1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Such a sweet video.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
every time I see these vids I can't imagine what is going through ther mind. Like no fear or you crash. insane

·
Registered
216 Posts
Everyone must watch Closer To The Edge.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
^^ what he said, freaking awesome film/documentary!

·
Registered
6,525 Posts
its like anything .....it looks great and scary when you watch it on dvd or the net
but until you see the speeds they do going past you ....with your own eyes standing within a couple of feet through sections of road that usually are 30mph .....its indescribable ....these guys have the biggest set of bollocks....over any motorcycling racer on the planet.....:)

·
Registered
6,525 Posts
what the hell are you on about 2 DEATHS PER RACE that bollocks !!!!!!

its a 2 week event
the first week is practice (set up really)
the second week is race week

5 races in total in the race week period .....

2 dont die every race .....that is ridiculous:coocoo
you are saying then 10 die every year .....not even 2 die every year

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
While I think this race looks pretty amazing...that stat alone makes it sound pretty stupid.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
what the hell are you on about 2 DEATHS PER RACE that bollocks !!!!!!

its a 2 week event
the first week is practice (set up really)
the second week is race week

5 races in total in the race week period .....

2 dont die every race .....that is ridiculous:coocoo
you are saying then 10 die every year .....not even 2 die every year
on average. not every race.

237(number of deaths) / 92(number of "events" or races) = 2.57608696

·
Registered
6,525 Posts
i think they had the century of the mountain course last year and the rest of the track a few years before
its been going a damm long time ......
my grandfather and father raced there ,a few mates have raced there
and now me and my brother are backing his son (my nephew) to race there in 2013
did have plans to go road racing myself but decided he is alot better than me so back him :)

·
Premium Member
8,182 Posts
on average. not every race.

237(number of deaths) / 92(number of "events" or races) = 2.57608696
Damn... talk about blowing something out of proportion. Not even a close to accurate depiction. Yet, sure... with that kind of logic it could be used as a method of exploiting the sport for shock value. It's an intense race indeed. One that should be respected and appreciated for the amount of skill and focus that it takes to compete in it. Not because a bunch of people have died doing it.

With that kind of perspective you are only inviting people to watch it for the death, not for the prestige, and to me that kinda undermines the whole value of it.

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
....skill and focus is absolutely right, the quote from Rossi at the start of the video really speaks to that....Rossi made that statement after he rode the course with one of the veterans (I'll try and find the vid). These guys are truly the best of the best, were talking real roads, real curves, real trees and bushes

IMHO it's the greatest test of skill, the toughest bike race on the planet

I caught the sidecar TT race once...fuckin insane, and much faster

·
Registered
17,962 Posts
Love the slow-mo stuff, awesome!
Id say that was from 2009,What do you say Mark?
I see Guy Marten is on the Hydrex HONDA & Cameron Donald is still on the TAZ/Relentless SUZUKI.

The racing's been going on since 1907 & on the mt course since 1910, (I think)
hell I could look it up, Iv got a freaking library of books on this.
anyway an average of 2 a year sounds about right. Sadly.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Damn... talk about blowing something out of proportion. Not even a close to accurate depiction. Yet, sure... with that kind of logic it could be used as a method of exploiting the sport for shock value. It's an intense race indeed. One that should be respected and appreciated for the amount of skill and focus that it takes to compete in it. Not because a bunch of people have died doing it.

With that kind of perspective you are only inviting people to watch it for the death, not for the prestige, and to me that kinda undermines the whole value of it.
How is "on average, 2 deaths a year" not an accurate depiction? if you know what the word AVERAGE means, then it's not too hard to decipher. get over the framing and appreciate the sport, I'm just sharing, not looking for criticism.

edit: and it's a fucking crazy race, obviously the most dangerous of all. How is that not an important reason as to why it's unique?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts