Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if this has been answered before on this forum but I have a question. I changed my oil on a 2013 recently and had refilled it to between the lines. I rode today, came home let it sit for a few minutes and went out to check it again because I'm paranoid about whether or not the level was correct and it is now filling up the entire sight glass with oil when I have it standing straight up. Is this normal or did I somehow add too much oil back in?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Was it standing up straight when you were adding the oil?

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Oil, like most liquids, expand when heated. The bike would have to significantly cool down to get an accurate measurement. At least a couple of hours.

I find the oil windows really inaccurate and have overfilled or under filled the first two times I changed oil. So now I fill it to between the lines, run the bike a few minutes, let it sit overnight on a stand and check it in the morning then fill appropriately. Hasn't failed me the last 2 times.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya it was on a stand when being filled. I'll take a look at it in the morning and then adjust as necessary I guess. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Ya it was on a stand when being filled. I'll take a look at it in the morning and then adjust as necessary I guess. Thanks for the help!
was it just on the back stand? That places the bike at an angle...no way would that provide a level reading. Standing the bike up seems to be the best option...although with a pitbull rear and matching tripple lift front the bike does sit damn even.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
was it just on the back stand? That places the bike at an angle...no way would that provide a level reading. Standing the bike up seems to be the best option...although with a pitbull rear and matching tripple lift front the bike does sit damn even.
I have checked mine on the rear stand and then off the rear stand, and it is at the same level in the sight glass either way. The rear stands usually don't lift the back end high enough make a difference with that measurement.

M

·
0 Posts
Yeah, always check the oil level on both wheels on a flat service off the kickstand straight up.

This is my oil change technique which causes me never to have too little or too much. It has NEVER failed me yet and I've done oil changed on my bike a lot already and most of my friends who ride come to me.

My 2014 636 holds 3.6 quarts with a new oil filter ( always change oil filter ). Now, some people like to fill the oil filter before putting it on but to me that's pretty much impossible to do without spilling any not to mention you will almost always get air in there that way not to mention it's just dumb IMO.

I put my oil filters on empty. I use OEM oil filters and I make sure I get 0004 which is Japan and not 0008 which is China. I then pour 3 quarts in, and I run the bike for 45-60 seconds. I do this so the oil filter can fill with oil so when I turn the bike off, wait a few minutes and check the oil level, the reading I am getting is with a full oil filter and not an empty one. I then pour in half of the last bottle, and my oil level is ALWAYS EXACTLY where it needs to be. A lot of people will pour in the 3.4-3.6 quarts, and call it a day but they don't realize their oil level actually drops a little as they're not compensating for the oil that's going to fill the filter. 3 quarts in, run the bike to fill the filter, cut it off, wait a minute, check the oil level ( if you want ) pour in the remaining required amount. I NEVER had an issue doing it this way and I never had to say oh shit I need to add more or oh shit I need to take some out.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I thought I heard that the engine could be damaged by overfilling?
Having less is always better than having more. When you change/refill your oil, put in less (3qts assuming filter is replaced) and add more after warming up the bike and checking the sight glass. Overfilling can and will damage.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts