Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have the bike completely starkers for a long overdue clean of her naughty bits considering I'm unemployed (Hurrah!) and have too much time on my hands in between episodes of Prison Break and Wentworth Miller screen licking. I noticed she's a bit of a dirty whore with dirt in places that probably need to be censored if I post them up.

Anyway. Having her plastic-less got me thinking about painting the frame black like I've always wanted. I have no idea why they didn't come like that stock but that might be a discussion I'll have with myself some other day. Okay. So I'm cheap and not very mechanical so taking everything off (Engine, Forks, Wheels etc.) and sending it off to someone else to inhale paint fumes is out of the question. I'll never get her back together and that would be bad mmm kay.

Do I just use a rattle can? I've noticed people over at an un-named forum have used Krylon semi gloss black with pretty results. I want the pretty, people. I'm not sure that particular brand is available in Australia. Actually, I'd put money on it. So gimme suggestions.

Oh! I'll also need to know how to do it. Do you sweep your wrist? Do you squirt and keep on squirting? Do I put it my mouth and spit on the bike? Details! How do I tape off the areas I don't need painting? How do I get in behind the forks? Do I do the swingarm and subframe? Will the paint need re-doing in the future? How do I sand it? What sandpaper do I use? Omg. I'm giving myself a panic attack with all these questions.

I probably wont be doing this anytime soon unless you guys plant your confidence seed in me. Hoo hoo, the innuendo. Ahem. Anyway, hopefully I can collect some info for another day and get it done. All suggestions are appreciated.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Straight-up, I wouldn't be doing a cheapy paint job on a machine that looks that nice... :dowhat

Not blowing smoke here, but it would be like touching up the mona lisa with a Nikko Pen...

·
Registered
964 Posts
I definatly would not paint it with rattle cans, it will chip easily, and if you spill a little fuel on it it would be bad.. there is really only one choice you have if you want it done right.. and that is take it all apart in a bazillion pieces and get it powder coated... :D.. although you could go with a good urethane base coat/clear coat and get good results from that as well, but could be scratched fairly easy (just like the paint on your car)

·
Registered
617 Posts
Quarkz,listen to us,don't destroy your bike with some cheap looking spray can paint job. When you can afford it,have the frame and swingarm power coated. It looks awesome and will last a long time and you will be so much happier!:thumbup :thumbup

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay. I hear you guys. I'll step back from the rattle can.

I might think about getting it powder coated. Anyone have any idea how much it would cost for the whole frame/subframe/swingarm? Whats the price difference if you don't sand it as opposed to sanding it yourself? I'd need power equipment for that sort thing eh? Oh noes, me with power tools.

Anyways, I'll have a think about it. I'd really like to get it done though because it would look HAWT. I just don't trust myself to pull every single piece of everything off the bike. Is it all that hard or what? Anyhoo, she's back together after her wash and looking sparkly. The bottom of my fairings are rooted. Scratched to hell for some reason I can't explain. There are scratches at least 2-3mm deep at some places. It pee-oed me off I tells ya. Someone has opened their door on her and scratched the ZX6R sticker pretty bad and there are door created scratches on the forks too. Woe.

Now it's time for new tires and that service she's 4000km overdue for...

Thanks for all your input peoples!

Obligatory clean picture:

·
Registered
964 Posts
I would save your hands and elbow grease and not sand it.. its much easier to use Paint stripper.. hell "even easy off" oven cleaner works great.. also getting it Bead blasted works very well too.. (not sand blasted)...

·
Registered
894 Posts
No doubt a black frame on your machine would look awesome!

Just look at Ninjarider's RR. :hail

I am catching up with my cousin who runs a MC panel shop down here and i might just ask him fr some indicative ball-park prices for you...

·
Registered
56 Posts
hey mate dont powder coat a lot of people dont realise that powder coating is pourous it lets in moisture unlike paint which seals, trust me your frame will go chalky from the inside out and you wont see it until powder coating drops of in big sheets ,ive gone through this with my mustangs over the years the only way is two pak paint ,the cheapest way is to go and see your local TAFE colledge that has training for panelbeaters and painters ,donate your frame etc for them to train on ,you could get this for free NO MONEY!! ive done this before trust me the job they do is great unlike older painters apprentices still love painting and give there best ,dont touch the spray cans here in the land of oz the sun kills enamel ,a good note if your painting your frame black add some metalic chips that way any chips,scratches etc in the future dont stand out ,good luck man ,sorry to hear your out of a job

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Powder coating is durable. I've got a trailer here that I powder coated at work. It's been sitting out in the weather for 6 years and you'd never know. All the machines we built and powdercoated were exposed to water every day.

I don't know what powders you used on the Mustangs. :dunno Maybe the prep wasn't right and moisture got in under the coating, not in through the surface?

·
Registered
964 Posts
BMW, and volvo uses powder coat's to clear there cars... I have never heard of powder coating letting moisture in.. it would kinda be pointless if it did that..:confused

1 - 12 of 12 Posts