rear brake reservoir cover in a couple of days.

The Zero Gravity touring screen, is about 1" taller than OEM over the center half of the screen. Clean install, no spatter marks from brake fluid spills.

This shot, I wanted to try and show how the bar end sliders on the longer bars, and the engine cover slider should limit plastics damage.

#27 ·
Personally I wouldn't give a shit about plastics being damaged (since the Chinese reproductions are so good these days). I'd rather protect the frame, engine and tank. Cool pegs, never seen those before. I was looking into these ones for my Z900 but never bothered and sold the bike for a Z1000R which was more roomy: MFW Vario Adjustable Footpegs Rider | Rider Magazine | Rider Magazine

#28 ·
I have avoided bike with large amounts of plastics, because of the expenses involved in keeping them pristine. Bikes should be used and worn in. Character.

Now that my health is in question, I can find some solace in making the bike better. It gives me a small illusion of control and I can see the positive in it.

When it was just another of a long series of bikes I have owned, my perception and appreciation of it was somewhat different than it is at the moment.

To anyone else, this is and should be just another 12 year old bike with nearly 70K miles on it. I daresay it is in better condition than many that were built that year. I am sure there are some number of better examples than this one; there are more that are worse than better, IMHO. Irregardless, I am finding some peace in making it closer to whole.

My milage will certainly vary, compared to yours. I'd rather ride it into the ground, than polish a hangar queen. If I can't ride it because of the weather or health, some level of polishing is inevitable. It's a good distraction. Improving this one is a losing proposition -- what I sink into it, cannot be recovered if it is sold. The market will not bear that. What I am doing now, is less than the cost of years of payments on something I am unlikely to wear out, which would still have negative equity when I can no longer ride.

The amount I am doing now, is my wife's nefarious plot to keep me from buying a new bike. :)

#29 ·
RJ2112, you have a great attitude. Your bike looks fantastic! When you love a bike it really shows. Remember we only have today, tomorrow is not guaranteed - it just seems that way sometimes.

Very glad your wife is getting the vaccine. My wife and I are over 65 and have been trying to get our vaccines but no success. Was very difficult getting my mother-in-law signed up and she is 92 with health issues. Have friends and relatives in Georgia and Florida that are same age and got their vaccines a week or two ago. I guess I can say Alabama 1st in football last in vaccinations.

LOL since I bought a new bike last September I am banned from even mentioning a different motorcycle - you can't want a new bike you just got one. When I did a demo ride on an Indian FTR I got the you rant going to trade your new bike are you? Last month I mentioned buying a new Bolt because they were giving them away (well almost) we had a involved discussion about having a battery car where would I charge it how could it have something I couldn't charge away from home. I gave up figuring too hard to convince her, next day she says when are we going to go look at the Bolt? I thought she was totally against it but no she just had concerns. She also pointed out to me we got an extra $3,000 bonus earnings on top of our GM Card earnings. So 3 days later I had a Bolt ($21,322 out the door for a car with a MWRP of $44,130). Now I have to be good and not talk about cars or motorcycles for a while.

#30 ·
Al,

Previous bikes have started to lose their 'snap' after 50K miles or so. By that, I mean the things that keep a bike interesting -- acceleration, handling, etc. This one is still doing well in that regard.

I've always taken the position that how a bike looks is at best a secondary consideration. Form should follow function, and the best derivation of that is the minimum needed to do the job. Light makes right. Less mass benefits anything to do with motorcycles in the most fundamental ways.

I used to admire the pre-unit Triumphs, when you had a bike that you could see through. Pared down to the essence of what was required to do the job. A form of poetry, in that.

I know I could make this bike lighter..... but for me there isn't a whole lot of point in that. It's light enough already. The 0-60 times are perfectly acceptable as is. The easy weight is there to be removed; if the exhaust is modified and the battery replaced, I'm sure that's an easy 20 lbs, which would cost $400 or more (at the best $2/lb). From there, it just gets more expensive. The freebies -- I could toss the tool kit, the exhaust servo, etc. -- I'll leave to someone else.

#31 ·
One thing I did find odd, when I went to adjust the lever heights for rear brake and shifter..... the rear brake side OEM peg carrier has additional nuts backing the tapped portion of the frame.

When I was installing the lowered peg on that side, I had noticed the upper bolt of the carrier to frame mounting point was a bit loose. I tightened it up that day; but when I went to do the adjustment, I decided the right answer was to use some thread lock on those bolts to ensure it didn't happen again.

When I loosened the upper bolt and started backing it out of the hole, I heard and saw a nut fall out of the bike from that same area. Seemed very odd to me, to have an extra lock nut on the back of such an assembly. Particularly with the difficulty of getting to the back side of that tapped portion frame rail, due to the proximity of the swingarm and exhaust resonant box. That nut threaded onto the bolt I removed, fairly conclusive that it came from where I think it did.....

I looked closely at the lower mounting point; sure enough, there's another nut there. With that as my basis, I re-installed that nut onto the inside of the frame on the upper mounting point, locking the bolt to the frame from the back.

I've since looked at the parts diagram on Partzilla..... no such nut exists. There is also a bracket of some kind stacked with the footpeg bracket which does not appear to be on the diagram. It appears to be flat stock, probably at least 0.040" thick and has a tang pointed down towards the exhaust.

Has anyone else seen this stuff?

#34 ·
One thing I did find odd, when I went to adjust the lever heights for rear brake and shifter..... the rear brake side OEM peg carrier has additional nuts backing the tapped portion of the frame.

When I was installing the lowered peg on that side, I had noticed the upper bolt of the carrier to frame mounting point was a bit loose. I tightened it up that day; but when I went to do the adjustment, I decided the right answer was to use some thread lock on those bolts to ensure it didn't happen again.

When I loosened the upper bolt and started backing it out of the hole, I heard and saw a nut fall out of the bike from that same area. Seemed very odd to me, to have an extra lock nut on the back of such an assembly. Particularly with the difficulty of getting to the back side of that tapped portion frame rail, due to the proximity of the swingarm and exhaust resonant box. That nut threaded onto the bolt I removed, fairly conclusive that it came from where I think it did.....

I looked closely at the lower mounting point; sure enough, there's another nut there. With that as my basis, I re-installed that nut onto the inside of the frame on the upper mounting point, locking the bolt to the frame from the back.

I've since looked at the parts diagram on Partzilla..... no such nut exists. There is also a bracket of some kind stacked with the footpeg bracket which does not appear to be on the diagram. It appears to be flat stock, probably at least 0.040" thick and has a tang pointed down towards the exhaust.

Has anyone else seen this stuff?
You got some pics? If I remember correctly, one of the zx6s I’ve bought had a m4 slip on muffler that had a weird mounting bracket setup, kinda like what you described.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.