Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 558 Posts

·
Registered
17,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok Iv got a thread for my bike in the pictures part of the forum,
but this thread is for the Maintenance & the mods & all the trail & error that gos with it.

I plan to put some how tos in here, & I'll start with installing a master link.
Two different kinds, The traditional rivet & the new screw type.
Since I had to add two links to my chain, cant add just one, as you need an inner link
& an outer, with replacing the old master, that put me @ needing two master & one inner.
I happened to have em as my new chain came with 112 links,
At the time I had no plans to use the 42 tooth sprocket. else I could have saved myself some trouble.
Ok time for some pics, Here's the screw type..

Be sure to use the supplied grease liberally

This is why I call it a screw type link, The two little nuts screw onto the pins & seat the outer plate.

Grease all the O-rings.

Oops forgot the pic, but put the outer plate on , screw the nuts on & tight with an 8mm wrench, do so sequentially & carefully.
Keeping an eye on the O-rings & plates. You don't want to over tighten & squish the O-rings & bind up the link.

I like this link much better that the rivet type, The 8 mm wrench is much handyer than this thing

Ok before removing the little nuts check the gap in the plates & O-rings.

Also there is a mark on the pins to align the plate with

Now we cant leave the pins sticking out this far, This is my first master of this type, So I'm going by the supplied instructions.
Only there in Japanese, LOL there are pics & it appears you just snap em off like so.

Were not done yet, still got to grind the pins down & flatten the heads a bit.

Next the rivet link.

Reactions: Volumeheavy

·
Registered
4,929 Posts
Great write up OND. But I have to agree with Ryan man your bike is clean. Does your bike repel dirt or something?

·
Registered
17,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The rivet type link.

I installed this link & the inner link last night so no pics of that,
but I did snap a few of the riveting.

LOL first off this is my homemade riveting pin(as Iv broken a few over the years)
I had to improvise.

It fits like so into the tool

Done like so, But again be very careful not to over tighten & bind up the link.
Some links come with a spacer for this, these two did not.

Once your done both pins should be slightly flattened, & you want to check that the link/links are moving freely, No binding/kinking up.

I think were done.

·
Registered
17,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, No just I'm a clean freak,(OCD) & that rear wheel has been living in the house for the past two weeks.

Mark, As I was working on the chain, The Fed-Ex driver came by.
Dropped off this.

Reactions: 2k15

·
Registered
6,438 Posts
doctor ond .....that is the only and best gear you will ever need for polishing you shiny bits.....a tube lasts for ages ......mine ive been using for 2 years on my bike and im only half way through it ......dont need much on an application....mega stuff

·
Registered
6,438 Posts
slap some on now ond so it protects the wheel before going out on it .....and the only downside of autosol is that you want to polish up more bits of the bike .....lol

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
OND, you make me want to clean my bike! Good thing my wheels come off possibly today or at least this weekend need to put my new tires on. I am just a little leery leaving my bike sitting on the front fork stand

·
Registered
17,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys, Tomorrow Iv gotta adjust the APE(cam-chain adjuster) & do a bit more polishing.
Will try to remember to snap some pics.

·
Registered
17,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Today, 12/31/11, I adjusted the APE cam-chain adjuster.

Its a fairly simple procedure,
Remove the tank, once that's done look under the carbs, On the left is the unit.
First you will need a couple 16mm (on mine anyway) wrenches, Loosen the bottom(green arrow) locking nut about a half turn.

Now I could hear mine, So I knew it was time for an adjustment.
So at this point I cranked the bike, & sure enough there was the rattle.
Not loud, but more so when rived. Ok turn the top nut (red arrow) in till the rattle stops.
Shut off the bike,
Now with your 2nd wrench turn the locking nut back in to lock it in place, Not allowing the adjusting nut to turn.

Reinstall the fuel tank & fire it back up listening as it warms up.
Once warmed rev the motor & listen for a whine,
If you hear one its to tight, Back it out until you hear no whine or a rattle.
In that sweet spot is where you want it.
Now go for a ride.

·
Registered
17,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey ond any write ups coming about carbs. Ie tuning?????
Done one, last year, somewhere on this forum.
I could hunt it up & put it or a link in here.

I will be syncing them again in a few months, & that will be in here.

·
Registered
17,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
I gotta get a good sync tool.. The old fish tank tube ATF in works but not as good as I want it.

1 - 20 of 558 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.