Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ready to purchase new tires before the season starts.. Can anyone tell me from experience which tire I should go with it's a toss up between the pilot power or the pilot power 2ct. Are the 2ct really worth the extra $ I ride street only these tires will not be used on the track..Any suggestions?

·
butiwasgoingtotashistatio ntopickupsumpowerconvrtr
2,762 Posts
do u wear a tire out in the middle before the sides usually?

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
Depends if you do a lot of straight line riding. I rode on PP's for 3 years and they are GREAT. I would marry these tyres. Last new set I decided to go with the 2CT's. They've got about 3000km on them now but unfortunately I got the recall tyre so the front has gone flat 3 times on me now. It's a little hard to determine tyre wear when they're always losing pressure. The grip and performance are much the same as the PP's. I can't tell the difference personally and the 2CT's have had a few good runs. I can't comment on wear however.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If the pp's are on the same level as the 2ct performance wise I'm just going to go with the regular pilot powers.. I think they both have a harder compund in the center so the tire is less likely to square off. Like I said I'm not at the track but i do enjoy laying into some turns

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Just my $.02 here but I would never buy another michelin anything. Here's why;

On a '67 Ford that I had the entire front-end rebuilt (new bushings, alignment, steering box, brakes, EVERYTHING from a very good mechanic.) One of the brand new michelin's I had put on at the time of rebuilt front end blew while I was going down the interstate in the middle of rush hour. Talk about an "Oh SH*T" moment!

Then when I bought my '77 KZ650C1 the PO had a fairly new michelin on back. A month afterwards I'm getting on an on ramp & the tire suddenly deflated in the middle of the corner.

Both times I took the tires to the same shop I always used & they couldn't find anything wrong with them what so ever. On a side note I've worked in two different tire shops & actually have experience with looking into tire failures so I knew they weren't bluffing me once the tires were dismounted.

Personally I've ran Dunlops on everything of mine that has two wheels since & am very satisfied. I used to run qualifiers on my 636 before I recently moved & they were awesome. Since the move I've switched to 616's 'cause there's a lot of dirt roads around here I use (need something more "all around") & they have just a hair less "stick" to 'em than a warm qualifier on good pavement. Like I said this is just my opinion, hope it helps.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got me thinking.. Pirrelli Diablo corsa are sounding pretty good now.. So much hype with these Michelins

·
Registered
964 Posts
Cannot go wrong with the Pilot powers.. you will not run out of grip with them on the street, that is unless you come in contact with dirt and oil...They heat up fairly quick and seem to get great milage out of them.. im on about 6000+ miles on my current set, still have decent tread left on them too..

·
Registered
590 Posts
love the 2ct's best tire i have used for everything. In the rain, dry, full lean, absolutely great

·
Registered
97 Posts
used the 2ct for the first time yesterday.... when for s run to scrub them in, and at the risk of sounding like a wanker.... I was scratching in no time, very impressed, and this coming from a guy who was a big fan of brigestone....

·
Registered
51 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Pilot Powers are overkill for the street, I find they take a fair while to warm up, give poor feedback in the wet/damp conditions but wear is good. On my last bike I had 014's first which were good but wore front and rear out in 2500miles followed by Avon Storms, the Storms were the best of the three as they warmed up quickest, gave more feedback in dry and wet than the others and their wear rate was excellent. If you're not doing track time street tyres are the best bet. I'll be going back to Avon Storms when I've worn out these PPs.

·
Registered
97 Posts
It's funny to hear 'bout the slow warm up.... the distributor to NSW for michelin is "Wayne Gardner Enterprises" which one of my closest mates work for.. (rep for northern NSW and Southern QLD)... he was telling me this morning that the quick warm up was one of there strongest points, also the consistant turn in due to the profile and the ultimate side grip due to the 25% softer compound edges.... but what would he know.... Hey, I,m not selling em, just sharing what I can!!

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
im running 2cts and can not tell the difference to the norm pp and i ride to work 6 days a week and take the twisties home 3 days a week unless its raining. Just depends on if you ride every day or like the twisties? what are you running now and are you happy with them?

·
Registered
900 Posts
Don't forget its probably a lot higher ambient temperature in Aus than it is here in Wales, so its going to take longer to warm the tyres.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I have the Pilot Powers and love em.....

·
Registered
40 Posts
Remember that the 2ct's are not harder in the middle. They are the same compound as the regular PP's. The 2cts are just softer on the sides so if you do a lot of commuting, the center will wear the same no matter what set you buy. Like others have said, a little overkill, I use regular PPs at the track and have no issues going to full lean with them. I ride in intermediate, anything more and I would want to use race tires...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts