Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night when I got home from my ride i noticed my bike had gotten very hot. like 238 hot, and i noticed the fan wasn't on. I flushed the system today and changed everything to see if that helps, but no go. I'm understanding the fan is supposed to turn on at 214 and it does not turn on. I did the test for the fan, it still works, and the fuse is good, as well as the ground. We are not sure about the tests to the relay box, we aren't sure if the ohms is set to 1 like its supposed to be, one test was good, but the second one for the relay box was not good. Would the relay box be causing the fan not to turn on? or could this be a different problem? And can only certain parts of the relay box be bad? as in my headlights and turn signals and everything else are still working.

·
Premium Member
5,088 Posts
The thermo switch the plugs into the radiator is most likely bad. Id expound on that a bit more but I'm sure riverszzr will be on here shortly to give an extremely long winded explanation and tell my why I'm wrong so I'll just leave it at that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mine is an 06' zx6r so a zx636C1, which has a cooling fan relay. The cooling fan thermo switch is for the zx636 B1/B2 models, which i believe is the 05' version. Correct me if i'm wrong though. So in this case u would say its my cooling fan relay?

·
Premium Member
5,088 Posts
mine is an 06' zx6r so a zx636C1, which has a cooling fan relay. The cooling fan thermo switch is for the zx636 B1/B2 models, which i believe is the 05' version. Correct me if i'm wrong though. So in this case u would say its my cooling fan relay?
Nah the B1/B2 are 03-04, C1/C6 are 05-06.

Ok, I actually pulled up the manual and took a look at the wiring diagram. You're right, it's different than the B models (I have one, so I default to thinking about that bike when giving advice on models I haven't worked on). It would appear that the fan is controlled by the ECU via a relay; so more than likely either the Water Temp sensor is bad or the relay is bad. You can test the relay by putting power through it (In on W out on Bk/Bl) and seeing if the fan turns on then; if not than my money would be on the water temp sensor at that point. But that relay is stand alone, any of the other relays should not affect the fan relay, but I'm guessing the whole box would have to be replaced if its bad, but relays are usually more reliable than sensors since all they do are open and close.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok we tested it from the blk/bl wires, the fan does turn on. And as you were saying with the relay box, it is split into 3 parts, but you do have to replace the whole thing if one given part is bad. I did flush the system yesterday, but didn't know anything about that sensor, so I never checked it. Like I was saying, we think the test on the relay was bad, so I guess i'm going to start with replacing it. I'll let you guys know how it goes, thanks for your time

·
Registered
554 Posts
The thermo switch the plugs into the radiator is most likely bad. Id expound on that a bit more but I'm sure riverszzr will be on here shortly to give an extremely long winded explanation and tell my why I'm wrong so I'll just leave it at that.
i always expect that when i give someone thechnical advice in a thread, if he doesnt correct you, hell say the same thing you said, but in an unnessasry long dragd out version

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.