Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be buying some new bodywork soon for the track, and I'm not sure if I should spend the extra on pre-colored fairings. Does anyone have experience painting their own? Tips? Tricks? Is it worth it? I'll just be doing one solid color throughout with some vinyl stickers at the end. Can you do it with a rattle can and have it look any good? Thanks!

·
Registered
989 Posts
I do my own. Yes rattle can looks fine, especially at 140mph. You can get it pretty dam shiny too.

I did a carbon fiber effect here. I cut out the ninja to let air in the belly pan because without it it was burning the paint. Hole is plenty high to hold fluid

·
Registered
475 Posts
I repaired and rattle can painted a pair of crashed fairings that i got from Hitman123. If you spend a little time on it and sand well enough you can save yourself hundreds of dollars! The link below is a breakdown of my repair job.

http://zx6r.com/racing/58611-crashed-fairing-repair-lots-pics.html

All White Primer

Black and White Paint (decals to come next)

Reactions: moto82199

·
Premium Member
1,715 Posts
I'm liking where this thread is going.... :bigthumb:

·
Registered
144 Posts
I say paint them yourself! I'm going to give it a try. It will be my first attempt. I opted for a cheap paint gun but have see a number of rattle can jobs that look nice.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I did my last set myself. Cheap spray gun and a make shift spray booth in the garage. Bought some ready to spray single stage paint and a matte finish clear coat.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Sure I painted mine myself with rattle can(cheapest I could get) gray primer... :) easy to fix and a race bike is about going fast not looking good so I'm the ugliest bike when I race. Lol

Attachments

·
Registered
171 Posts
+1 for DIY paint jobs. Hopefully I'll get to the "real" paint job on my race bike soon.
Three things I always tell my self when painting, rattle can or fancy gun:

1) practice first. Get some cardboard and set your distance and travel speed.

2) if the trigger is pulled you better be moving. Start spraying away from the part so that you hit the part in travel, then keep spraying till you are past the part.

3) you can always do another coat. If things look light don't glob on another fistful. You'll get runs and and it will take twice as long to dry. Let it set up and hit it again.

Lastly, if you are new to painting, go rattle can. If you, spend the extra on nice cans from an auto paint shop they will work surprisingly well and save you a pile of ca$h over a gun set up. For just paint for a gun, assuming no issues and two good coats, your looking at a $60-100 investment in one pigment, activator (usually only comes in bulk) and clear. Then the gun, air supply, good system to dry and regulate the air before it gets to the gun... If you plan to take up painting as a hobby/side job, cool. If you plan to paint a set of fairings once a year, I'd go cans.

O', and get a mask, even just a cheap throw away one. That stuff is nasty.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I did my own rattle can job, i have a small spare room in my apartment, so that was my paint booth. masked off the entire room. Hung up my plastics and painted away with a fan in the window acting as my exhaust for the fumes. after an hour or so. I closed the window, turn up the thermostat to 80 degrees and let it cure. meanwhile all my other windows in the apartment were open.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
I painted mine, cost me $30, got the krylon satin black for 5 bucks a can on sale. When I do it again this year I'm going to go all out and splurge on a satin clear coat as well.

Reactions: tackyfire180
1 - 13 of 13 Posts