Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So there's a guy here at work that races his Aprilia. It's mainly a track bike, that occationally he takes to the twisties. He helped me dial in my suspension a couple months back and explained rebound and all that jazz. Somewhere between adjusting my suspension and putting air in my tires we started talking about after-market suspension... and how I should be spending money on that and NOT all the rest of the crap I've been buying. :coocoo

... he said he knows a guy who either works on or works for Ohlins. "He's the Ohlins guy of the west coast". I finally got word about 2 mins ago while passing him in the hallway and had to share it. He doesn't have a valve kit for the front forks for my bike, "but he can put one together". :devious The price is right, but it isn't set in stone. The price also comes with a fork rebuild. I was already planning on doing this, now I just don't have to do the work myself. And they come back significantly upgraded. My co-worker hinted that I might be able to persuade him into doing a package deal for the rear... but I told him I might not have the money for that. BUT, the front forks are gonna def gettin done and MAYBE if I'm lucky, I'll get a rear some how. I have NO ETA time and now I can't go to powder coat until the forks get done.

I know this is sort of a lame post, but I don't really have anyone to tell this to who actually gives a shit.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
If the Ohlin's connection is legit and the price is something you are comfortable with then yes...Jump on it. If you do go through with the hassle of getting the fork tubes powercoated, make sure you know what fluid and what weight the suspension guy uses so you can refill it with the same shit, and to the same level.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If the Ohlin's connection is legit and the price is something you are comfortable with then yes...Jump on it. If you do go through with the hassle of getting the fork tubes powercoated, make sure you know what fluid and what weight the suspension guy uses so you can refill it with the same shit, and to the same level.
So would you powder coat, then ship him the forks?

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
I would be all over that deal. Talk to the guy explain your time frame maybe he can work with you on doing the package deal.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
I wouldn't worry about powdercoating my fork tubes...but yea, would be better off having them done first. Or see if the Suspension guy could get them done on your behalf and just add it to the cost of doing business. The forks will need to come apart for the work anyway.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wouldn't worry about powdercoating my fork tubes...but yea, would be better off having them done first. Or see if the Suspension guy could get them done on your behalf and just add it to the cost of doing business. The forks will need to come apart for the work anyway.
True. I was already planning on draining etc. for powder, so ... I think that's what I'll do. Powder coat first, then ship them to "the dude". :satisfied:

Thanks for the input. And I know, it's mildly silly to powdercoat the forks. lol. Mostly a "look thing" but the money was/is there and I just wanna do it.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would be all over that deal. Talk to the guy explain your time frame maybe he can work with you on doing the package deal.
... ya we'll see. I'm def going to ask first, but I told him to tell "the dude" that I DEF want my forks done. No matter what.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Just an idea...... Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy 09+ front forks and re valve them? Ohlins already makes the springs. Plus they come in black.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just an idea...... Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy 09+ front forks and re valve them? Ohlins already makes the springs. Plus they come in black.
It's an idea. But I doubt it's cheaper. Forks are expensive.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You would indeed need the clamps as well which are ~$240 for both top and bottom.

Powder coating seems like the best option here.. :O
Ya, def the best option. Plus I know my forks are straight. I'd rather not take a chance. And I have no idea what "put together a kit" includes/doesn't include. Plus I would treat it just like my tattoo artist, I give him the gist and he does the rest. I'd put my faith in him, and see what I get. Don't mess with an artist's art. ;)

·
Registered
297 Posts
Being it powder coated I can't see how you gonna slide the tubes though the triple clamp without it getting all scratch up.

Ryan has a fork set with Ohlins valve kit for very good price on here. I believe its sprung for a 200lbs rider. If you're spending more then $500 at least buying Ryan's you'll still have your original forks. If you ever decide to sell your bike you can slap on my original and resale the forks..

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Being it powder coated I can't see how you gonna slide the tubes though the triple clamp without it getting all scratch up.

Ryan has a fork set with Ohlins valve kit for very good price on here. I believe its sprung for a 200lbs rider. If you're spending more then $500 at least buying Ryan's you'll still have your original forks. If you ever decide to sell your bike you can slap on my original and resale the forks..
Ya we've (guys at work) have talked about it. "Carefully" was thrown out there. But we'll see when we get there. Yet another reason why I'm doing it, most people don't, or won't. "Not your average ZX6" if you can dig it.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
301 Posts
suspension hands down is the best mod for the money, pending your going to use it in the manor it would benefit you. not a big fan of powder coating fork tubes, i would look towards the anodizing so it doesn't add a thicker layer to the tubes.

Look for a set of ak20's by traxxion, they work very well in those forks

Reactions: MasterTurkey

·
Registered
86 Posts

My forks are still available, lots of interest already this morning, thanks for the recommendation 2slow!

It is nice to have your original forks, should you ever decide to sell.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts