Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i was installing my new sprocket and i was torquing the nuts, unfortunately the torque wrench i was using was not working (yes the torque was set right on it) so anyways i overtightened 2 nuts to the point where they just keep spinning,(but there still on there pretty good ) well all the nuts are to tight but only 2 of them wont complete tighten up now, if that makes sense. looking back i dont know what i was thinking when i was wrenching on them :O but anyways my question is will this mess anything up if i leave it as is?, are the nuts stripped? or would it be the studs coming out of the hub that are stripped? and if it is the studs are stripped are they easy to replace?
i will be installing a new chain in the next day or two so i would like to fix the nut problem then too, any info will be greatly appreciated
thanks!

·
Registered
493 Posts
You need to take the sprocket back off and check what damage you have done, then buy the new parts accordingly. Don't ride it until you have it fixed. you have probably stripped the threads on the nuts, they are designed to be the weakest part.....

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
DEFINITELY don't ride the bike until you take the sprocket back off and check what damage has been done!!! You probably stripped the studs, not the nuts...not sure what that's going to cost, but you definitely need to fix it!

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
You must have hit that sumbitch with your strong arm! Good god, I couldn't imaging getting those sprocket nuts on tight enough to strip something. Good luck, but I'm guessing there are some stripped threads as the others are suggesting.

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
ok so i was installing my new sprocket and i was torquing the nuts, unfortunately the torque wrench i was using was not working (yes the torque was set right on it) so anyways i overtightened 2 nuts to the point where they just keep spinning,(but there still on there pretty good ) well all the nuts are to tight but only 2 of them wont complete tighten up now, if that makes sense. looking back i dont know what i was thinking when i was wrenching on them :O but anyways my question is will this mess anything up if i leave it as is?, are the nuts stripped? or would it be the studs coming out of the hub that are stripped? and if it is the studs are stripped are they easy to replace?
i will be installing a new chain in the next day or two so i would like to fix the nut problem then too, any info will be greatly appreciated
thanks!
You need to take it back apart to see if it is the nut or the stud that is stripped. Either way it should be an easy fix. I'm not sure what year model your bike is, but on my 2009 for example, the stud is part number 92004-0028 and the nut is part number 92210-0276 (2009 Kawasaki NINJA ZX-6R (ZX600R9F) Rear Wheel/Chain | CyclePartsNation).

Oh, and get a new torque wrench! :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
right on i figured as much, i think the suds are probably stripped, iv read a few posts where ppl stripped one or two they would run it anyway and some ppl just put 2 nuts on, but im just gonna get some more studs and nuts and fix it right. when looking for damage on the sprocket i guess ill be looking for cracks and any thing out of the normal?
thanks for the help

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah that would of been terrible, I had a better torque wrench for that one.
Speaking of front sprocket I read a lot of ppl with the 07-08 bikes had problems getting it off mine came off no problem took me about 2 min, but now im at kinda a stand still until I get the parts for the back sprocket , sucks haha

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can back the nut off no problem, and I can tighten it down but it will only tighten so much before it just starts spinning, has anyone taking the studs out of the hub? My wheel is still on so I didn't even really look at it yet and i have to wait for the parts too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts