Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

Is it enough to disable the PAIR valve with ECU flash, or does it have to be physically blocked off (with plates) to disable those annoying deceleration popping ?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
So in other words: ECU flash only disables CE light and producing an error code, should I remove the valve physically.

Well, I guess, block of plates are way to go then. Can anyone chime in, how difficult is to access and remove the entire PAIR system ? I have the 2019 ZX6R version

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
So in other words: ECU flash only disables CE light and producing an error code, should I remove the valve physically.

Well, I guess, block of plates are way to go then. Can anyone chime in, how difficult is to access and remove the entire PAIR system ? I have the 2019 ZX6R version
I would remove it (you could do the mod instead: Quickest and Easiest Kleen Air Mod in History, but block off plates is cleaner). It's not difficult either way. Everything is under the fuel tank and air box (You don't even need to completely remove the fuel tank. See the first part of my video for how to hold to fuel tank up here:
)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info and link @Strider!

One the other note, in this video, the tech explains, that is is actually a bad idea to block off the PAIR valve, if you still have your cat on. He explains, that with PAIR valve blocked the cat cannot function properly due to richer fuel mixtures in the pipes and can get blocked up and cause issues and reduced performance over time. In my case, I have my cat on, as well as the pre-muffler/chamber with Scorpion slip-on exhaust connected to it. What is your experience with this ?

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
I have the cat still in there and an M4 GP slipnon and haven't seen any issues at all (~70,000 miles on the bike now, and I got it brand new. The block off plates have been on there for probably 50,000 or more of those miles.).

Edit: Found this article that says the current catalytic converters actually require a richer mixture than the older styles used pre 1981: Catalytic converter - Wikipedia

And, according to this, running richer actually protects the catalytic converter: Does running an engine rich protect the catalytic converter? - Quora

This is due to more fuel in the mixture making things run cooler.

·
Registered
9,861 Posts
Hi there,

Is it enough to disable the PAIR valve with ECU flash, or does it have to be physically blocked off (with plates) to disable those annoying deceleration popping ?

Thanks in advance!
Block them. Unburnt fuel is a bitch. Mine still occasionally does it and scares the fuck out of me.

·
Registered
102 Posts
+1 needs to be blocked. You can stop the CEL from coming on with an ECU flash but if you're running a Power Commander or Bazzaz or something like that you're probably not going to get the flash too.

4 options for what to do with the valve once the plates are installed.
  • Leave it plugged in to flop around in there (booooo)
  • Get an ECU flash to ignore it ($$$)
  • Solder a 22ohm 10watt resistor in line (yay, but hard to reverse)
  • Order up a plug and play bypass ((y))

PS: It's not hard to do.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the cat still in there and an M4 GP slipnon and haven't seen any issues at all (~70,000 miles on the bike now, and I got it brand new. The block off plates have been on there for probably 50,000 or more of those miles.).

Edit: Found this article that says the current catalytic converters actually require a richer mixture than the older styles used pre 1981: Catalytic converter - Wikipedia

And, according to this, running richer actually protects the catalytic converter: Does running an engine rich protect the catalytic converter? - Quora

This is due to more fuel in the mixture making things run cooler.
Hey Strider did you have the M4 GP Slip on from the beginning? Stock ECU and reached 70k miles with just normal maintenance from the service manual. I just picked up a like new 2016 zx6r that came with an M4 GP Slip on and disconnected servo cables. No CEL. Only had 800 miles on the bike. The power is enough for me as it is, main thing I am concerned about is it running lean but the cat is still in the header. I’d like to reach high mileage as well.

I had this same exact bike 2 years ago and put 22k of street miles on it in about a year then got a small ticket and decided to switch to a 2017 Yamaha FJ-09 to kind of tame my riding a bit with the upright seating position. Kept that for a year and only put 10k miles on it adding a quickshifter and full california compliant Yoshimura exhaust while owning it. But it just did not give me the same pleasure the zx6r does. When I found the EXACT same 2016 zx6r and color for sale again I grabbed it and sold the fj09. Not letting this baby go until death do us part : ).

Back to my point though, I am curious how your Zx6r is doing if you have had the stock ecu and m4 slip on for so many miles. I may do a baseline dyno run to just know for certain (once block off plates installed). Shouldn’t be more than $100 I am guessing. I am in North Bay Area California.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Smartmoto makes a nice PAIR delete kit and it comes with a plug and resistor so the ECU doesn’t complain. It will not hurt your catalytic converter.

Once you have the plates installed if you still have popping you should get it tuned. Before you put it on a dyno change the oil and oil filter and replace or clean the air filter. Since you have lots of miles I would also adjust the valves prior to running on the dyno.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I eliminated the air injection in the exhaust with my own recipe: I took advantage of the fact that I had to adjust the valves and when removing the two camshafts, install 4 6mm allen screws
(his head fits right into the hole and of course i leave in place the 4 guides) blocking the ducts that carry the air to the exhaust. Leave the original plates, hoses and PAIR valve installed, remove the hose that goes from the valve to the air filter and put a plug in each hole, except for this at first glance everything is 100% OEM and of course I have no error.
I don't know if this method is better or worse than the ones described above, but it's mine.
Vehicle Automotive engine gasket Gas Audio equipment Motor vehicle

1 - 11 of 11 Posts