Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's how my oil change went on Saturday. Went to the local DIY shop called MotoShop along with Kawi 10-40 oem oil and filter. Bike was due for oil change with 3800 miles. Drained the oil. Removed the filer. No biggie. But the drain plug back in and put the new filter on. Put about a little less than 3 quarts of oil in the bike and looked through sight glass. Started it up for about 30 seconds and the red light never went away. Turned it off. Was a bit puzzled and asked a guy a couple lifts away about it and he asked if I filled the filter up with oil. I didn't. I removed the filter, put oil in it and re installed it. Fired it up again for 10 seconds and light was still on. Did it a couple more time for shorts 10 second inverts. Nothing. Light was still on. He suggested that I most likely have an air pocket formed before the oil pump because of not filling the filter at the beginning. Went online and did some research and found a couple comments about building pressure taking some time and someone suggesting online even blipping the throttle. Tried the blipping just once and still no luck. Eventually what I did end up doing was taking the bike off the lift and leaning it over from left to right. Fired it up and the light was gone.

My question is do you think I did any harm to the engine? Engine sounds fine and I even think throttle response is a bit smoother for some reason. Only thing I did notice was that the engine temp the other day was around 200 going at 35mph for about 3 miles down the road. This was during a humid 55-60 degree day.

I am a bit paranoid to be honest and just wanted to hear your opinions. The was the most unusual oil change I have ever done and I have performed hundreds of oil changed on cars and a handful on my SV and this was the first one on the Kawi.

·
Registered
768 Posts
you definitely don't have enough oil in your bike.

Stand the bike up level and look through the sight glass, it should be halfway between the lines.

You also probably need to burp the system.

Why you blipped the throttle with the low pressure light on is absolutely beyond me, I would drop the pan and make sure you don't have shavings in there now.

Just my $0.02

·
Registered
676 Posts
To get the air out just loosen the filter and run the motor til oil comes out some tighten up the filter shut it off check your oil level add if needed usually will

·
Registered
384 Posts
I was checking out the new 636 over the weekend and wondered why they put the oil filter where they did. How cumbersome was removing the oil filter/cleaning?

I've never heard of having an air bubble during an oil change since the cap is opening during refill and the fresh oil will eventually fill up in the oil filter. Why you put less than the req amount and then started it is also beyond me but your bike should be fine.

I know it's a bit too late but did you do the mototune method to break it in? Done it on all of my bikes and it's really effective.

Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not enough oil
I filled it up using the sight glass. I put in the correct amount after the engine lubricated itself.
you definitely don't have enough oil in your bike.

Stand the bike up level and look through the sight glass, it should be halfway between the lines.

You also probably need to burp the system.

Why you blipped the throttle with the low pressure light on is absolutely beyond me, I would drop the pan and make sure you don't have shavings in there now.

Just my $0.02
Oil level is fine now. About the blipping, it's just what I read actually on this forum. Can't I just drain the oil and see if there are shavings?

To get the air out just loosen the filter and run the motor til oil comes out some tighten up the filter shut it off check your oil level add if needed usually will
This is what I wanted to do, but the guy a couple lifts away advised against it since he said I could blow the gasket on the filter or the gasket could not reseat itself because of the pressure.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was checking out the new 636 over the weekend and wondered why they put the oil filter where they did. How cumbersome was removing the oil filter/cleaning?

I've never heard of having an air bubble during an oil change since the cap is opening during refill and the fresh oil will eventually fill up in the oil filter. Why you put less than the req amount and then started it is also beyond me but your bike should be fine.

I know it's a bit too late but did you do the mototune method to break it in? Done it on all of my bikes and it's really effective.

Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power
It actually wasn't cumbersome at all to remove or install the filter. If you have one of those cups with a 3/8 extension with a ratchet, it's easy. I used this maluable plastic that I put under the filter and didn't really make a mess.

About the oil not being filled to the correct amount upon the first start was because I had a jug of kawi oil, not a 4 separate quart containers. I most likely put in about 3 quarts, and I was going to top it off to get the correct reading as soon as the bike circulated the oil.

I didn't do the mototune method. I just did the break in according to manual. I'm not fully convinced about the mototune break in because there are manufactures like BMW with the S1000RR that does not allow the bike even to go beyond a certain RPM until the break in is complete via ECU control.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Check your oil level and ride the bike. I'm sure it's fine. Next time prime the filter with a bit of oil.
I will definitely prime it the next time. I'm pretty sure it's fine too, since I didn't hear any abnormal from the valve train or knocking. I guess I just wanted some reassurance.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I will definitely prime it the next time. I'm pretty sure it's fine too, since I didn't hear any abnormal from the valve train or knocking. I guess I just wanted some reassurance.
Did the light eventually quit blinking?

·
Registered
177 Posts
You need 3.3 quarts of oil. The lack of .3 probably won't harm the engine. You don't need to fill the filter with oil. I would take it into the dealership for the light. I just changed the oil for my 13 last weekend.

·
Registered
384 Posts
It actually wasn't cumbersome at all to remove or install the filter. If you have one of those cups with a 3/8 extension with a ratchet, it's easy. I used this maluable plastic that I put under the filter and didn't really make a mess.

About the oil not being filled to the correct amount upon the first start was because I had a jug of kawi oil, not a 4 separate quart containers. I most likely put in about 3 quarts, and I was going to top it off to get the correct reading as soon as the bike circulated the oil.

I didn't do the mototune method. I just did the break in according to manual. I'm not fully convinced about the mototune break in because there are manufactures like BMW with the S1000RR that does not allow the bike even to go beyond a certain RPM until the break in is complete via ECU control.
Oh ok. Did you remove the front sprocket cover to clean up any drips behind that?

I remember my 05 6RR was engineered very well that when the bike was on the rear stand, I don't need to remove any of the fairings.

The oil filter was positioned perfectly so that when you removed it, the oil would drip through one of the vents on the fairings. The belly had a big enough opening for tools, your hands and to drip.

The BMW's ECU doesn't allow you to go over 9K for the first 600 miles. However, you don't need to redline it, you just need to load the engine hard for the first 20 miles then drain the oil. It's very effective method and my '01 R1 had 46K miles with all of the valves within spec.

·
Registered
84 Posts
What do you mean prime the filter? I haven't dont the oil change yet. im waiting for warmer weather.. but wtf.. i thought your just supposed to put some oil around the seal of the filter... not put oil IN the filter.

?

·
Registered
768 Posts
What do you mean prime the filter? I haven't dont the oil change yet. im waiting for warmer weather.. but wtf.. i thought your just supposed to put some oil around the seal of the filter... not put oil IN the filter.

?
putting oil INSIDE the filter is called "priming".

·
Registered
4 Posts
Are oil change's really that complex... drain oil, replace filter, your owners manual tells you how much oil to put back in(hell its even stamped on the side of your engine case.) Then you run for a few minutes, shut it off, then check your oil in sight glass after about 5 minutes, top off if needed. Don't need to over think a simple task like an oil change. New bike or old bike, not like they've re engineered the oil change. My wife does her own oil changes for goodness sakes...

·
Registered
395 Posts
You'll be fine. Mine did that the first time I did my own oil change and it never caused an issue. And I let my oil system drain dry so I put the recommended 3.8 quarts in mine.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Are oil change's really that complex... drain oil, replace filter, your owners manual tells you how much oil to put back in(hell its even stamped on the side of your engine case.) Then you run for a few minutes, shut it off, then check your oil in sight glass after about 5 minutes, top off if needed. Don't need to over think a simple task like an oil change. New bike or old bike, not like they've re engineered the oil change. My wife does her own oil changes for goodness sakes...
They aren't at all! That's why I was baffled about the whole thing. I've done countless oil changes in the past and this was the only time I've come across this happening. I just wanted some simple feed back for a simple occurence that happened.

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
Folks that are newer to this stuff (read: ME) get concerned if ANYTHING doesn't go perfectly, even something as mundane as an oil change.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts

?

For a split second, your motor isn't receiving any oil from the filter.

Not a good thing.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts