Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

Oil levels too high

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Ebster1085 
#1 ·
Hey all - I have an 07 zx6r that I just had some service done too,
got new tires, chain adjustment, and all fluids topped and cycled where needed.
While it was in I also had the valve cover gasket replaced as it was leaking a bit. I got it back two weeks ago, and am already noticing the oil is still leaking from the left side. I checked my oil levels and it's WAY over the top line... like the whole viewing glass is covered, I'm not sure how far up it goes...

Is there any reason at all the kawa dealer would overfill this?
Is there anything else I should be checking?
and finally, could this be causing the new leak that i'm seeing?

Thanks!

#2 ·
Are you holding the bike level when checking the oil level or is it leaned over on the side stand?

Too much oil can cause excessive pressure and result in a leak but that is quite some oversight if it is the case. Spray some degreaser over the leak then rinse with water and take it for a ride. If it still leaks then take it back to the dealer.

#3 ·
Yea bike is level, if it's on the kick I can't even see the oil in the window.

I will check the leak - gotta find where it's comin from first, i'm assuming it's the same cover as the oils in the same exact spot

#4 ·
Your two posts seem contradictory.

Oil level should be checked with the bike not running and after it has sat for at least 5 minutes after being shut off. The bike needs to be held level, not sitting on the kickstand.

If you are doing the above and the oil level is above the max line, then yes, the bike was overfilled and should have some oil drained.

As far as your valve cover gasket issue. If its still leaking and what you are seeing isnt just residual oil from the original leak, its possible the Kawi dealer either didnt swap in a new gasket OR they swapped in an old style gasket they had lying around which could result in the leak occurring again. I have heard of this happening before.

Bring the bike back and have them make good on this. If it is still leaking and it is overfilled, they should do the right thing and correct their shoddy work.

#6 ·
Are you sure this " new leak" is not just the airbox drain.
Oil level over the window usually equates to oil up the breather and in the air box.

Either way I would take it back and have them fix the mistake

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.