Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the temps bumping near 60F, and a break in the rain it was a no brainer to get the bikeout and shake off some cobwebs.

My only issue with getting the late start (1 pm on a Saturday) was that there were a lot of other people out and about.

On top of that, there were many hunting groups on the back roads I frequent. Everywhere that the dog hunters stop to try and intercept anything running away from their dogs, they drive off road and then leave all sorts of mud on the pavement when they pick up stakes and move to their next spot. There's usually 6-10 trucks strung out along a half mile or more so there is an extended area with questionable traction....

I altered from my typical routes, and ran a reverse on some of the more recently discovered 'good' roads. Starting slightly North of Doswell along hwy 301, I went East on Frog Level Rd., to west river road, until I hit the Tappahannock-Richmond turnpike @ Aylett, then went East on that one traffic light (2 miles?) until I could go North on Newtown Rd...... took that North until I could veer left onto Mattaponi trail rd, and continue back to my home locale.

The was a loop of about 60 miles, and I ran that in about an hour. Far enough to warm everything up to operating temp, and ensure things circulated as they should. Can't say the same for my knees, or for many of my tendons.... the meds I am on are starting to take a toll.

All in all, it was a fix I really needed to have. Tried to keep from annoying anyone who may know me or where I live, and stayed reasonably close to the posted limits when I wasn't in familiar territory. It was nice to see a few bikes out and about, with a more diverse group of bikes. Memorial Day to Labor Day, it's easily 90% HD in these parts.

·
Registered
13,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My mid temperature gear. Heaviest jacket (from 2001), newest lined riding pants (3 months) HJC RPHA11 helmet with anti fog insert (~ 6 months), electrically heated Sedici gauntlets (6 years?), steel toed flight deck boots (third set, been using this style for 30+ years).

This is with the Woodcraft risers, with 12" bars, and the 'wild ass' inflatable seat cushion underneath me.

·
Registered
8,439 Posts
Temps here got up to a whopping 21* once the sun finally burned through the fog and cloud cover around 2pm, only to set shortly after 4:30pm.......whoofuckinghoo 2 1/2 hrs of sunshine

Today looks like it'll be slightly better as I can almost see the sun already, maybe by noon the sun will be out, but currently it is 17*, so no riding here

New years day was the i-cycle derby, looks like only 14 people showed up to ride this year (only 50 miles on local murderapolis roads) most were on scooters last year and I assume more of the same this year?!? it is some super short event where whomever can average the closest to the posted speed limits wins, red lights/stop signs/traffic and snowy roads and all.....

But nearly every winter I manage to get out for a January ride when the temps will get close to 40*, but it is always a cold ride, but sometimes the only therapy one really needs is "throttle therapy" (some seat time and enjoyment with ones motorcycle always does wonders for my attitude and how good I feel!)

Attachments

·
Registered
13,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lloyd I can generally get out and ride more than once a month, all year. My wife mentions a heated jacket every year, and then fails to make good on the offer.

I'd rather be cold and riding, than warm and wishing.

My chain has had better care this year than any time before that.... Too much time between rides when I'm working from home. I putter out to the garage, just for a change of scenery and end up fiddling with the bike or any number of side projects.

Sharpened the chains on my saws; there are three standing dead trees than need to come down, with varying degrees of risk with how/where they need to be dropped.

I'll start with the one in the middle of my night pasture--- that one is far enough off the fence lines that it can call in any direction with the only risk being it falling on me. 1-5% chance of that.

The second one is near the same fence the deer was trapped in, and could fall on that fence if things go completely wrong.... More desirable to have it fall alongside my driveway; even if it falls across and blocks my driveway, I should be able to cut it and drag it with my tractor to clear it. 30+% chance of it not going to plan. 10+% that it will result in fence repairs.

The most difficult one is behind me in the bike picture. About the only direction is want that one to fall, would be along the line of where the bike is in that photo. 180 degrees, it will hit my fence, or fence and gate. Another 90 degrees, it will hit fruit trees we've planted. 70+% chance that will go wrong..... Hopefully practice on the other two will improve my tree dropping skills.

·
Registered
8,439 Posts
good backcut, wedges and a good 3lb hammer to pound them in! and make good cuts!

even leaners can be made to drop the opposite direction of the lean with proper saw and wedge work.....

plus make sure the wind is light and blowing in a favorable direction for you! sucks cutting in gusty conditions even if the gusts are only 10mph, makes a big difference in how smooth things go (less so with dead wood and no leaves)

It sadly is more rare for me to be able to ride more than possibly 2 or 3 times from Nov to mid March than the norm.... So one has to take advnatage of those 2 or 3 days, even when it will only be a couple hour ride and as much or more time spent afterwards clenaing salt off the bike.....
often Oct and Apr suck and have only a few chances to ride in as well.......

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I am spoiled with the weather down here at the moment. But big ups to you boys getting out in those temps.

·
Registered
8,439 Posts
Bad weather will not be a hassle ever for enthusiast riders. As like me, I can't hold myself even in extreme weather.
lol

There is ahuge difference between 'bad weather" and down right unsafe to ride in conditions.......

Guaranteed you nor anyone else is coming to MN and riding everyday or even 1 out of 10 days from Dec through March

·
Registered
13,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Black ice is no joke. As is heavy fog, and torrential rain. Sleet isn't a lot of fun.

If the pavement is clear, and temps are stable (above or below freezing) riding is possible, and may even be enjoyable. Visibility is critical. Both yours as an operator, and the vision of others sharing the road with you.

When riding in seasons where most don't, it's critical to understand that you're more invisible than ever.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Here's some pics from a ride I organised today out to Lake Ferry in the Wairarapa. Not on the ZX6R sadly, but my lovely new Z900RS. Sorry to rub it in about the weather we're having but there was no chance of black ice, in fact it was over 23 degrees Celsius... ;)

Rendezvous point - Caltex Rimutaka...

The view from Lake Ferry Hotel...

My bike at Lake Ferry!

All the bikes at Lake Ferry...

Old man's bike...yeah right!

And outside The Village Cafe in Martinborough...

Awesome day out. And the Z900RS passed the 1,000km mark. 1st service tomorrow! :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
lol

There is ahuge difference between 'bad weather" and down right unsafe to ride in conditions.......

Guaranteed you nor anyone else is coming to MN and riding everyday or even 1 out of 10 days from Dec through March

You are absolutely right but it will still can't hold me :)
I will use proper gear before ride in down weather.

·
Registered
8,439 Posts
You are absolutely right but it will still can't hold me :)
I will use proper gear before ride in down weather.
Whatever............. So throwing your bike down the road and getting injured is okay with you- good to know, another fucktard idiot.....

We haven't had it snow here now in 16 days and the roads(except the main highways) still are ice covered and hard packed snow covered, I dare you to come ride your sportbike on these roads at anything more than crawling in 1st gear with your feet down

fucking idiots, always trying to brag how bad ass they are, just fucking retarded! You like everyone else would be driving in a cage or not driving at all!

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
We don't get snow here so I ride year-round (with the correct gear). But I do feel blessed that it's the middle of summer currently and I have four bikes to choose from.

Reactions: riverszzr

·
Registered
26 Posts
Whatever............. So throwing your bike down the road and getting injured is okay with you- good to know, another fucktard idiot.....

We haven't had it snow here now in 16 days and the roads(except the main highways) still are ice covered and hard packed snow covered, I dare you to come ride your sportbike on these roads at anything more than crawling in 1st gear with your feet down

fucking idiots, always trying to brag how bad ass they are, just fucking retarded! You like everyone else would be driving in a cage or not driving at all!

you bloody idiot coward, why are you here go to hell, biking isn't for you.

·
Registered
8,439 Posts
you bloody idiot coward, why are you here go to hell, biking isn't for you.
Wow, and I am the coward...... geezus buddy take a chill pill already and learn when to shut the fuck up already. Otherwise load up your motorcycle and bring it to MN and show me how you can ride in any weather!

·
Registered
8,439 Posts
Live shot of what the roads (many) locally look like and have looked like for the past couple of weeks

studded tires or knobbies is about you are going to ride on the road! and even those may be sketchy

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts