Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings fellow motorcyclists!

I'm looking forward to buy brand new 2019 ZX6R w/ ABS and doing my research on possible prices. Haven't contacted any dealers yet.

Aiming to find something for $10,000 or less. Is it reasonable OTD price for last year leftovers? Or it could be cheaper?

What are your experience?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I bought my 2013 zx6r in 2014 and I had a ninja 300 I traded in and got $3000 for it and came out of pocket about 6500

This was for a 2013 zx6r ABS

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,070 Posts
What you are willing to pay for a motorcycle should not be based on what others have or are willing to. A good rule of thumb is if you can get out the door with all fees paid for less than the MSRP, you've made a fair deal. There's a limit below that (somewhere) that the dealer can't go below. Odd as it sounds that 'floor' is far lower at a big dealer, than a small mom and pop place. When dealers can buy in volume, they get bigger discounts that apply to all the units they buy at once. Quite literally, thousands off. The bigger the slug of merchandise the dealer can purchase all at once, the less they pay per unit. This may be spread over bikes, generators, water craft, side by sides.... if you see a lot of inventory from the same mfg, they paid less per unit than where you see little or none.

I'd think that right now, before the stay at home orders are lifted you would have a lot more leverage than afterwards. Sales are going to be very slow across the board for a few months; I wouldn't be surprised to see markdowns happen when the industry cannot sustain itself any longer on good intentions.

Same thing happened in the late 80's.... you could find 5 year old brand new bikes in warehouses. There got to be a point where they didn't go down in price any further. Figure that point as about 20% off the retail price. Toss back in tax title, and license.... and you're sitting around 90% of MSRP.

·
Registered
3 Posts
What you are willing to pay for a motorcycle should not be based on what others have or are willing to. A good rule of thumb is if you can get out the door with all fees paid for less than the MSRP, you've made a fair deal. There's a limit below that (somewhere) that the dealer can't go below. Odd as it sounds that 'floor' is far lower at a big dealer, than a small mom and pop place. When dealers can buy in volume, they get bigger discounts that apply to all the units they buy at once. Quite literally, thousands off. The bigger the slug of merchandise the dealer can purchase all at once, the less they pay per unit. This may be spread over bikes, generators, water craft, side by sides.... if you see a lot of inventory from the same mfg, they paid less per unit than where you see little or none.

I'd think that right now, before the stay at home orders are lifted you would have a lot more leverage than afterwards. Sales are going to be very slow across the board for a few months; I wouldn't be surprised to see markdowns happen when the industry cannot sustain itself any longer on good intentions.

Same thing happened in the late 80's.... you could find 5 year old brand new bikes in warehouses. There got to be a point where they didn't go down in price any further. Figure that point as about 20% off the retail price. Toss back in tax title, and license.... and you're sitting around 90% of MSRP.
Saying the sales are slow right now because of COVID19 is not true at all. If you think about it, people are locked in the house without anything to do. Getting a motorcycle or dirt bike or whatever, gets you something to do outside. I only came across that thought because I bought a new bike a couple weeks ago and was trying to talk the dealer down on price as much as I could and was using the "your sales are probably very low right now" and the salesman was like actually no, they've increased quite a bit because of this and told me why.

·
Registered
13,070 Posts
I would have to say the uncertainty many people have with their livelihoods is likely to outweigh their decision to buy something which many would consider a frivolous purchase.

Durable goods, are doing great right now. Basic food stuffs, garden plants, long shelf life foods.... not so much , brand new cars. There are ships that cannot dock full of brand new '20 models that won't fit on the pier because no one is buying what is already here. Cars have to outsell bikes by well north of 100:1. I just don't see there being much demand for new bikes compared to a year ago at the same time.

Whether a salesman at a dealership is going to admit that..... another story entirely.

./0.02

·
Registered
480 Posts
Interesting situation, I think you are both right to a degree. Early on folks thought this would be short duration and while stuck at home with lots of time then maybe bought a bike. With the really nice weather we've had saw a lot of motorcycles out. Recently not as many seems like. not sure if folks are working more or staying home more. Not so many places to ride to. For a certain group there are no bars to go to :) just a friendly poke. As this drags on and things are starting to open up a little bit I'm thinking that lots of folks are having to deal with the reality of an extended "vacation at home" and disposable income is down. I've been doing some online looking and contemplating trading for a new bike but not yet. When I look on Cycle Trader there are some descent prices around but they are hard to judge. I'm thinking of taking an hour ride tomorrow or the next day to go look at a bike and see how serious they are about dealing.

As a side note my situation is a bit different. Almost 2 years ago I traded my beautiful '14 ZX6R on a used BMW F800GT. It's a great bike but the engine has NO soul and the sound is best described as a tin can full of pennies. No ZX6R in handling but reasonable light and transitions side to side almost as well and has good brakes. Engine's one redeeming characteristic is it can get great fuel economy. It a really nice long trip bike, load up the side cases and put a big duffle bag on the rear seat and go. Last year I made two long trips, first up to Iowa, then across to SD and Nebraska and home via Kansas. Second trip was out thru Nebraska and Wyoming to Idaho then up to Montana and back via ND and home thru SD, Nebraska and Missouri. LOL for those who look at the the Going to the Sun road in Glacier National Park as a really fun ride - good luck. I think I could have rides a bicycle up faster than traffic was going! Tent camped mostly. Bike now has 24,000 miles on it - I added 20,000 in about a year and a half. So I'm thinking about 50,000 miles will be a good place to trade for a new bike. Have been looking at the Tracer GT, light and great engine with soul and character. A bit more rowdy than BMW and it has cruse control and heated grips. Biggest concern about the Tracer GT is the high speed stability. Mostly read good stuff about the Tracer GT and seems to have fixed the stability issues but read enough to wonder about a full loaded bike and how will it handle. Raising the front for in the triple clamps and adding preload to the rear seem to resolve any issue that may be left. BMW handles well loaded and Ive not had any trouble getting down to small chicken strips on unfamiliar roads. I can't wait to get back to Idaho and ride 93 again as well as some of the other roads. Yup they are nice on a summer trip. Left in late August - in the rain but was warm, saw temperature up to 97 in Montana, left Minot ND on my way home, 52F and raining! My summer gloves are not waterproof or warm nor the backup summer gloves. Ran heated grips and shivered. By the time I got to Mitchel SD the rain stopped and it was a balmy 65F. I've thought about the Ninja 1000SX or whatever letters they added to the name. to many of them showing up and no real deals that I've seen. So I'm on the hunt and if can find a great deal on a Tracer GT will probably have it or will wait another year or two then trade. When I bought the BMW (used) I also bought a 3 year service package with unlimited mileage. So far have had the 6, 12, 18 and 24 thousand mile service done and at the current rate will have the 30 and 36 this year. Currently thinking about a June trip to New Mexico or Wyoming or both. In August September hope to ride to San Jose CA. Dang I miss my ZX6R, it was such a fun bike and always ready to play. BMW is easier to ride but just not as fun on the short trips. BMW has lots of special tools and stuff while the Yamaha I can do all the work myself. For those wondering how I can take long trips, I'm retired.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Greetings fellow motorcyclists!

I'm looking forward to buy brand new 2019 ZX6R w/ ABS and doing my research on possible prices. Haven't contacted any dealers yet.

Aiming to find something for $10,000 or less. Is it reasonable OTD price for last year leftovers? Or it could be cheaper?

What are your experience?
Gyper, I just submitted this post about 3 months ago to another person on the forum.....

I would HIGHLY recommend looking for your 2020 (or 2019 in your case) at places that sell mainly off road types, like quads, 4 wheel drive, waver runners, and similar. I posted last June after I bought my 2019 ZX (non-ABS, I like the feel better).

It was listed at $9,999 but, I was able to snag it for $8,100. I looked at several Kawi Dealerships including the one I bought my last 3 bikes at and NO ONE could match it.

Typically those outdoor sports stores have to sell a few of them in order to sell their other products and do so at or below cost just to do that since they do not make the money on the sport bikes because their Top Sellers are all those off road vehicles.

Trust me, DO YOUR RESEARCH, call around go talk to them, etc.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey guys!

So, today I got my 2019 ZX-6R ABS (Grey/Blue) for $10k OTD price.

Strange thing that OTD price for 2019 ZX-6R ABS (Black) was $1k lower. But I really love the look of grey/blue so I took it :)

·
Registered
480 Posts
Congratulations!!!! It's a great bike you will have lots of fun with it.

Until you post some pics I don't believe you :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys!

So, today I got my 2019 ZX-6R ABS (Grey/Blue) for $10k OTD price.

Strange thing that OTD price for 2019 ZX-6R ABS (Black) was $1k lower. But I really love the look of grey/blue so I took it :)
First off congrats on the bike! Love my 2019 zx6r!
I know this does not effect you in the least bit anymore but for anyone else’s information that may come across it, the reason the black on was $1k cheaper is because it was non-abs model, they only make the black ones in Non-abs, gray/blue and krt editions are only ABS models( no non-abs available), trust me I tried I also liked the gray one but wanted non-abs. For some reason that damn abs light kept coming on when I had my old bike, only when the front tire was off the ground though, weird🤣🙈

1 - 15 of 15 Posts