Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got my bike back from the dealer, I had the valve cover gaskets replaced via the "recall" on the 07's faulty shitter ones....

I noticed they filled the oil up waaaaay high, to the brim to be exact and I'm wondering what everyones opinion is on this....... do you think it hurts the bike, should I extract the excess?

thanks in advance for the responses ;)

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
i would definitely remove oil until its back down to the normal level, excess oil can hurt the engine. if the dealer made a mistake like that then i wonder what kind of other mistakes they have made.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I'd drain it out and do an oil change, start fresh. I've heard of cars having issues because of people adding too much oil, so I'd assume the same things would happen to a bike. Well, actually, I would take it back to the dealer and tell them how big of idiots they are and make them fix their mistake, why should you have to pay for an oil change that they fucked up?

·
Administrator
8,182 Posts
Ehh... I wouldn't let them touch my bike anymore than they already have. Kinda like sending your steak back when they've already scorched the first one. You never know what they'll marinade the second one with. A bike is way more valuable than a steak. Take it somewhere else or remedy it yourself. I wouldn't take my bike back to someone who screwed it up the first time. If its warranty work (dont get me started on that gimmick) then they most likely give even less of a shit about the quality of work they're providing so long as it gets you a few miles down the road before all the bolts fall out. Then its not their problem (and yes, they will argue that its not their problem).

Recently, a guy I've been dating suggested that I take my bike to someone to have the valve clearance adjusted (he hasn't known me very long so he had no idea the pandoras box he was opening). After an hour of debate, I compromised. I told him that I would agree under two conditions: 1. that the guy sit down and answer some questions for me on his philosophy toward mechanics, and 2. that he let me oversee and learn the process. Of course this is a ridiculous suggestion but my reason being that there are two types of mechanics out there: the ones who share in the love and respect for the machine that the owner does and who regards your bike as if it is his own; and the ones who are out to make a buck and have no investment and/or respect for it other than as a means to an end. The latter of which will most likely halfass all their efforts and mess up your bike. It is my firm belief that you are more likely to find them at a dealer than self-employed in their own business because a lot of these guys are just some jo-schmo with no reputation to defend.

Anyway, I'm done now. I will step off the soap-box now.

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
I would drain the oil and fill it your self, then you know its right..

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Dont ride bike.... drain oil, put fresh in to half way,the dealer sounds a nob, u never fill it to the brim everyone knows that.....:coocoo

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
I thought we already decided that this particular dealership was a big steaming bucket of douche?

putting too much oil in an engine can (depending on how much oil) raise the level of the static oil that just sits in the pan waiting to be pumped to the point where rotating assemblies are now spinning in it and splashing around. if the oil reaches the crank shaft, it'll mix a bunch of bubbles into it and cause it to froth up, like foam on top of a beer. Picture pouring a beer really shittily so that there's only a thin layer of actual brew on the bottom of the glass, and a shit load of foam. Now drink that beer with a straw; its not too long before you run out of beer and start sucking air. In this case, your engine is now blowing air bubbles through your oil passages, which means that parts that need oil to stay alive aren't getting any, and before too long they give up. I've seen it happen: "I don't know why, I put six quarts of oil in it. My truck took six quarts, so I figured all engines did." "sir, this is a saturn, it takes four quarts." then the whole discussion about how more is not always better.

do not ride the bike until you have drained the extra oil. Go back down to the shop and hunt down the service manager, give him an earful, and let him know that because of their attitude and disregard for your vehicle, investment, time, and loyalty, you will no longer be doing business with them (unless they give you a brand new zx10 for free...it doesn't hurt to ask!). explain to them why, so that he knows what went wrong, and do it in a cool manner. don't go in there guns a blazin', but get your point across. Tell him that you were upset when they tried to charge you 150 bucks for something that didn't need to be done just because they didn't want to have to do warranty work, and that they fucked up that work to a point that did cost them money in extra materials, but that it could end up costing you a whole lot more money and possibly even your life when your motor seizes mid corner and you get hit by a semi truck; and because of this you are no longer able to trust them with your machine.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Surprisingly... uhm... no comment.

What point are you trying to make here? :)
just the way you turned the poor guys comment into an hour long debate which no doubt left him mentally scarred for life:ranton

Anyway, you have to be nice to me. i am trying to sort you out a bike for a trackday when you are in england next year:nana:

·
Administrator
8,182 Posts
Lol No worries, but I don't see how any of it would have necessarily left anyone scarred. Unless you're talking about anyone who subjected themselves to my long ass response to this guy's question. :)

If you're referring to the debate with the guy who suggested I take my bike to a mechanic. It was more like an assertion than a suggestion, hence the ensuing debate. He proclaimed that because HE wasn't comfortable digging around on the 'internals' of a motorcycle that I shouldn't be either, lest I "really fuck something up." The debate was merely my testament to the fact that I do have SOME mechanical proficiency and didn't see the point in paying someone to do something that I could do myself, much less someone I don't know or trust.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts