Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I slipped out this morning to run into town to buy oil and a new filter for the bike..... Walmart is still my store of choice; I normally pick up some Rotella or 10w-40 that meets my engine's specs.

This time, I bought the generic 100 % motorcycle specific synthetic..... ~$8.40/quart, plus my Fram filter. Should keep me good for a calendar year, no matter how much I ride it.

Knocked out the change while I was running the grill today. Still have a fresh half quart after starting the bike and filling the filter. Should cover any topping up I may need to do.

That's fresh oil, fresh tires, fresh forks and shock, fresh brake fluid, new chain and sprockets..... Should be good for the foreseeable future.:BigGrin Battery is less than 2 years old, too.....

I'd like to get to the valves and do another adjustment; that's going to have to wait for me to feel well enough to do it. When I do, it will be new plugs, refresh air filter, and correct the clearances on the valves. Probably Mid September before I have the time and health to do so.

Id like to say I care about the cosmetics enough to replace the damaged plastics..... TBH, it still looks good at 10', which is good enough for me.

Maybe after I've been through the radiation therapy, around November time frame I will think about what I want to do, there.:O

·
Registered
12,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many here avoid Fram filters..... I have been using them for decades. All recent Kawasaki motorcycles use the same filter. Frams version is the 6017A. $6.85? At Walmart.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I did oil changes on both bikes over the weekend too. Was a pleasant surprise when I went to the dealer for filters and they gave me two of the same filters ha, who would've thought a 10r and 6r would use the same exact filter!

I usually use whatever filter the auto store has on hand. I don't know what made me decide on going to the motorcycle dealer for filters this time around lol.

·
Registered
600 Posts
But when was the last time the swing arm, shock linkage, and triple trees were disassembled, cleaned and regreased?

·
Registered
12,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
But when was the last time the swing arm, shock linkage, and triple trees were disassembled, cleaned and regreased?
Swing arm, not in my ownership..... Linkage, about a month ago. When I had the forks out for the rebuild I checked for free play, or drag, notchiness.... Felt smooth and free moving.

I did check the wheel bearings, when the tires were changed.

·
Registered
12,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did oil changes on both bikes over the weekend too. Was a pleasant surprise when I went to the dealer for filters and they gave me two of the same filters ha, who would've thought a 10r and 6r would use the same exact filter!

I usually use whatever filter the auto store has on hand. I don't know what made me decide on going to the motorcycle dealer for filters this time around lol.
It gets really scary, when you realize the pump bypasses the filter the VAST majority of the time the engine is running. No way to avoid blowing the element out of it at high RPM....

·
Registered
600 Posts
Good thing you checked those...all too often those parts don't get any love for the life of their use on a street bike. Have disassembled many linkages and swingarms only to have dust, that used to be needle bearings at one time, fall out when taken apart...

·
Registered
12,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good thing you checked those...all too often those parts don't get any love for the life of their use on a street bike. Have disassembled many linkages and swingarms only to have dust, that used to be needle bearings at one time, fall out when taken apart...
Zirc fittings would make it simple to service each of these points.....I know it would add weight, and increase durability, which could impact sales.....

My grease gun hits all the fittings on my mower, and tractor at least twice a year.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I took a gaze at the shock linkage of the 6r while changing the engine oil and I immediately noticed how filthy this area is. Over the winter I am planning to go over the entire bike and do what you've mentioned.

Need to do the same on both bikes actually, I've got my work cut out for me lol.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Totally Awesome from Dollar General will do wonders at cleaning up the bulk of the crud that accumulates there. The stuff is awesome...I use it to clean just about anything I need to, from bike wash, to cleaning the siding of my house...you could even say...

it's awesome. Bam dum tissss

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm not a loyalist but pretty much use FRAM. no matter what brand you pick , just make sure it has the rubber O ring in the new filter/box! I've had to re-use an old one a couple of times...less than ideal.

·
Registered
7,465 Posts
oem filters always..............

·
Registered
27 Posts
oem filters always..............
And the modified 2 liter soda bottle of your choice to catch that OEM oil filter drip :BigGrin

Attachments

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
Walmart carries filters? I need to get another for mine.
Many here avoid Fram filters..... I have been using them for decades. All recent Kawasaki motorcycles use the same filter. Frams version is the 6017A. $6.85? At Walmart.
I'll take a Fram over a leaky KN any day lol
Iv'e been using Shell Rotella T6 and Purolator PL14612 filters on my 2009 since brand new (about 70,000 miles on it now). I get them at Advance Auto, or you can also get them at Amazon: https://amzn.to/2QiM5IW

1 - 19 of 19 Posts