Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, just bought a 2001 zx6r 636j2 getting back into biking after a long break.. Kids.... In the sw of the UK ??.

·
Registered
13,287 Posts
Welcome. Old is relative. :)

We've got a number of folk 50+ who participate here.

UK representation is pretty solid; that's where the most activity with the b1h seems to happen.

:worthless

·
Registered
51 Posts
Welcome!! RJ is older, but I'm better looking. LOL

Lots of great info here, that even us "mature" guys can understand while getting back into riding. I had almost 10 years off before getting the ZX6r this past summer. I've done a few group rides on it, including one day of about 6-7 hours of seat time. It isn't a road bike, but still can go plenty of distance without too many aches.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I turned 58 on the odometer this year and still take the zed-x out to the track, so old is relative I guess. Merry Christmas, and welcome to the board :)

·
Registered
783 Posts
deleted dupe

·
Registered
312 Posts
Hi, just bought a 2001 zx6r 636j2 getting back into biking after a long break.. Kids.... In the sw of the UK ??.
Welcome. You can't be that old if you are just getting clear of kids, this is just time to find yourself again. I'm 51 myself, been riding since I was 17 and still ride both on and off road along with the occasional track day when I can swing it.

I turned 58 on the odometer this year and still take the zed-x out to the track, so old is relative I guess.
+1, you're only as old as the girl you feel. Or something like that...:BigGrin

When I raced MX there was a 70+ class and a fair number of guys racing in it. I hope to still be able to swing a leg over a dirt bike at 70, riding is something I will never give up voluntarily.

Mark

·
Registered
490 Posts
Welcome, I'm so old that when I go to the doctor they ask for my Medicare card! Nice part is I'm retired and can ride whenever I want. Traded my ZX6R on a BMW F800GT a year ago but hang out here a lot as the folks are much more fun than the ..... I really miss the ZX6R and even today, after the grandkids left, was looking at a used ZX6R. Hummmm maybe I can trade my Honda Metropolitan on a ZX6R hope the Mrs wouldn't notice.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks

Thanks, when i say old i mean i hit the big 50 in 2 weeks. looking forward to some nice conversations, meeting new pals and ride outs.
Thanks for the nice welcome

·
Registered
13,287 Posts
.... heck you're barely middle aged. :)

One thing I can tell you from hard won experience (to the tune of three broken ribs and a class A shoulder separation); your night vision has gone to shite since the last time you rode. If you are having trouble reading the menu in a dimly lit restaurant, that's because your eyes are not as sensitive as they were years ago.

I crashed a bike in light rain after dark in late October of 2005 as a direct result of this, and I was complaining to myself about how bad the head lights were, right up to when I stuffed it into a corner that was a button hook right that I had thought was a straightforward left. I hit the mud bank on the outside of that corner at about 40 MPH.

Bad reactions, based on bad visual input..... there were a number of contributing factors, and all of them were me.

the skills you have from earlier riding experience are all well and good -- 90% or more is directly applicable. You can easily compensate for the parts that are not, if you are aware that they exist. If not, they will eventually catch you out.

A refresher course may not be a bad idea, if I may suggest it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
.... heck you're barely middle aged. :)

One thing I can tell you from hard won experience (to the tune of three broken ribs and a class A shoulder separation); your night vision has gone to shite since the last time you rode. If you are having trouble reading the menu in a dimly lit restaurant, that's because your eyes are not as sensitive as they were years ago.

I crashed a bike in light rain after dark in late October of 2005 as a direct result of this, and I was complaining to myself about how bad the head lights were, right up to when I stuffed it into a corner that was a button hook right that I had thought was a straightforward left. I hit the mud bank on the outside of that corner at about 40 MPH.

Bad reactions, based on bad visual input..... there were a number of contributing factors, and all of them were me.

the skills you have from earlier riding experience are all well and good -- 90% or more is directly applicable. You can easily compensate for the parts that are not, if you are aware that they exist. If not, they will eventually catch you out.

A refresher course may not be a bad idea, if I may suggest it.
excellent advice, i am looking at refresher courses and i dont think i will be riding at night, just a weekend thing for now as i am out in my Tonner van all week

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Thanks, when i say old i mean i hit the big 50 in 2 weeks. looking forward to some nice conversations, meeting new pals and ride outs.
Thanks for the nice welcome
Bloody hell, you're still a wee lad.

We're glad to have you here. By and large, it's a high quality group here.

·
Registered
13,287 Posts
excellent advice, i am looking at refresher courses and i dont think i will be riding at night, just a weekend thing for now as i am out in my Tonner van all week
Depending on how long ago it was that you last rode, front brakes are either somewhat better, or freakishly, phenomenally better.

Learning to NOT stab the brakes and allowing time for full weight transfer to compress the front suspension and maximize front tire traction can be difficult. That's one of the failure points in the crash that led to broken bones..... Lack of training to account for modern equipment.

Over riding my vision, assuming I knew every curve on the road where I crashed, not riding within those limits, failing to plan an exit when it unraveled, panic braking skidding the front...

Since it was a one vehicle accident, and I was stone cold sober at the time..... Pretty difficult to point the finger anywhere else.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts