Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so I was riding last nigh and when I stopped at the store I slipped when getting of my bike. I look down to see my shoe covered in oil. I think its coming from the stator cap and the gasket prolly needs to be replaced. I can't think of any other reason any info would help ?

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Check all bolts to see if its lose. Usually those gaskets don't usually fail unless after being reinstalled or a bolt coming lose. For it to just sit there and start leaking, I don't think happens often. You should be able to trace the oil back to where its leaking and take pictures for us.

·
Registered
14,633 Posts
OK so I was riding last nigh and when I stopped at the store I slipped when getting of my bike. I look down to see my shoe covered in oil. I think its coming from the stator cap and the gasket prolly needs to be replaced. I can't think of any other reason any info would help ?
Clean everything off really well, and figure out where the source is. Any chance you've changed the oil recently?

Left side, low on the bike... the front sprocket cover may have oily goop behind it, the oil filter may be loose, the combination water pump/oil cooler may be leaking, you could have a head gasket leaking.

What does your oil level look like? How much have you lost so far?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I lost a loT Of oil my shoe last nigh was drenched. You can see where it is leaking and my brother and the previous owner dropped it. That's where the set of scratches came from. The previous owner had some sort of yellow shit on the from stopping it from leaking what it is idk

Attachments

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
There's also a good chance that there is a tiny pin hole leak in the middle of that rash. Like RJ said, clean everything thoroughly and you'll be able to see where the leak is coming from. Don't forget to add more oil as well.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Even if its that small of a hole would it throw out that much oil when I'm riding?

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
It very well could. You have to remember that there's pressure inside of the engine when it's running. But you'll find where it's leaking from once you clean it.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Yea, clean everything and run it for a short bit to see where the oil is coming from. It's kind of weird that you have oil above where it appears to be leaking but I guess if it was spraying off your shoe, it's possible.

Maybe a few others can chime in on this but that seal and the oil do not look normal. That seal looks retarded, like it was something custom cut. And your oil looks a little watery but I guess that's hard to tell from a picture. It looks too clear and thin. Might have coolant in it from a head gasket going bad.

If the gasket is indeed your leak, I would just buy a new stator cover and get a new gasket. Take all that shit off and clean it thoroughly to make sure no debris or oil stays on the covers/bolts/or where the gasket goes to make sure that debris doesn't prevent a good seal and you continue leaking oil.

That bike certainly seems like it's been through a lot...there's more than one crash on that stator cover....

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know right that's why my brother gave it to me, but ima bring her back tto what she should be ☺

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Maybe a few others can chime in on this but that seal and the oil do not look normal. That seal looks retarded, like it was something custom cut.
that's not even an OEM gasket. That is Red RTV High Temp Silicon gasket maker out of a tube, lol. I guess it would do the trick, but I'd get an OEM gasket instead of that stuff.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
People so fucking cheap to buy a $8 gasket... how idiotic!

Definitely looks like you need a cover and get a new gasket for it.

Whomever did the previous work was a total hack, don't let them touch your bike ever again!

Reactions: RJ2112 and 2y4life

·
Registered
972 Posts
Buy a new stator cover and gasket. Spend the money, it's not much.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Will do thanks everyone. Cleaned it up and it is leaking from the stator between all that rash. Will get new gasket and cover today. I'll do it myself that way it won't get messed up.

·
Registered
14,633 Posts
Will do thanks everyone. Cleaned it up and it is leaking from the stator between all that rash. Will get new gasket and cover today. I'll do it myself that way it won't get messed up.
That's the right answer. Follow the torque pattern (do a star pattern as you snug the bolts up) and don't over do it.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Good deal, figured that's where the leak was. And don't forget to add more oil, lol! If you haven't already done so, download the service manual from the service manual section. Just follow it to a "T" and you'll be golden.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts