Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

Is it enough to disable the PAIR valve with ECU flash, or does it have to be physically blocked off (with plates) to disable those annoying deceleration popping ?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
So in other words: ECU flash only disables CE light and producing an error code, should I remove the valve physically.

Well, I guess, block of plates are way to go then. Can anyone chime in, how difficult is to access and remove the entire PAIR system ? I have the 2019 ZX6R version

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
So in other words: ECU flash only disables CE light and producing an error code, should I remove the valve physically.

Well, I guess, block of plates are way to go then. Can anyone chime in, how difficult is to access and remove the entire PAIR system ? I have the 2019 ZX6R version
I would remove it (you could do the mod instead: Quickest and Easiest Kleen Air Mod in History, but block off plates is cleaner). It's not difficult either way. Everything is under the fuel tank and air box (You don't even need to completely remove the fuel tank. See the first part of my video for how to hold to fuel tank up here:
)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info and link @Strider!

One the other note, in this video, the tech explains, that is is actually a bad idea to block off the PAIR valve, if you still have your cat on. He explains, that with PAIR valve blocked the cat cannot function properly due to richer fuel mixtures in the pipes and can get blocked up and cause issues and reduced performance over time. In my case, I have my cat on, as well as the pre-muffler/chamber with Scorpion slip-on exhaust connected to it. What is your experience with this ?

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
I have the cat still in there and an M4 GP slipnon and haven't seen any issues at all (~70,000 miles on the bike now, and I got it brand new. The block off plates have been on there for probably 50,000 or more of those miles.).

Edit: Found this article that says the current catalytic converters actually require a richer mixture than the older styles used pre 1981: Catalytic converter - Wikipedia

And, according to this, running richer actually protects the catalytic converter: Does running an engine rich protect the catalytic converter? - Quora

This is due to more fuel in the mixture making things run cooler.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts