Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started doing track days on an '07 ZX6R earlier this year.
I changed the oil after the first one, and noting the engine temp got pretty high, switched to Motul 7100 synthetic believing that synthetic would handle the temps better. Figured it would handle the high revs better as well.
Changed the oil again after 2 track days, then this last time, got to calculating and realized a track day is probably 100-120 miles TOPS. The oil I drained after 4 track days looked fine, MIGHT have been just the slightest bit darker than new oil, and I'm not even sure of that.
I know a lot of people change their oil every track day, or every other track day, but surely synthetic oil holds up better than this.
How often is an oil change REALLY necessary?

·
Registered
11,663 Posts
If I'm doing a lot of track days I'll probably change the oil about every 3rd or 4th track day. I'm about due myself and have put on about 1500 miles maybe since the last change. Have done some street riding in that time frame as well.

Ultimately... I'd say change it as often as you think you can afford hahaha. And as often as you think you need to. I'm currently using the Motul 300v double ester and it breaks down pretty quickly compared to the 7100.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any definitive reason for changing it then? Everyone seems to have a different opinion.

·
Registered
11,663 Posts
Well.... When running over 10k all day long the oil goes through the filter bypass so it's not always filtering. So it can get mucked up pretty fast.

I'm just OCD about certain things... so I change my oil much more often than is required in the manual. Even street riding with Motul 7100 I change it about every 2500-3000 miles.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Well.... When running over 10k all day long the oil goes through the filter bypass so it's not always filtering. So it can get mucked up pretty fast.

I'm just OCD about certain things... so I change my oil much more often than is required in the manual. Even street riding with Motul 7100 I change it about every 2500-3000 miles.
Right with ya.
Are engines are designed to be push to the breaking point at all times.
My bike gets fresh Repsol every 2k miles, and I don't even do track days.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Any definitive reason for changing it then? Everyone seems to have a different opinion.
I don't think there's anything at all wrong with changing your oil MORE frequently than the manufacturer suggests - at the end of the day, your motorcycle's life's blood being kept "cleaner" is never a bad thing...

That said, the amount of R&D that goes into the production of today's oils is simply ridiculous...oils are designed to last every bit as long as the manufacturer (of the oil) suggests under the conditions the oil was designed for. In the end, if their suggested oil change intervals are too long and people start having issues with their engines - they lose...big time. Will your oil be adequate if you follow the manufacturer's or the oil company's standards? Absolutely. Will your bike possibly be better off if you change it more frequently? Absolutely...

I plan on changing mine about twice as often as my Kawi owner's manual tells me to do. At the end of the day, I have an unlimited mile warranty on my bike until it's 5th birthday EVEN IF I FOLLOW THE OWNER'S MANUAL EXACTLY...but it'll still make me feel better changing it more often...lol

·
Registered
457 Posts
I have now had my bike for a little over 3000 miles and i bought it with just under 3000. With that being said, and since I have OCD with my "pleasure" vehicles or toys, my oil has been changed twice in the 3000. Once after 1000 miles of my riding which should have been on brand new oil from the dealer but I wasn't sure so I changed it anyways and just went with synthetic. And the second change was done this week after 1500 miles. I will now change it every 2000 just because that's how i am.

My daily driver is changed with a new filter every 3000 no matter what oil I run. My mustang is done every 2000 or so but those miles are over a 6 month period or less because it gets around 11 miles to the gallon and is either a track car or nice day cruise. After my new engine in that car, the filter was changed after 100 miles and oil changed twice in 1500.

I look at oil as a cheap alternative. Either run it a long time and potentially damage your engine or do what I do and change it when you feel it is necessary. I know for a fact the oil that is produced now is much better than in the past because of the line of work I am in. I test automotive and agricultural engines and our oil changes go 100-300 hours of non stop living hell. Much more abuse than any of us could ever do to an engine and the oil holds up very well.

I change my oil more than it needs to be done just for ky peace of mind and that is all that matters to me.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have now had my bike for a little over 3000 miles and i bought it with just under 3000. With that being said, and since I have OCD with my "pleasure" vehicles or toys, my oil has been changed twice in the 3000. Once after 1000 miles of my riding which should have been on brand new oil from the dealer but I wasn't sure so I changed it anyways and just went with synthetic.
You've basically described how I have always looked at it - I used to be religious about changing the oil in my cars and trucks at 3000 miles, but for automotive applications, I've read technical articles explaining in detail that today's manufacturing techniques just don't require it anymore.

I haven't been able to find anything as definitive for bikes, and especially for track day bikes that see redline much more than they would on the street.

I think with the synthetic I'm using, I could go much further, but although I'm not going to go back to changing it every other track day, I AM going to change it more frequently than I feel is necessary unless and until I get bertter information suggesting I'm wasting time and money.

FYI, I'm sure different manufacturers make different recommendations, but BMW specifically stated for my R1200RT, the bike should not be switched to synthetic until after 6,000 miles. They claim it prevents the motor from 'breaking in' properly. I guess it must be really slippery stuff - so much the better!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts