Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So after exactly 20 years of riding and racing motocross I've decieded to call it quits on motocross. Since I found the love of track days in 08' my riding has dwindled down and found more enjoyment on the asphalt. I realized that as you get older, you don't bounce that well anymore.

A few years ago I was invited to a private supercross track for a day of riding. Mad Mike Jones was even there riding again. We rode up through a field for awhile to find a groomed sx track full of huge jumps not leaving much room for error. I was excited! Moto-utopia if you will. I rode around rolling the jumps to get a feel and that's when it happened. Some guy came up short on an 80ft uphill double, went over the bars and got knocked the F out! Once he came too he was junk, vomitting, spitting up blood and didn't know where he was at. One guy raced back to the house right after he saw it and brought a truck in and took him to the hospital.

Never the one to shy away from any jumps, I prided myself on being one of the first guys try it while my friends watched. Yeah, maybe bragging rights and or an ego thing. That's when something changed. I couldn't jump anything? I knew the ability was there, the bike was mechanically sound but it just jacked me up mentally. Now I've jumped a 100ft table top in 4th gear pinned all day long, not a big deal actually quite fun. (pic below) But the whole risk vs. reward thing was weighing heavily on my mind.

A few weeks went by and forgot all about the kid. He was fine, brocken collar bone, some internal bleeding, concusion ect. Hell, it's moto it happens. So I went up to the local mx track for some riding one day and it just wasn't fun anymore. Just going through the motions. Packed up and headed home. The bike sat for a couple years as my love for track days increased. No more wasing the dirt bike, gear and hating to load and unload eveything. Being so tired when I got home and through out the next day. While getting more excited about loading the streebike up, buying bodywork, working on body postion ect.

I was never really that fast in the dirt compared to some local A guys. My dream of getting to Loretta Lynns was diminished as I came close once during regionals, but I was three places out of going to the state qualifier that year. So it's with a heavy heart I'm hanging the boots up to focus the next adventure.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Now I'm confused... are done with ALL 2 wheeled vehicles, or just the motocross? Looks like you were a lot better than you say you were...

·
Registered
133 Posts
Looks like you did pretty good there comes a point in time where you must realize that you are not able to accomplish the things that you once did it's part of growing up.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Just done with dirt. Sorry for the confusion. Probably should of proof read the title. Can't seem to change the thread title either. I'm in the process of moving to another house. I always wanted a pic with all the accomplishments through out the years. Now the trophies are all pack up in boxes.

·
Administrator
8,182 Posts
20 years? I'd say that's a good run, especially with all of that bling you've got lined up there. :)

Anyway, what a cool write up. I was actually just doing a thread search the other day for someone else's thread and I happened to see one that you started years ago (although, not quite 20 years ago... you old hag :p).

Wayback Wednesday - A Tribute To O'malley's Dirty Days: http://zx6r.com/pictures/9725-mx-race-pics.html

·
Registered
8,196 Posts
Just done with dirt. Sorry for the confusion. Probably should of proof read the title. Can't seem to change the thread title either. I'm in the process of moving to another house. I always wanted a pic with all the accomplishments through out the years. Now the trophies are all pack up in boxes.
I can see you are a very humble person. Great pics. You have amazing skill.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
20 years? I'd say that's a good run, especially with all of that bling you've got lined up there. :)

Anyway, what a cool write up. I was actually just doing a thread search the other day for someone else's thread and I happened to see one that you started years ago (although, not quite 20 years ago... you old hag :p).

Wayback Wednesday - A Tribute To O'malley's Dirty Days: http://zx6r.com/pictures/9725-mx-race-pics.html
Haha, ah jeez that was sometime ago.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
You came closer than most and you walked away. I would say that is a victory my friend. A wall of trophies, you Live to race another day.

·
Administrator
8,182 Posts
Have you tried, or do you have any interest in Supermoto?

Also it looks like you edited the title of this but for some reason on the main feed it keeps coming up as the original.

Edit: nevermind, I fixed it for you.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
^^^ +1 this

Supermoto would seem like the natural progression for you, not sure if you've tried it before or what but give it a look, it could give you something to do with the bike. Judging by all those trophies I'd be willing to bet you would be fast right off the hop on the supermoto. Congrats nonetheless all those trophies are certainly an accomplishment.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Have you tried, or do you have any interest in Supermoto?

Also it looks like you edited the title of this but for some reason on the main feed it keeps coming up as the original.

Edit: nevermind, I fixed it for you.
I just saw that thanks...I thought about supermoto but the cost of switching over and the engine wear would drain my limited funds right now. I'm dying to try it though. Maybe one day I can ust buy one already done up with the goodies to be competetive. Thanks for the kind words too smokey!

Well, enjoy your week-end everyone. I'm moving to another house and won't have internet for awhile.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts