Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone on here with ohlins setup experience? TTX rear + 30mm cartridge up front. I am putting everything back together today but was curious on ride height from the start. Do I stay with stock out back and 8mm above the triple up front? If nobody knows I will post my setup here & let everyone know what my experience is.

-E

·
Director of Moderation
9,564 Posts
Which bike? I have TTX and 30mm cartridges on my '09.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I dropped 10mm for the front to set the geometry. On the bottom of the cartridge, I couldn't use the oem bumper. So I had to get a new one which gives me 130mm of fork travel from 140mm stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Director of Moderation
9,564 Posts
^The fork length should be the same though. It's just internally, the travel is 10mm longer. That does not affect front ride height. So now yours is lower than stock.

I'm not sure about other zx6r gens, but on the '09-'12, stock height is 5mm above the triple clamp. I raised mine by 5mm so now their flush with the clamp. Before that, the bike was very twitchy and constantly wanted to get into a tank-slapper. My TTX is set at about stock length (at least within 1 mm, hard to measure it exactly without calipers).

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
I am assuming that if you are putting Ohlins suspension on it that this bike is bound for the track. If you are street riding, do whatever you want as the difference will not be noticeable.

If the Ohlins forks that you are using have the same outer tube length as OEM you will actually want to raise the front end of the bike as much as you have room for. At the very least you will want them flush with the top triples. You will find much improved stability and a more reasonable swingarm angle. Many track riders of our bikes actually put fork extenders on them so that they can go above where the stock forks allow.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry for the lack of details--- Bike is a '16 636. Stock says 7mm above triple, sport rider says 8mm. I put it right at 7 (only counting the black tube, not the ohlins caps) which puts it at approximately 8mm. The shock I put in at stock height. I am coming off an '08 10r that was flush so IM used to tossing something heavy but havent gotten a day in yet to know the difference. I am 195 w/ gear so i had to change everything & figured I would bite the bullet up front.

-E

·
Registered
102 Posts
Sorry for the lack of details--- Bike is a '16 636. Stock says 7mm above triple, sport rider says 8mm. I put it right at 7 (only counting the black tube, not the ohlins caps) which puts it at approximately 8mm. The shock I put in at stock height. I am coming off an '08 10r that was flush so IM used to tossing something heavy but havent gotten a day in yet to know the difference. I am 195 w/ gear so i had to change everything & figured I would bite the bullet up front.

-E

What spring weight did you get?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Set the forks flush and ride it. If the bike has lights go out and find some good twisty roads and give it a GO. What sag numbers are you running?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bike is track only (I got my fill of street riding in my 20s). .95 springs up front. Going to set the initial settings up for 25mm of sag and bounce everything into spec for compression/rebound before working with a local suspension tuner at chuckwalla. Just wasnt sure if there was anyone here spinning some decent lap times that could help me on ride height outside of stock.

Likely going to be running GPAs for the first few sessions before deciding on slicks for race days in the fall.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I like the .95 rate in front and 100 Ohlins spring rear? Yes. Sounds good. 25mm sag rear and I would go 30mm or a bit more front. I like a bit more in the front but it is preference. Flush to fork cap to start and see how it turns in and how stable it is at speed.

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Not sure what your pace is like but if you plan on leaving the front end at that height, make sure that you have a steering damper and be aware that the bike is literally going to fall into corners like that. It is also going to chatter like a bitch if you are able to push.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not sure what your pace is like but if you plan on leaving the front end at that height, make sure that you have a steering damper and be aware that the bike is literally going to fall into corners like that. It is also going to chatter like a bitch if you are able to push.
I am coming off of an 08 zx10r. Was doing 1:43s at Fontana in California, and 1:58s in Chuck on Q3s and a stock front end. IDK if thats fast enough to feel what you are saying but I'll likely raise it up to start from a bit more stable---especially w/out the stabilizer.

This is my first time on the track on a 600, and the first time on real suspension--- so im excited to learn the capabilities at the limit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts