Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

21 - 40 of 180 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
So let me get this straight! Does an r6 tail swap right into my 08 zx6r? If so what year of r6 and from 1 to 10 how hard is it or did i just read wrong?

ThX

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
So let me get this straight! Does an r6 tail swap right into my 08 zx6r? If so what year of r6 and from 1 to 10 how hard is it or did i just read wrong?

ThX
No, not even close. Besides, your tail is nicer than the R6 tails anyways. The R6 subframes bolt down similarly to the J and G model subframes, you just need to make a small bracket on each side to reach the bottom mount to the frame.

I think it would be more trouble than it's worth.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Probably too late but the 05 636 ignition won't simply plug in and bolt up on an 04. The ignition where it goes through the hole on the triple tree is bigger on the 05 than it is on the 04 and older. The orientation of the switch itself and the handlebar lock will also be different. I put an 05/06 636 ignition on my ZZR600 when I did my fork swap and it took a few hours of grinding and filing to get the ignition plunger to engage the frame on my bike. Definitely not a direct swap.

Also people need to realize that the part numbers you see are general numbers. For example 1234 could mean "swing arm", and 1234 will be listed for other models as well to represent a swing arm, but it doesn't mean they are the same part. I hope this helps someone from ordering the wrong part by mistake.
Ok so question I have an 04 636B can I use the top triple tree clamp from an 05, I already have an ignition I just want to bolt the old ignition from the 04 into the 05 clamp... possible??

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
The 08 swing arm will work with the stock 98 chain and also you can use the stock wheels with the right spacers machined up or cut down..

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Ok so question I have an 04 636B can I use the top triple tree clamp from an 05, I already have an ignition I just want to bolt the old ignition from the 04 into the 05 clamp... possible??
Yes the 05-08 top tree will bolt up. Your ignition bolt holes line up with the newer tree, but your steering lock likely won't work without some extra work.

Just for additional information, the ignition mount on the 07/08 tree is longer than the 05/06, which means you'll need to remove some material to get the ignition to sit the same in the 07/08 tree. Also the 03-05 top tree ignitions are mounted offset where as the 07/08 are mounted in the center, so swapping from one to the other likely will make so you can't use your steering lock without drilling a new hole in the frame for the pin to insert. I'd just drill a new hole in the thick area where you'll find the original hole. It's a pain in the ass, but it's up to you i you care about a steerin lock. My fighter has been without one for a few years.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yes the 05-08 top tree will bolt up. Your ignition bolt holes line up with the newer tree, but your steering lock likely won't work without some extra work.
Thanks for the feed back, I was having a hard time finding one for my bike my search was getting desperate... One turned up on Ebay I snatched it up same day ha

·
Registered
120 Posts
-05-10 ZX6R Front Rotors are all the same
-04-10 ZX10R Rotors the same as 05+ ZX6R
Just to expand on these, as Im investigating a swap at the moment.

zx6r:
03-12 front rotors are the same, and are a direct swap.
- 03/04 gold centres, not wavy/petal type, but direct swap - mistaken - see below
- 05/06 ones are gold centers, 5.5mm thick
- 07-12 ones are black centers, 6mm thick. Also used on the 07/08 z1000
- 13-?? ones are 310mm diameter, so no longer a direct swap

zx10r:
still investigating these, but the 08 onwards discs are 310mm, so are not a direct swap..? bolt holes are the same however

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
zx6r:
zx6r:
03-12 front rotors are the same, and are a direct swap.
NO, do not put 03-04 rotors on your 05+, they are smaller in diamater (290mm vs. 300mm if im not mistaken)

zx6r:
- 13-?? ones are 310mm diameter, so no longer a direct swap
zx10r:
still investigating these, but the 08 onwards discs are 310mm, so are not a direct swap..? bolt holes are the same however
You can install larger rotors you will need spacers for your caliper, as long as the bolt pattern line up

·
Registered
8 Posts
Would the 600p8f engine swap into an older 600p7f frame without any trouble? I know they should but am trying to be 100% sure since I've had my engine ruined and found an 08 replacement...

Thanks

·
Registered
914 Posts
Would the 600p8f engine swap into an older 600p7f frame without any trouble? I know they should but am trying to be 100% sure since I've had my engine ruined and found an 08 replacement...

Thanks
Mate, this question has been answered in all three of the threads you have asked...
P7F and P8F are the exact same bike, just different years (2007 and 2008)

·
Registered
1,191 Posts

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
So to put 03-04 or 05-06 forks on my J, I'll need the forks, both triples, and the piece to go on top of the steering stem if beard still makes it? Anything else I'm missing? Trying to price this out

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Oh, and does anybody know how well dirtbike bars would mount up to a newer top triple?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi great thread, can you please confirm that I can use the 05-08 ZX6R Shock and linkage and it will fit on a 2002 a1p zx636 with no issues.

thanks

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Hi great thread, can you please confirm that I can use the 05-08 ZX6R Shock and linkage and it will fit on a 2002 a1p zx636 with no issues.

thanks
Yes. This has been confirmed many times on many forums. Extremely popular upgrade. You will need a few washers on top of the shock though. Your shock is a little longer than the newer ones. Adjust to your liking.

So to put 03-04 or 05-06 forks on my J, I'll need the forks, both triples, and the piece to go on top of the steering stem if beard still makes it? Anything else I'm missing? Trying to price this out
Your J stem has to be pressed out of the J lower tree and then pressed into the lower tree from any 03-08 ZX6R. They're all dimensionally the same. Top trees are also, but look different model to model.

If you want dirt bars you'll need an 03/04 top tree, fill in the cavities on the under side with JB Weld (for strength), then drill for risers. I opted to hack up a $230 HoHey top tree made for the 05/06 636. I had to do this to make it work on my J. I suggest doing the previously mentioned method. The HoHey tree is nice, but it was a pain to grind down and modify. I'm not going to get deep into exactly what needed modified. Save your money and a headache.

21 - 40 of 180 Posts