• cheap china one. explain.

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • ohlins

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • scotts

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • GPR

Votes: 9 34.6%
  • waste of money, not worth it, don’t get one. explain.

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • other. explain.

Votes: 3 11.5%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i just got a new bike so my fiancé will be riding my 07 zx6r for part of the season. we have had two friends wreck there newer model 650r’s because of tank slap in the last 6months. so we thought lets get a steering damper just for good insurance, in nothing else it will help me sleep at night.
but dang $400+ for one?!?!?!!?!
i did find a cheap off brand china one on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Steering-Damper-with-bracket-Suport-For-Kawasaki-ZX6R-2007-2008-Black-/221291427943?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3385ff3867&vxp=mtr

spend $90 on the china one? or at least $400 on a name brand one? :2fingerlol:

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
So let me understand this, you understand the safety applications of a damper but you want to cheap out on a no name unproven damper that you will have no recourse on if it fails...

Btw how much was that fancy paint job again?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Acually I just looked up some options I had online for my bike, I then put it all together on a cute forum page and requested your opinion on it all cuz I think you guys give good advice. I realize there are some things you can go cheap on and some things you can't, I was simply asking ur opinion if this was one of those things. As ConradM said I don't think I NEED one, BUT the two people who wrecked said it was because they dident have one so of course my fiancé thinks we have to have one. If you are married you would realize it would be easier to say yes dear and buy a cheap damper then to say ur friends are retards and don't know what they are talking about. BTW I did both my paint jobs myself, I used extra paint from other projects to paint my bike so my paint job cost probably under $80. Would you like a copy of my W-2 while we are going over all this? Forums are made for questions and answers. Maybe I did ask a ignorant question and I deserve a ignorant answer but I was just wanting ur guys feed back.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I wouldn't go cheap Chinese damper. But I think any of the name brands should do the trick. I haven't put one on my 636 yet but haven't accelerated that hard on it yet, but I was thinking of the GPR.

·
Registered
9,971 Posts
Acually I just looked up some options I had online for my bike, I then put it all together on a cute forum page and requested your opinion on it all cuz I think you guys give good advice. I realize there are some things you can go cheap on and some things you can't, I was simply asking ur opinion if this was one of those things. As ConradM said I don't think I NEED one, BUT the two people who wrecked said it was because they dident have one so of course my fiancé thinks we have to have one. If you are married you would realize it would be easier to say yes dear and buy a cheap damper then to say ur friends are retards and don't know what they are talking about. BTW I did both my paint jobs myself, I used extra paint from other projects to paint my bike so my paint job cost probably under $80. Would you like a copy of my W-2 while we are going over all this? Forums are made for questions and answers. Maybe I did ask a ignorant question and I deserve a ignorant answer but I was just wanting ur guys feed back.

eh, conrad bought chinese rotors and he's still kicking, so if you feel confident go for it. im sure someone some where on the internets have boght one of these things. id start googling it if your concerned about it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Funny as I'm just looking at the same thing. I picked my Track Bike up for £500 without at V5. Intended to spend as little as possible on it but I'm now addicted to modifying it. I too had a slide due to two things, Firstly it was the second to last session of the day at mallory park and I started to tire and secondly under heavy breaking the front wheel started to twitch and as I leant the bike over in the apex it slid from under me. Without the twitch I wouldn't have binned it.

The bikes absolutely fine and I'm back out next week. Just wondering of the Chinese dampers could save me some cash for now until I can afford an ohlins.

Reactions: bowhunter11

·
Registered
623 Posts
Google reviews or let your wife be the test dummy.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
relax, dont get all aggro on us. i think what they mean to say is although you dont NEED one, you CLEARLY havnt had speed wobbles at a high speed yet... or maybe you have. point is, theyre intended to absorb some of the vibration and DAMPEN your steering.

Dont need dampeners but they sure as hell could help. As far as a cheapie, sure, why not. never heard of one seizing up before... of course i dont know anyone thats gotten one other than scotts, gpr, or ohlins either. maybe thats why ohlins come stock on more upscale, italian bikes? dunno, but yeah, they can only help your situation imo.

Reactions: bowhunter11

·
Registered
879 Posts
theyre intended to absorb some of the vibration and DAMPEN your steering.

Dont need dampeners but they sure as hell could help.
say it with me now, "damper, damper, damper". unless you want something on the bike that sprays you with a little water... :laugh

all kidding aside, if damper's were no big deal then they wouldn't be an absolute requirement of CMRA safety addons to bikes. you can't go racing in CMRA without a damper. for normal street riding i dunno if they are necessary, but having been through a high speed wobble, ic an say without a doubt, that dampers are critical on track.

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
Not to be a huge dick or anything, but if you're planning to stay married once you get married, you'd better plan to either live at her every request, or learn to be honest and have a real grown-up conversation :O

That being said, I probably wouldn't trust the chinese one, but it's worth investigating at least. I don't know of anyone who has used one, but if you can find some reviews or something, please share them :bigthumb:

·
Registered
13,081 Posts
I fall in the category of don't waste your money. If you feel the need to buy one, spend the money and get a known good unit. You pay to play.

As it is, I know for what I do on the ZX6, the FZ6 I had before that, the VZ800C I had before that, the VF1100S I had before that, and on all of the multitude of bikes I have mooched rides on -- I don't personally need a steering damper.

The ZX6R I have now came with the Ohlins faux damper -- it doesn't do sh*t.

I don't need it. I ride with it set to zero, as it is more annoying than anything else.

Yes, if I hop on the gas hard enough to get the front end light on choppy pavement, the bars will waggle once or twice.

Like many other things in life, you are supposed to pay attention to the indications that sh*t might be about to get serious and act accordingly.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Never go full offbrand.

Cheap parts are cheap for a reason. I have had offbrand parts fail me before so I stick with the name brands. I want to ride my bike without the thought of " Will I have a safe ride or will that cheap part fail while I am riding?".

That's my personal opinion though. Sure I could replace it for cheaper but I don't like waiting for a new part to arrive. Name brands have their reputation on the line when they sell their product so for the most part, the quality is usually higher.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
say it with me now, "damper, damper, damper". unless you want something on the bike that sprays you with a little water... :laugh

all kidding aside, if damper's were no big deal then they wouldn't be an absolute requirement of CMRA safety addons to bikes. you can't go racing in CMRA without a damper. for normal street riding i dunno if they are necessary, but having been through a high speed wobble, ic an say without a doubt, that dampers are critical on track.
...still gonna say dampener... dunno y, but its engrained in me :2fingerlol: ... ... ... but yes im wrong. btw, im sexy and i know it :nana:

Reactions: ilotek

·
Registered
441 Posts
I've heard a steering damper is not necessary for street riding. I'm with everyone else who says your friends probably wrecked because of rider error. I have reduced my tank slaps tremendously by setting my suspension correctly, and keeping as much weight off the handlebars as possible.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
+1 to weight off handlerbars... Learning to relax grip and use your hips helps alot.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts