Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What oil type should i use for an 07 Zx6R? 10W-40? What API?
What kinda oil filter? Can i just get it from Auto Zone or something?
Any help would be great..

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
you can get the mobil 1 mx4t synthetic from auto zone or you can get the shell rotella 5w40 synthetic from walmart, im currently runnin the rotella and love the stuff

·
Registered
165 Posts
id go with mobil 1 10w40 thats wat i run and love it and i jus get my filter from walmart

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The shell rotella 5w40.. isnt that for trucks and other heavy engines? Have u been using it for a while? Just wanna make sure its safe..
Also, ZX636, do u use Mobile 1 10w40 high mileage? Have u noticed any clutch issues by using an automobile oil?

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
don't us any automotive engine oil, they have detergents in the oil that will ruin your wet clutch, use motorcycle specific oil. i use repsol 5w40 with a K&N filter and my baby has about 7500miles on the ticker. I have had no problems running this combo.

·
Registered
517 Posts
you can use the Rotella synthetic or standard oil. i use Mobil 1 racing 4T and a Bosch 3300 oil filter. you can use automotive oil as long as its not Energy Conserving (this will ruin your clutch). personally, i just use the Mobil 1 bike oil because...i like Mobil 1 and it works!

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
i use motul oil and K&N oil filter

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
The shell rotella 5w40.. isnt that for trucks and other heavy engines? Have u been using it for a while? Just wanna make sure its safe..
Also, ZX636, do u use Mobile 1 10w40 high mileage? Have u noticed any clutch issues by using an automobile oil?
yes ive been runnin rotella for a while now & havent had any problems even with the clutch, its rated toward big trucks but if you look on there site its safe to run in a wet clutch setup bike & if you look at the price vs other motorcycle synthetic oils you will come back :)

·
Registered
165 Posts
no i never noticed nething different seems fine to me and it acctually goes into 1st from neutral alot smoother than wat i was running before

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I ran the rotella and it works good so far.. Got the filter from walmart... Spent about 5 hrs trying to get the darn filter out.. thank God its done. Thanks for all da help bros.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
I ran the rotella and it works good so far.. Got the filter from walmart... Spent about 5 hrs trying to get the darn filter out.. thank God its done. Thanks for all da help bros.
that rotella is some good stuff man, also i hope you poured alittle oil inside the filter before installing

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
that rotella is some good stuff man, also i hope you poured alittle oil inside the filter before installing
I didnt pour oil inside, but i did rub some oil around the edges with my finger. My bike starts fine but when i put it into first gear, it shuts off! Do i need to take the filter out and pour oil in it and re-install? I dont know what else could be the problem.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
i would check your kickstand sensor... if its unplugged or shot it will run while in N but shut off as soon as you put it in gear. not putting oil in the filter before install should not cause this problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
When you put on your new filter don't tighten it with a death grip so you can service it much easier next time :)

When I got mine, the guy that had it before me used thread lock on the oil filter and it was a nightmare to remove without letting any of the threadlock fall into the engine.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts